The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Broken Fang

telekris

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone... I'm a new whippet owner and I would like to post something pleasant along with pictures of Trever (my whippet) but unfortunately we had an accident over here. Trever is 65 days old and he is an awsome dog. Tonight we were playing around the house and having a great time until he started tugging at my jeans (which is quite normal). I started to bend to make him leave my jeans as the trainer showed me when he gave a hard tug, then a cry and ran away. I immediately checked his mouth because I saw something white fly into the air and I saw that he had broken his fang and there was some blood on the tooth. He is very miserable and keeps "slurping" but still tries to get the cats to play with him and I feel so stupid, I've only had him three days and he 's already had an accident. I'm taking him first thing in the morning to the vet but I feel so stupid and worried. Has anyone had a similiar accident with their whippet? Do you know if he'll have permanent damage? I hope he'll grow his new tooth normally...

It should not be a problem. At only 65 days old, it will be a baby tooth.

Good Luck with Trevor.

Cathie

Can't offer any advice but I'm sure the vet will reassure you in the morning. :luck: Otherwise there is always the doggy orthodontist ;)

It is awful when they are hurt :huggles:

No need to see a vet :) He only has his baby teeth in this moment, which are just about to come out soon anyway.

Yes, don't worry, the new one will be through soon :thumbsup: Milk teeth have no roots, so it's not as awful as it sounds - he's probably a little bit tender round his gums, but hey! he's a whippet, and they're made of tough stuff :p He will be fine.

he has also learned a very valuable lesson 'when i play rough bitey games, it can hurt if i play too hard'

don't beat yourself up too much telekris, just see this as part of your puppy's education - the damage is cosmetic and he'll have shiny new gnashers soon anyway :thumbsup:

hey everyone, thanx a bunch for the soothing! The vet said he did a pretty good job of breaking his fang and that he'll be fine!

Pics are coming up, I'm not good at taking pics when he's running around (they ARE fast!)

Anyway, Trever is doing fine and his favorite things are eating poo, licking the cats in inappropriate areas of their body and eating paper!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back