The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Buying a puppy

William nation

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi my name's Bill my son is desperate for a puppy I have tried RSPCA and other dog rescue sites but couldn't find any suitable as we have 2cats and none of the dogs advertising said not suitable for mixing with cats so any sites that you guys can recommend as want to make sure I don't get any puppy farms

List of beginners dogs who can do well with cats and wait. List good breeders? You be on a waiting list and expect to be shaved.

You could try rescue remedies they are based nr gatwick but home all over the country ...
What breed are you looking to adopt. ..
Prodogs direct are a great rescue too ...

I've had cats all my life and our dog was brought up with cats from the age of 4 weeks. I trust him with my cats even though he moved in with them at 7 years old, because as my partner's dog his full history was known. It still doesn't stop him chasing cats he meets outside.
My partner who has had dogs all his life says he doesn't feel he could ever fully trust a rescue dog of unknown history with cats or small children unsupervised. So much happens in those early weeks. So I would absolutely hold out for the right puppy and in your position puppy would be far more important than rescue.
Someone I read on another forum brought home two rescue dogs that she had been assured were cat safe for her 4 cats. First huge mistake they took the shelter's word for it, second huge and fatal mistake they didn't take introductions properly and slowly. One cat was killed, the other three traumatised and injured, and the dogs were returned, all in one day.
Cats are also very capable of hurting and even blinding a dog. Dogs are not suitable for cats by breed or by magic, they are made suitable by patience and good management by the humans who choose to mix them. Are your cats suitable to mix with a dog, especially a bouncy puppy? There is much more to consider than a little boy's desperate wants.

How old is your son? It's likely that you will take the brunt of the dog care. Are you up for this?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back