The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bwra Straight Champs 2006

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
wots the area classed as? birmingham? wolverhampton? :blink: just wondering?

John M;Yes it is in Sandwell Boro,in between Oldbury and Blackheath right by Birchfield Motorway Island, But if you have not been to the Club since its been re-built,You won,t know it.

1989 last time i was there :D

was a nightmare to find then don't know if it's any easier now.

if i remember correctly there was a old wooden pavillion and the track ran diagnally across the field, was'nt a bad running surface :thumbsup:

Don't think i've ever been, sounds good though, long as the track could be made reasonable.

Suppose we'll find out soon enough :cheers:

greyhoundp said:
This site is Birchley Sports  & Social Club just TWO minutes from Jct 2 of the M5,that should be the Clue <TWO Minutes>to everyone who has raced in this area Dudley K Rugby Club is a lot further away from the Motorway,and awkward to get to.Birchley Sports & Social used to stage Whippet Racing up until a few Years ago,when for some reason it stopped,whether it was because of the development to the Clubhouse indeed to some 25% of the site i have no idea,I believe some of the owners came from around the Stoke area.

Does anyone know why the Whippet Racing stopped? at this site.

I almost forgot Mcdonalds 2 Minutes away,2 Hotels 1 Minute away,Garage 1 Minute away,Savacentre <superstore recommended>3 Minutes.As a poster has said all it needs is a good enough Track,that i cannot give my opinion on,which is why i asked,why did Racing stop ?.

We enjoyed some very good racing years back at this track, It would be ideal if the track is still ok.

john m said:
Think it may be the old Sandwell club site?
LOL John just ask Ken for directions its 2 minutes off the moterway if that, but if you dont know where your going you do go round the houses :D

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL; Directions are Motorway Island 4th exit signposted Wolverhampton,2nd Left

Newbury Lane,2nd Left again Brunel Drive.Thats it you are their Birchley Sports & Social Club.

LOL; John G. The directions in 1989 were; Motorway Island 4th Left, Thats it you were there, But i do understand what Tanyia said if you missed that turn you would go the back way,which is now the front way,can you follow that guys?. :b

Tanyia if you liked the venue then,Now it has been rebuilt you will love it even more. I will go so far as to say the Clubhouse Facility would be as good as any in the Country.

I wanted the venue to be the new home for Cradley Heath Speedway and Greyhound Track,but the Council Planners objected,noise,Traffic etc,etc.

greyhoundp said:
LOL; Directions are Motorway Island 4th exit signposted Wolverhampton,2nd LeftNewbury Lane,2nd Left again Brunel Drive.Thats it you are their Birchley Sports & Social Club.

LOL; John G. The directions in 1989 were; Motorway Island 4th Left,  Thats it you were there, But i do understand what Tanyia said if you missed that turn you would go the back way,which is now the front way,can you follow that guys?.  :b

Tanyia if you liked the venue then,Now it has been rebuilt you will love it even more. I will go so far as to say the Clubhouse Facility would be as good as any in the Country.

I wanted the venue to be the new home for Cradley Heath Speedway and Greyhound Track,but the Council Planners objected,noise,Traffic etc,etc.

Did you get my PM ? If not it might help if you could ring Doreen Hopkins , I know she would like to speak to you

Yes;thanks Tanyia i have contacted Doreen,and we are both attempting to contact Bill Randle of the Birchley Club.

if the track is as good as the rest of this facility sounds it is certainly worth finding out more. phil

greyhoundp said:
I think your committee have this in hand I did contact Doreen <i think>and gave her the contact No for the venue just off Jct 2,M5 and providing this venue can cover your racing requirements,Then i believe it would be ideal,It has a new Clubroom for around 200/250 people,There is a small bar/snug for around 20 people,then there is another smaller Clubroom for around 100 people or so,There are over 20+ <forget the exact number> changing rooms with showers, and an area that can be used for Caravans.It is around 15 mins from Birmingham and Wolverhampton City Centres for you Clubbers,and 10 Mins from Merry Hill Shopping Centre.The only thing we cannot provide is the Sea & Beach. ;)

[/

it was me you spoke to Mr Randle was contacted and someone went over and met with him unfortunatly there was a negative response by way of "if the whippets can put on a pair of football boots and kick a ball round they might be welcome" apart from this the ground wasn,t good. It was Sandwells old track

Am i to assume that because the whippets need to wear football boots this isnt a good venue?

As far as i am aware from what i hear, someone looked at this venue for the nwrf but they didn't think the track was good enough, but who's to say with a bit of work it wouldn't be

tanglewood said:
Am i to assume that because the whippets need to wear football boots this isnt a good venue?
this was the response the people got when they met with Mr Randle we took it to mean they were,nt too interested in whippet racing and only interested in it being for football

It was metioned today that Dudley might be able to cater for next years champships this sounds very promising

yea i remember when the derby was there it never stopped raining. glad that it will stay central. someone mite even start club racing there if its allowed. well done doreen and the bwra for gettin this venue. kingswinford whippet club??

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back