The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Calcium/phosphorous

misterp

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, I did do quick search first but no real joy.

Just wondered if anybody really worries about these percentages, I didn't until I bought a Rottie and wanted to do all I could to protect from bone related problems. Anyway after lots of googling it seems that all large breed dogs should be on about 0.8-1.5% calcium (dry matter) and slightly less phosphorous.

This is fine but it seems that unless you buy Eukanuba or Royal Canin it is very hard to find wet or dry food that comes into this bracket, Orijen and Acana seem to be one of the few high quality grain free kibble that have some varieties that match this percentage and when you look at raw food like nutriment it has very high C and P when converted to dry matter.

Is this something anyone else worries about? I can't help think that maybe the real reason for bone problems is when dogs are overweight or they are fed a higher % of phosphorous to calcium.

Any input will be much appreciated, thanks.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back