The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Can anyone identify this plant please?

Flobo

Registered
Partner
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This plant grows and covers a lot of ground in our woodland areas, two of my dogs are quite keen to eat it the leaves but as I am unsure of what it is I tend to dissuade them. I am generally happy with my dogs to self medicate when we're out walking(with their owners permissions) but I do like to have half a clue as to what they are ingesting just in case!
Any ideas or thoughts?
IMG_20220628_130544.jpg
IMG_20220628_130535.jpg

Husband says "Dogs Mercury".
He says it grows in woodlands, ancient woodlands.

Brilliant, thank you husband of @excuseme! Glad I've been instinctive about not letting them eat this one, just had a google:eek:
I wonder why they are attracted to it, unless it is just to induce vomiting, but then I should imagine it's a fine line between a small medicinal dose for vomiting and poisoning! Will keep avoiding then, thank you again:)

Your welcome, there are times when he is useful and other times he just knows too much :mad:

Exactly as you say. Dog's Mercury is eaten by dogs as an emetic, but as with many plants, there is a very fine line between medicinal and harmful. I agree you are wise to keep them away from it. There are plenty of safe herbs and grasses they can eat for the same effect, or you could just put more vegetables in their food,

This plant grows and covers a lot of ground in our woodland areas, two of my dogs are quite keen to eat it the leaves but as I am unsure of what it is I tend to dissuade them. I am generally happy with my dogs to self medicate when we're out walking(with their owners permissions) but I do like to have half a clue as to what they are ingesting just in case!
Any ideas or thoughts?View attachment 111980465 View attachment 111980466

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220709_223802_plant.identification.snap.jpg
    Screenshot_20220709_223802_plant.identification.snap.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 84
I have an app that I use a lot that indentifies plants andnis great. It came up with these three but hou need to search them and see their characteristics to identify better yourself.
The first one, its common name you ll find is dog's mercury that could be very poisonous but don't alarm yourself just yet... I found this later...

'Dog's mercury has spear-shaped, toothed, fresh green leaves carried on upright stems. It produces a foul and rotten smell, and bears clusters of small, greenish flowers in spring.'

So does it stink? If not maybe is one of the other two.

Thank you for your time in researching the "Dogs Mercury". Genus, mercuri.
This plant is found in woodlands / Ancient woodlands, and the plants in the picture were indeed in woodlands.
The Himalayan Balsam that you have also discovered, Genus: impatie, Family; Balsaminaceae, is an invasive weed, weed of riverbanks and ditches.
It is important when trying to identify species to note the whereabouts and situation the plants were happily growing in. :)

Thank you also:)...I seem to of misplaced my glasses:( so can't see the pics on the app! I have come across Himalayan Balsam though, it was rife at the Rotherlands, all along the riverbanks. A nightmare plant and incredibly good at seeding itself, I remember the seed pods actually explode when touched!:eek:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back