The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Canicross

whippet woman

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
For any of you who like to run with your dogs check out this site:

Canicross

The events are very well organised and the dogs love it! The runs are short (2.5 or 5k) so well suited to sighthounds and in lovely locations, but can be challenging on tougher terrain (for the runner not the dogs, of course!).

I am aiming for the only long run, the Neolithic Half Marathon Canicross with 2 of my whippets.

Sighthounds have been poorly represented so far (tho' our 4 whippets help swell the ranks a bit!), & it would be nice to see more at the events.

Here's hoping!

Bobbie__Philip__Pearl___Nick.jpg

Hi whippet woman

I have come across this before and wondered if anybody did it with whippets. Mine only do 2 speeds - walk or sprint, they don't seem to do anything in between :lol:

I've just started to train for a 10k run so I'd love to have my doggies as training buddies but how can I encourage them to slow down?!!!! (w00t) at the moment if I take them they have to go off lead, but then they just sprint around me and run into my legs :angry:

jezza said:
Hi whippet woman
I have come across this before and wondered if anybody did it with whippets. Mine only do 2 speeds - walk or sprint, they don't seem to do anything in between  :lol:

I've just started to train for a 10k run so I'd love to have my doggies as training buddies but how can I encourage them to slow down?!!!!  (w00t)   at the moment if I take them they have to go off lead, but then they just sprint around me and run into my legs  :angry:

Im ok at runing and would worry about my dog being able to keep up with me.He either sprints or just plods along.Before a race i know how much im going to drink when i will drink and what it will be.How would i be able to do this for my dog ??

jezza said:
Hi whippet woman
I have come across this before and wondered if anybody did it with whippets. Mine only do 2 speeds - walk or sprint, they don't seem to do anything in between  :lol:

I've just started to train for a 10k run so I'd love to have my doggies as training buddies but how can I encourage them to slow down?!!!!  (w00t)   at the moment if I take them they have to go off lead, but then they just sprint around me and run into my legs  :angry:

Hi Jezza!

Do a little bit, but often, I think. I taught them "faster" and "slower" and "steady" so they know to go along at different speeds, and "heel" if they start getting very excited and really drag me along, just by doing it with them until they understood. I use a lead with a double couple so they are a bit more contained and say daft things like "team work" & "snuggle up" to encourage them to work as a pair, tho chicken bones and squirrels can sab my best efforts, on the whole they are very cooperative. I choose routes where they do some on the lead and free running, but they like to run along with me, and have got the idea that the aim of the game is not to trip me up. I can actually run with all 4 of them on a lead with 2 couples as they like it lots. They understand the difference between "canicross" and "walkies" before they get out of the door and exactly what they will be doing! Age helps, the youngsters are 4 now and not as manic. Good Luck with it! WW

Pearl___Billie_Cornwall.jpg

ste freemo said:
jezza said:
Hi whippet woman

Im ok at runing and would worry about my dog being able to keep up with me.He either sprints or just plods along.Before a race i know how much im going to drink when i will drink and what it will be.How would i be able to do this for my dog ??

Hi Ste Fremo

You encourage the dog to lead you, as it developed from sledding with huskies, they can run at your side but you are not supposed to drag them around behind you. In races they must be on a lead at all times (there are all sorts of waist belts and harnesses you can get at vast expense, I just use a good old leather lead, a couple and their usual whippet collars). My oldster is a bit of a plodder but I just run slower for her, cos she loves doing it so much, she howls for joy before we set off! The races are in the cooler part of the year only, and the events do have regular water stops; they are short, and mine have not stopped for water so far, tho they might have had a quick opportunist lap at a puddle! For the half marathon CaniX you have to carry 2 litres of water with you or you are not allowed to run. You can get a waist pack that holds water bottles and collapsible water bowls that fold flat, so you can refresh them on them on the hoof so to speak, and refill enroute. I think you need to try short runs and build up, but only if your dog enjoys it. WW

boblet_pupsinnest.jpg

I'd love to try this. My Lurcher could do it no problem but as I would be entering in the 60+ F, I would need to train up even for a 5K. Does anyone know where I could train . I'm in the Bolton/ Horwich area of Lanashire.

Great to know about this...we always run with our dogs and knowing that there are events for this will motivate us even more.

Definitely will go to the Windsor one in April (just to watch this time as the dogs must be over 2 years old and ours are not yet...will be soon though).

I love this forum...very informative.... :thumbsup:

da.fildes said:
I'd love to try this. My Lurcher could do it no problem but as I would be entering in the 60+ F, I would need to train up even for a 5K. Does anyone know where I could train . I'm in the Bolton/ Horwich area of Lanashire.
There is local race called The Tour of Horwich.Its over 5 days and goes over various terrain.If you log on to Horwich Harriers the info will be there.

Hope this helps :cheers:

ste freemo said:
da.fildes said:
There is local race called The Tour of Horwich.Its over 5 days and goes over various terrain.If you log on to Horwich Harriers the info will be there.

Hope this helps :cheers:

Hello, Thanks for the reply. The Harriers sight was full of information for me. It inspired me to have ago on my own, with the dogs running off lead. It'ill be a bit before I can keep up with the dog!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back