The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Canix in aberdeen

mac295

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

Does anyone live in Aberdeen and do CaniX with their dog? I'm keen to start this but it would be good to speak to someone that does it for advice etc as I've never done it before.

I've just had to google CaniX to see what it is! :>

I couldn't imagine running with my dog, she has two speeds, sprint and slow walk lol.

Can't offer adivce but i'm sure they'll be others along soon who can :)

Thanks Oreo, not sure if Mac will take to it, also afraid that will get dragged off into the bushes when he decides to chase something, can see quite a few accidents for me before I get the hang of it :lol:

One of the things with running with your dog is that your dog is far less likely to go dashing off into the bushes purely because they have so much of their attention on running with you and where their feet are going that they have less brain power free to react to whatever they see. This works to the extent that fast parallel walking or running can be used to introduce dogs who are likely to have issues with each other because they are unable to focus their attention so much on each other while they're running and trying to follow you at the same time.

I've never been able to go running with Molly because of my disabilities, but she would love it. I've got several friends who don't specifically do Canix, but who do run cross country with their dogs and their dogs, from Jack Russell to Ridgeback sized, just love it.

There is one big safety rule. Please don't try running with your dog with a normal collar and lead. Your arm moves around when you're running so if you were holding the lead in your hand you'd be pulling the dog all over the place and could hurt them and you really want them to learn how to not be in your way or leg you up. For that you really need a body belt lead (cross body or round the waist), an elasticated lead and a harness for your dog. The safest place for your dog to be when you're running is either at your side or at least a metre in front of you, so this positioning takes training. Start with short runs aiming to end while your dog is still full of beans as the mistakes tend to happen when either you or the dog are tired.

Running and walking have different rules for dogs because clearly you wouldn't want your dog to be pulling full time when you're walking, so the best way to show them when to pull is the clothes you're putting on you and the harness you're putting on them. They will get used to it really quickly and every dog that is capable loves going for a quick run.

I hope you and your beastie have a lovely time exploring the world and running as a pack :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back