The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Car travel

oakie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
our 16wk jack spaniel cross gets very travel sick. hes harnessed in the back of the car. after quarter of a mile or less poo & sick !!!!! have been taking him in the car daily just down the road trying to get him used to traveling also advised to use newspaper to no avail. we have had him 3 weeks now and hoping to take him camping in the better weather ha ha. need advice urgently. TRAPPED. even no walkies only just had last jab

Oreo doesn't get sick but she cannot balance very well.

She hates to lie down in the car as well.

do you think that it is motion sickness causing it, or nerves dya think?

You seem to be going about it in the right way, but if he pukes after only quarter of a mile, perhaps even smaller steps first, like just a few metres, or popping him in the car with the engine running, to get used to the vibrations. if he's pooing and puking, maybe wait until a few hours after eating, and make sure he has also done a poo first too. There are travel sickness tablets, but i've no idea if they work or not

Gosh i am so lucky dude is good in the car, he used to have no strength at all and lay down, but now he leans into the corners, bless him. Maybe the fact your boy is soo young still, he may not have the strength to keep upright or even stable, he may get better with practise, and age. You can get waterproof hammocky things to cover the backseat if that helps. Poor you, good luck!

glad to say after much cleaning the car and teaching Oakie that the car is ok. He knows that a journey in the car means he gets to go nice places to walk and play. We have overcome his travel sickness many thanks for your suggestions

One of mine was afraid, just nerves, not car sick . I was advised to do the following and it worked for her .

I would just take her to the car, sit with her and not start the car, just for a few minutes and gave her a treat . I then progressed to starting the car with her in it but not moving , then gave her a treat , then to moving the car, just a few yards . Did all this over a period of a week or so and gradually she overcame the fear, good luck, its horrible I know !

Have a look at this herbal medicine. I purchase a lot of products off this site, it's fab.

Dorwest Scullcap & Valerian Tablets for Dogs and Cats
http://www.dorwest.com/Products/SV/scullcap-and-valerian-tablets-for-dogs-and-cats

"A licensed herbal medicine for the symptomatic relief of anxiety, nervousness, excitability and travel sickness, and an adjunct in the treatment of epilepsy in dogs and cats.

Invaluable to calm and relax dogs and cats suffering from excitability, apprehension, hyperactivity and phobias, such as those from fireworks, thunderstorms or gunfire.
Does not cause drowsiness or impair normal behaviour or performance making it ideal for those needing to be settled for travelling, showing, training or obedience work. Given prior to a journey will calm nervous travellers and is useful where new surroundings or situations might cause apprehension or anxiety. In cats, this tablet is also effective to control territorial spraying as the tranquilising effect reduces the impulse to mark territory. Under veterinary supervision this tablet is used in the control of epilepsy, often in conjunction with conventional anti-convulsant drugs."

If he's inclined to be sick in a car, I'm afraid harnessed in the back seat is just about the worst place, as that's where he will get moved from side to side a lot.

My Rosie was car sick as a pup, and I decided to drop the back seats and travel her in a small cage. After a couple of journeys, the sickness stopped.

Also, the well on the floor in front of the passenger seat is a good place for a car sick dog.

Ginger can also help, given half an hour before the journey.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back