The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Challenging breeds?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Terriers are much more independent and mine had selective deafness when it suited them.
:D:D:D I'm afraid most of them tend to be that way....:rolleyes: Proper hands full lot of dogs they are indeed....:D:D

Last edited:
I really don't think there are 'stronger' breeds/harder or not to train than others, it comes down to owner, how they train, what they like, how the dog/owner interacts.
We all have our preferences of 'type' of personality, breed we like/prefer and it is more about matching the right breed or dog to owner/owner to dog

I thought instead of making a new thread I'd ask here as its kinda still about "stronger breeds" ect.

Ok so dont know if you remember the work friend who was getting a Dobermann well after meeting them and talking to Dobe people she realized that she was not right for the Dobe but with help from the Dobe community she has found the Rottweiler is more suited.

Anyway shrs been getting mixed advice and to help her out i knew asking here would be a good idea.

She has joined a Rottie facebook group and a Rottie forum.

On the rottie forum she was told Rotties are not for beginners as Goldens or labs are more forgiving of midtakes and that rotties are dominate dogs ect.

On the facebook group however she was told that thats nonsense and as long as she is willijg to put the time and effort into her rottie then she will be fine and they told her theres no such thing as dominance thats been proven to not exsit with dogs and humans. And a few told her no dog or breed is easy and that even Labs can be hard or be a challenge it all comes down to the owner rather than breed.

She plans on spending a few years around rotties to get to know them and plans on working with a good behaviorist from the beginning to help her.

She told me i dont want to start with a Golden or a lab i know what i want know and that a Rottie and she said she doesnt think its a good idea to get a dog i dont want just for experience.

I told her a lab wont prepare you for a rottie only a rottie will.

I personally dont see why she cant start with a rottie she commited like i am and is down to earth and level headed and is a responsible person who is willing to learn and put the time in.

I just dont get why people still say get a lab there so easy for a first timer.

You all know i love labs but i would not reccomended them to everyone and i certainly would not call them easy either , ive know people with labs who were first timers and they did eveything wrong and ended up with a food guarder and even knew one person whose lab attacked there child due to the owners failures.

And ive know labs who came from bad breeders were the owner could not train there aggression or anxiety out of them as it was passed on by one of the labs parent's.

What im saying is labs and rotties are both dogs at the end of the day and what a rottie is capable of so is a lab. Yes a rottie could do more damage but labs can still be hard or dangerous ect.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back