The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Changes For The Better???

mollyxx

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
As you all know I am trying to make changes to hopefully improve things for our clubs up and down the country.

The recently introduced ‘Club dog of the Year’ competition will come to fruition in 2012 when we see the run off’s at the champs!

Results are starting to trickle in and I’ve no doubt that they will come thick and fast as we near the end of the year!

Also indicated in the October W News; in order for clubs to secure Top Ten status, they need to offer at least 2 runs for competitors. This could be done via, ABC racing or Yd/lb with consolation afterwards….

Some comments (via a third party) have been made that they don’t think consolation would work, as they wouldn’t have time to fit it in…..commonsense has to prevail, if for some reason the unpredictable weather or mechanical issues make the day’s racing pan out too long then consolation racing couldn’t be held if time doesn’t allow, that would be understandable!

If you hold an open, is it your aim to attract as many dogs as possible?

I would hope so…..and as most racers don’t want to hit a ‘flying machine’ in their boring weight groups.

Running ABC gives you a chance to miss it, and give an extra run.

It could be staged l/w & h/w with dogs & bitches separate.

With the 4 winners coming together for an A final, scoring; 7pts, r-up 5pts, 3rd 4pts & 4th 3pts. Hts; 1pt.

The others forming; B, C & D finals!

I have watched with great interest at the very high turnout at Shirebrook, Notts/Derby & Old Hall who use this method on a regular basis, which offers something for everyone, this format has worked superbly!

After a lot of thought therefore in 2012, the 8 BWRA regions will forfeit one of the Top Ten opens, leaving one from now on. The regions don’t need the revenue as much as the clubs, each club now being entitled to 2 Top Ten Opens.

As it stands; Fordingbridge already have 2 Top Ten dates (which includes 1 Charity), as do Ayrshire, Old Hall, Notts/Derby. Horden stage the UK scratch champs. Kirkcaldy; The Scottish Derby and Scottish Champs, with the same for Thurrock who stage the South Coast Scr bend and straight events, I’m not sure these clubs would all want any more!!!

Clubs could run one open on weight group principal, with the other as ‘ABC’ for a trial year to see if one format attracts more dogs than the other.

Clubs that may benefit from this are; Worcester, Maltby, Stockton, A & T, Wallsend & Newton Aycliffe etc!!

The regions who lose one of their opens, could maybe offer their lost ‘Trophy’ to be run at a club, instead of making it an additional open (for example, the E Mids region’s clubs are ‘Notts/Derby, Old Hall & Shirebrook’, the latter stages only one open, so maybe one of the regional trophies ie; Rhinesize or Another Maid….could be taken on by that club.

Instead of just talking among yourselves, I need to know what you all want?

The sport is stagnant as it stands, racers seem sick of the same old weight groups!

I have tried in the past on here, to bring out from you a reaction to improve racing.

I asked if any of you (clubs & both organisations) are willing to cut down anything, NO REAL RESPONSE!

I asked for ideas, the topic attracted some response thankfully, but it went around in a circle with no real answer either!

What is it you require from racing? Do you want it left as it is, without change?

Please give some response, either email/pm or telephone….just do something, thank you!!

Nice to read some body trying to put positive steps in to improve whippet racing well done :thumbsup:

Makes total sense to me Chris.Giving racers the chance of 2 runs,when they travel to opens,is bound to encourage more to attend :thumbsup:

I agree Chris some thing has to be done, but as a region how do you decide which open should loose its top ten status if one of the clubs don't take it on. As you know we do have two at present and both are very well attended. As a region none of us take any expenses, by the time things like jackets, pay clubs for hire of there tracks we make very little profit. :))

I agree Chris some thing has to be done, but as a region how do you decide which open should loose its top ten status if one of the clubs don't take it on. As you know we do have two at present and both are very well attended. As a region none of us take any expenses, by the time things like jackets, pay clubs for hire of there tracks we make very little profit. :))

It will be difficult to decide Shelly, but the regional AGM's are coming up......

What does matter most at the end of the day?

Help to keep the clubs alive with much-needed revenue or to give the regions 2 Top Ten opens?

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have to change......but something has to be done, or am I wrong?

I don't have all the answers.....but I am trying to come up with something that may help in the long run!!!!!

as u know chris as ive already e mailed u. IMO time trial racing alongside the top ten will attract more racers. EVEN IN ABCDE racing i dont think i would race digga whizz as i dont care about having 2 runs wot wud attract me is the fact that she cud actually win without getting slaughtered. in a time trial race it goes off times so all dogs shud stand a chance. we introduced time trial racing alongside our opens this year which was my idea. the 1st one attracted 4 or 5 dogs, then the next time 7 dogs then the last one 8 dogs. this is 8 dogs that wudnt have ran regardless of abcde racing. so IMO a time trial alongside your open whether it be abcde or the usual yds per 1lb WOULD ATTRACT MORE DOGS as club dogs wud stand a chance of winning a tt. :thumbsup: so have a tt race u have nothing to lose only more dogs there to race.

can i also point out that shirebrook, old hall etc who stage the abcde racing always attract more dogs as they are more central to racers. again JMO. good on u for trying to come up with ideas chris. :thumbsup:

As far as statistics for the last 2 bend meetings goes. Over 2 thirds of all dogs knocked out in the first round went on to run in the consolation.

One weekend getting 2 runs for £5 and the next getting 2 runs for £4. I'm lucky enough to live within 20 minutes of Highgate so runs for my money probably isn't as high a factor as those travelling a long way but I'd like to think that if I made the trip to another track further south or north, that my dogs would get another chance of having a race (or redeeming themselves for a poor performance in the first run in some cases). I've travelled to Westhoughton at the start of the season purely because the club was giving 2 runs for £5 and there was chance to match my dogs against others.

If an open were put on ABC or with Cons racing then I'd personally be more likely to attend, particularly if like-minded people were willing to cons race their dogs. Prizes could be optional, heats only, Rosettes to cons winner, Cons supremes, trophies etc like in the main comp. Perhaps even a Whippet News Top Ten Consolation competition awarding points to B,C,D,E finals, cons heats, cons finals etc.

I 'm all in favour at varying the formats so people don't come up against the same dogs week in week out.

For what its worth these are the things we weigh up when going to an open.

1) We both have serious health issues so we have to be fit enough

2) Have we got the time off work

3) Where is it, we havent got a top ten contender so it will be the open that we can get to the easiest

I know we should be supporting all the regions but deisel is expensive

4) If its a weekend event we're more likely to travel because its much more enjoyable and better value

I think its a great idea to ensure 2 runs but I think varying the formats is important too. Time and again I've heard people say that they are not goin to travel for 3 hours or more when they are already pretty sure who they will be racing and the outcome.

There is only so much that you can do though because while moneys tight people are going to think twice before travelling and stay local where they can.

i think u have hit the nail on the head marielou people will stay local due to money etc regardless of how many runs they can get imo

As you all know I am trying to make changes to hopefully improve things for our clubs up and down the country. The recently introduced ‘Club dog of the Year’ competition will come to fruition in 2012 when we see the run off’s at the champs!

Results are starting to trickle in and I’ve no doubt that they will come thick and fast as we near the end of the year!

Also indicated in the October W News; in order for clubs to secure Top Ten status, they need to offer at least 2 runs for competitors. This could be done via, ABC racing or Yd/lb with consolation afterwards….

Some comments (via a third party) have been made that they don’t think consolation would work, as they wouldn’t have time to fit it in…..commonsense has to prevail, if for some reason the unpredictable weather or mechanical issues make the day’s racing pan out too long then consolation racing couldn’t be held if time doesn’t allow, that would be understandable!

If you hold an open, is it your aim to attract as many dogs as possible?

I would hope so…..and as most racers don’t want to hit a ‘flying machine’ in their boring weight groups.

Running ABC gives you a chance to miss it, and give an extra run.

It could be staged l/w & h/w with dogs & bitches separate.

With the 4 winners coming together for an A final, scoring; 7pts, r-up 5pts, 3rd 4pts & 4th 3pts. Hts; 1pt.

The others forming; B, C & D finals!

I have watched with great interest at the very high turnout at Shirebrook, Notts/Derby & Old Hall who use this method on a regular basis, which offers something for everyone, this format has worked superbly!

After a lot of thought therefore in 2012, the 8 BWRA regions will forfeit one of the Top Ten opens, leaving one from now on. The regions don’t need the revenue as much as the clubs, each club now being entitled to 2 Top Ten Opens.

As it stands; Fordingbridge already have 2 Top Ten dates (which includes 1 Charity), as do Ayrshire, Old Hall, Notts/Derby. Horden stage the UK scratch champs. Kirkcaldy; The Scottish Derby and Scottish Champs, with the same for Thurrock who stage the South Coast Scr bend and straight events, I’m not sure these clubs would all want any more!!!

Clubs could run one open on weight group principal, with the other as ‘ABC’ for a trial year to see if one format attracts more dogs than the other.

Clubs that may benefit from this are; Worcester, Maltby, Stockton, A & T, Wallsend & Newton Aycliffe etc!!

The regions who lose one of their opens, could maybe offer their lost ‘Trophy’ to be run at a club, instead of making it an additional open (for example, the E Mids region’s clubs are ‘Notts/Derby, Old Hall & Shirebrook’, the latter stages only one open, so maybe one of the regional trophies ie; Rhinesize or Another Maid….could be taken on by that club.

Instead of just talking among yourselves, I need to know what you all want?

The sport is stagnant as it stands, racers seem sick of the same old weight groups!

I have tried in the past on here, to bring out from you a reaction to improve racing.

I asked if any of you (clubs & both organisations) are willing to cut down anything, NO REAL RESPONSE!

I asked for ideas, the topic attracted some response thankfully, but it went around in a circle with no real answer either!

What is it you require from racing? Do you want it left as it is, without change?

Please give some response, either email/pm or telephone….just do something, thank you!!

ive got a bit lost here chris so please tell me if im right or wrong? ok the bwra north east region has 2 events per year this is the harry seymour and the brandy queen the latter always seems to attract more but i have no idea why? then wallsend club hosts one open the rising sun/barking dog is our own open. the jodami is westerhopes open held @ wallsend ( 4 various reasons) so is what your saying now is the BWRA has to get rid of either the harry seymour or brandy queen but the club the rising sun can host another club open as cud westerhope? meaning the same amount or in this case more opens but 4 of them club opens? and only 1 a bwra open?

as u know chris as ive already e mailed u. IMO time trial racing alongside the top ten will attract more racers. EVEN IN ABCDE racing i dont think i would race digga whizz as i dont care about having 2 runs wot wud attract me is the fact that she cud actually win without getting slaughtered. in a time trial race it goes off times so all dogs shud stand a chance. we introduced time trial racing alongside our opens this year which was my idea. the 1st one attracted 4 or 5 dogs, then the next time 7 dogs then the last one 8 dogs. this is 8 dogs that wudnt have ran regardless of abcde racing. so IMO a time trial alongside your open whether it be abcde or the usual yds per 1lb WOULD ATTRACT MORE DOGS as club dogs wud stand a chance of winning a tt. :thumbsup: so have a tt race u have nothing to lose only more dogs there to race.

carol you would need an honest handicapper for a time trial ;) , a.b.c. racing would be the answer especially on the bends.

dont think the format needs changing just too many opens dont agree a club can just stick any addy open on whenever they want especialy if its in the same region as another open esp tt agree things could be tried out but too much change dosnt mean its for the better jmo also most folk who have a good dog will travel especialy if there chasing top ten points

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard when you're trying to please everyone, making an open appealing to open class dogs (because lets face it we all want the best dogs at our opens) whilst still trying to attract club dogs.

I know a lot of people like ABCD racing because you're getting two runs for your money but it's still not a favourable format for your average club dog. Many of the ABCD opens i've seen have been run up to 24lb/ up to 32lb, if you had an average 24lb dog would you seriously put diesel in your van and travel a couple of hours to give an open class dog like Prada 5yd, Skoshi Tiger 4yd, Zeus 4, One's Genevieve 8yd? Yeh your dog might get to run with others of equal ability in the D Final, but you've still got to see the poor thing bust a gut trying to give chase in its heat. Likewise, with a 32lb club dog would you give Swift Boy 7yd, Eastender 6yd, Insane Jane 7yd?

I've seen dogs the top end of their weight class that've been schooled at clubs running ABCD racing that have ended up being spoilt and turning their head because they just get sick of chasing week in week out without any confidence boosting wins under their belt.

This is all only my opinion and the reason i will not be pushing for ABCD racing in our region. People are hellbent on running off weight for some reason and in that case i'd prefer to see a maiden section run alongside top ten opens although we all know the only fair way to include club dogs in handicap racing is for it to be run off time.

We have dogs that we just won't run at opens, it's not their fault they're not fast enough and i don't feel it fair on them getting beat by a distance all the time, it's not nice to watch and it messes with their head after a while, so we just stick to club racing them where they'll have their wins as much as the next dog. There is big support at our club for time racing as other people are in the same boat with their dogs.

There is a lot more varying formats coming about these days which is a welcome change and i admire any club putting opens on with a format that'll get every dog running off in a final, everyone who's won should feel that they're running off in the final with a chance of winning.

I personally don't think the lack of dogs racing per open is down to how many runs you get or if there's additional racing run along side any open ..its simply down to less people and dogs racing as there was say 5/10/ect years ago ..after talking to a few greyhound people the past few weeks they have seen a big drop in greyhounds racing on the flapping tracks too

Advertising your local clubs and open to help attract more people into the sport would be a good start

i certainly dont think add opens affect top ten opens unless in the same region.i know we have put add opens on when nothing on in our region but that as our members wanted as they wasnt traveling any way.what you all must remember is not all will travel but are these members going to be put off when theres less opens local are they going to think its worth starting up if dont get a race without traveling miles i think not.the people who travel will if they got there dogs right or money allows but certainly think youre not get many going to spend 50 pounds to run in a time trail jimo :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i certainly think new members is whats needed and i certainly think we getting local new racers with pups at our club which is only looking good for the sport so dont think we doing much wrong as we are :thumbsup: so all i know theres no quick fix unless you going to pay people fuel bills lol.and imo an add open is not much different to club racing but just they dont have to be members

It's hard when you're trying to please everyone, making an open appealing to open class dogs (because lets face it we all want the best dogs at our opens) whilst still trying to attract club dogs.
I know a lot of people like ABCD racing because you're getting two runs for your money but it's still not a favourable format for your average club dog. Many of the ABCD opens i've seen have been run up to 24lb/ up to 32lb, if you had an average 24lb dog would you seriously put diesel in your van and travel a couple of hours to give an open class dog like Prada 5yd, Skoshi Tiger 4yd, Zeus 4, One's Genevieve 8yd? Yeh your dog might get to run with others of equal ability in the D Final, but you've still got to see the poor thing bust a gut trying to give chase in its heat. Likewise, with a 32lb club dog would you give Swift Boy 7yd, Eastender 6yd, Insane Jane 7yd?

I've seen dogs the top end of their weight class that've been schooled at clubs running ABCD racing that have ended up being spoilt and turning their head because they just get sick of chasing week in week out without any confidence boosting wins under their belt.

This is all only my opinion and the reason i will not be pushing for ABCD racing in our region. People are hellbent on running off weight for some reason and in that case i'd prefer to see a maiden section run alongside top ten opens although we all know the only fair way to include club dogs in handicap racing is for it to be run off time.

We have dogs that we just won't run at opens, it's not their fault they're not fast enough and i don't feel it fair on them getting beat by a distance all the time, it's not nice to watch and it messes with their head after a while, so we just stick to club racing them where they'll have their wins as much as the next dog. There is big support at our club for time racing as other people are in the same boat with their dogs.

There is a lot more varying formats coming about these days which is a welcome change and i admire any club putting opens on with a format that'll get every dog running off in a final, everyone who's won should feel that they're running off in the final with a chance of winning.

excellent post vicky i agree with everything your saying i cudnt have put it better myself :thumbsup:

i certainly dont think add opens affect top ten opens unless in the same region.i know we have put add opens on when nothing on in our region but that as our members wanted as they wasnt traveling any way.what you all must remember is not all will travel but are these members going to be put off when theres less opens local are they going to think its worth starting up if dont get a race without traveling miles i think not.the people who travel will if they got there dogs right or money allows but certainly think youre not get many going to spend 50 pounds to run in a time trail jimo :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i certainly think new members is whats needed and i certainly think we getting local new racers with pups at our club which is only looking good for the sport so dont think we doing much wrong as we are :thumbsup: so all i know theres no quick fix unless you going to pay people fuel bills lol.and imo an add open is not much different to club racing but just they dont have to be members
Agree Chris i don't think many people are bothered about chasing point atm esp with the cost it involves and what you win at the end ..so if you have a club that has a healthy amount of dogs racing why not cater for these members ..I did think there where to many clubs holding additional opens when others had top ten points opens on so that was why there was a lack in entries ..but since then i have realized theres many reasons for people not travelling

Maybe take all top ten statues away from opens and only have classic events scoring top ten with consolation scoring as well ie English derby, Scottish derby, championships ect these events always have good turn outs you rarely get solos ..that way all opens already running could still be ran for , i am sure they will still get the same amount of support they have been getting the past few years

Agree Chris i don't think many people are bothered about chasing point atm esp with the cost it involves and what you win at the end ..so if you have a club that has a healthy amount of dogs racing why not cater for these members ..I did think there where to many clubs holding additional opens when others had top ten points opens on so that was why there was a lack in entries ..but since then i have realized theres many reasons for people not travelling

Maybe take all top ten statues away from opens and only have classic events scoring top ten with consolation scoring as well ie English derby, Scottish derby, championships ect these events always have good turn outs you rarely get solos ..that way all opens already running could still be ran for , i am sure they will still get the same amount of support they have been getting the past few years

think thats better put than mine :blink: but glad you understood correctly what i ment lol.i think if you have good clubs the open will pick up again in time :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back