The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

ChatGPT

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I don't know what ChatGPT is ! :rolleyes:

It's a chatbot - artificial intelligence that you can talk to or ask questions of, or ask it to do tasks such as draft a letter. It does make mistakes but I find it very impressive. You can find it here and sign up for free.

It's an artificial intelligence programme that writes text, so for example students have been using it to write their essays. Sometimes you see posts on forums that look like they have been copy pasted from elsewhere. Sometimes that is what has happened but more and more, they are AI generated.

@arealhuman can no doubt explain it better.

I asked ChatGPT "what is ChatGPT?". Here's what it said:
ChatGPT is an AI-powered language model developed by OpenAI. It belongs to the GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) family of models, specifically based on the GPT-3.5 architecture. Language models like ChatGPT are designed to understand and generate human-like text based on the input they receive.

ChatGPT has been trained on a vast amount of text data from the internet, allowing it to generate coherent responses to a wide range of queries and prompts. It can provide information, engage in conversations, answer questions, offer suggestions, and assist with various tasks, among other capabilities.

As an AI language model, ChatGPT doesn't possess personal experiences, opinions, or consciousness. It relies on patterns and knowledge learned from its training data to generate responses. However, it's important to note that while ChatGPT strives to provide accurate and helpful information, it may occasionally generate incorrect or misleading responses. Therefore, it's always a good idea to verify information from reliable sources.

So then I asked it to explain that to me like I'm 5 years old:
Imagine ChatGPT is like a really smart computer that can understand and talk with people using words. It has read lots and lots of books, stories, and websites to learn about many different things. When you ask ChatGPT a question or say something to it, it thinks really hard and tries to give you the best answer it can based on what it has learned.

But, just like when we play the "telephone game" and sometimes the message gets a little mixed up, ChatGPT can sometimes make mistakes too. So it's always a good idea to check with a grown-up or look up information from reliable sources to make sure the answer is correct.

ChatGPT doesn't have feelings or thoughts like we do. It's like a very helpful tool that can give us information, tell stories, and help us with different things we want to know.
So there you have it!

Thanks for that @arealhuman , there are some helpful analogies in that piece.

We are seeing pieces of text popping up on some of the forums, with text that is relevant to the thread but too impersonal to be genuine - sort of like ”always feed your golden retriever a healthy diet and make sure she gets plenty of exercise. Golden retrievers are a popular breed, their friendly demeanour makes them excellent family pets”.

I just wrote that, by the way (and ZeroGPT correctly identified that I too am a real human :)). But what I'm not sure of, is why? What's in it for the person or bot that posts it, unless it is to later slip in a link to a sales site or something more sinister?

Thanks for that @arealhuman , there are some helpful analogies in that piece.

We are seeing pieces of text popping up on some of the forums, with text that is relevant to the thread but too impersonal to be genuine - sort of like ”always feed your golden retriever a healthy diet and make sure she gets plenty of exercise. Golden retrievers are a popular breed, their friendly demeanour makes them excellent family pets”.

I just wrote that, by the way. But what I'm not sure of, is why? What's in it for the person or bot that posts it, unless it is to later slip in a link to a sales site or something more sinister?
Now there’s a topic, JoanneF.

Nice article on the BBC about AI and what it is if anyone's interested:

Nice article on the BBC about AI and what it is if anyone's interested:

[URL='https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-74697280-e684-43c5-a782-29e9d11fecf3']What is AI? A simple guide to help you understand artificial intelligence - BBC News
I wish I was younger as I'd really like to get involved in this stuff!
Just wish I were (imp. subj) younger.
What is AI? A simple guide to help you understand artificial intelligence - BBC News[/URL]

I wish I was younger as I'd really like to get involved in this stuff!

But what I'm not sure of, is why? What's in it for the person or bot that posts it, unless it is to later slip in a link to a sales site or something more sinister?

I think it's just that, as well as probing how easy/hard it is to get on the forum. Be thankful, I moderate on another forum (not dog related) and some of the stuff that gets posted is absolutely disgusting. There are some ill people ou there :(

I think it's just that, as well as probing how easy/hard it is to get on the forum. Be thankful, I moderate on another forum (not dog related) and some of the stuff that gets posted is absolutely disgusting. There are some ill people ou there :(
Too right, arealhuman. There are some sick people out there. Yesterday I was told about individuals who commissioned people to film macaques being tortured. Whether it’s true or not it just makes me want to retreat into my safe haven with my likeminded contemporaries and disengage from society. Am I sounding like a grandparent? I never knew my grandparents.

Am I sounding like a grandparent? I never knew my grandparents.

No, you sound like me... oh hold on, I am a grandparent:D I have fantasies of buying, and moving to Brownsea Island, with Mr N and maybe a few like-minded souls. And a lurcher, who can have the run of the island and feed himself (but preferably not on the red squirrels). Trouble is, I doubt Ocado would deliver there...

Yesterday I was told about individuals who commissioned people to film macaques being tortured. Whether it’s true or not it just makes me want to retreat into my safe haven with my likeminded contemporaries and disengage from society.

Sadly, it's true. There was a big expose on the BBC a week or so ago. Sick *******, I hope they get what's coming to them, which should at least mean being ostracised and locked up for a very long time.

No, you sound like me... oh hold on, I am a grandparent:D I have fantasies of buying, and moving to Brownsea Island, with Mr N and maybe a few like-minded souls. And a lurcher, who can have the run of the island and feed himself (but preferably not on the red squirrels). Trouble is, I doubt Ocado would deliver there...
What a super idea and yes, I’d join you together with assorted sighthounds at the drop of a hat. More than happy to do the cooking and provide dry humour and another drumkit.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back