The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Chiweenie puppy

Gypsy86

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

I’m Lea. At Xmas, my partner bought a chiweenie pup as a surprise, now I love animals but I really wasn’t ready for a puppy. I am finding it all very overwhelming and I am having headaches each day.
Missy is 15 weeks and I have been working hard to train but she doesn’t really listen to me, only my partner. We have two cats as well and they can be quite demanding. Missy is toilet trained and good with that. She constantly pulls on her lead though so I’m trying to stand still each time she does it. Her nipping is what you would expect from a pup and we have loads of chew toys which we give her and always say ‘good girl’. However after meals, toilet and play time (walks too), she will go in crate for an hour or two and barks at what’s going on in the garden. Very reluctant to rest. We give her treats and toys in there but she just doesn’t rest well until night time. I am struggling with the constant busyness and more so as I didn’t choose to have a pup right now. She is lovely and I always keep calm and positive but away from her I’m crying my eyes out as she is very stubborn and hard to train (besides the toileting).

I also feel very boxed in even though I go out regularly with her. I work from home so I find it hard to work. I don’t feel I’m doing good enough on the training and don’t really know if I’m doing ok.

Any advice? Tia x

I don't think dogs are stubborn in the way we think of it as humans. In my view, there are three main reasons why a dog doesn't do as you ask.

First, she doesn't understand. That's where training comes in, you need to teach her what you want, and reward when she gets it right so she knows she has done the right thing.

Second, the motivation or reward of doing what she is already doing is higher than the motivation or reward of doing what you are asking. This is why some dogs won't, for example, recall when they are playing or chasing squirrels. So make sure what you offer is of far higher value - or, if you can't beat something like a squirrel chase, don't allow the opportunity for it to happen (i.e. don't set her up to fail). Use a leash or a long line to keep control.

Third, you are working against a deeply rooted breed trait that the dog has been selectively bred for over centuries. There is a reason why we don't use terriers to herd sheep - it can be done but it is a lot harder.

If it is the pulling on lead that's the main problem, your approach is one that is successfully used by a lot of people. You might also find this helpful -

If you want to teach her to settle, try this method -

Hi Joanne,

I don’t think she is stubborn like humans but she certainly knows what she wants lol.

we have been doing the treat thing and talking clear to her, repetition. So each time she toilets outside she comes in and gets a treat.

yes this is really helpful, thank you. Will take this on board

I think it is just all quite difficult at the moment. But I will definitely check these out as I’m constantly trying to learn to aid the best life for her. Thank you

I'm sorry to criticise your partner, but it is a REALLY bad idea to give a puppy as a surprise gift, and Xmas is pretty much the worst time to do it. I'm not sure a good breeder would even sell someone a puppy at that time of year. So you would have been quite justified in insisting he took Missy straight back to the breeder/seller.

Depending on how you feel, I also wouldn't rule out returning/rehoming Missy as you really didn't sign up to this. Puppies and adult dogs are a LOT of work and committment, and will change your life - e.g. where you can go on holiday, how long you can go out for each day, and so on. So the first question is - are you up for this? It could be a 15-year committment, and if you do decide to return/rehome, it's best to do it while Missy is still very young.

Assuming you want to keep her...

At 15 weeks old, she is still a baby, and you can't expect too much from her yet. Even people experienced with dogs, who actually chose the dog, still find the early weeks overwhelming, and can get the 'puppy blues'. So it's OK to feel that you're struggling right now. Have you taken her to training classes? This would be a good idea - classes are more about training the owner how to train the dog rather than actually training the dog. You do want one that is 100% positive, though - if any form of 'correction' is allowed, find a different class. And also avoid classes that allow free-for-all puppy play - when pups are mismatched, some become bullies and the others will become wary of other dogs.

Pulling on the lead is natural at this age. Stopping whenever there was tension on the lead and waiting for the tension to release worked for my dog - eventually. One thing I did was have him on a collar and lead when I wanted to do 'proper training' (which meant I might only get a few yards in 10 minutes!), and have him on a harness & lead when I wanted him to have more freedom and lead me where he wanted. This vid could be helpful (in general, anything by Kikopup is worth watching):
(I've just seen JoanneF has linked to a couple more by Kikopup!)

It's normal for pups to be really active in the evenings (called the zoomies, with good reason), just when you want some quiet time, and to find it difficult to settle down. To a large extent, this is something you will have to tolerate until Missy matures a little, though the 'Calm Settle' JoanneF mentioned will help.
h
Something that can really help pups learn to stop, think and pay attention to you is impulse control - when they're young, even if they do understand what you want, they don't have the self-control to do it. There's a vid called 'It's Yer Choice' on Youtube that I found really helpful.

Hi Judy,

Yes I am struggling as maybe a year down the line I would be ready. And I get what you’re saying as I’ve said the same thing to my partner. However I am someone that would never rehome as it isn’t fair and I love animals too much! So we’re keeping her.

I really have found this very useful. The issue is the horrible neighbour complaining next door (she owns, we rent). Missy doesn’t even bark constantly at all. I feel I’m up against it on top of everything else. But you’re right, she is only 15 weeks! She has really done well with toileting. I am trying to play with her lots too so she listens a little more to me.

I will check that out thank you so much.

So each time she toilets outside she comes in and gets a treat.

That means she is getting a treat for coming in, not for toileting. Timing is key. I'm glad the toilet training is coming along well but it would have been even faster if you rewarded as soon as she had toileted, so it was clear it was for toileting and not for anything else. I don't say that to be critical, but as a clue to why she might not be responding to some of your other training - the reward has to be immediate.

Yeh I get it. I can take constructive criticism and I’ve never owned a puppy before so lots to learn! we do the treats straight after toileting. Like 20 seconds after.

She even stays still now when we do it and she didn’t before. I really am trying my best so I appreciate anything that would help.

Does she only bark when she can see into the garden, or at other times as well? How long per day would you say she barks for?

If it's just when she can see things in the garden, you might be able to block her view. Distraction could also help - maybe a bone she can chew, or a cardboard box to shred (it's messy, but mess is better than complaints from neighbours!). Is she OK when left, or does she bark then? If you're not sure, it would be worth recording her when you go out. It would also be worth keeping a record of how long she barks, because you often hear of neighbours reporting to the authorities that the dog barks all day long when in reality there's only a short period of barking a day - if you keep a record, they will be more likely to believe your side of the story, particularly when you can tell them what measures you've been taking to prevent it.

Also, have a look at the links in this post: Useful Links & Recommended Reading You might find something useful there.

It's great that you are so committed to her - we would love to see some puppy photos if you have any!

She literally only barks when she hears other dogs (we’re right next to a park); cats and birds in garden and playing with cats lol. We have a blanket to put over and yes the cardboard boxes are in there haha. Also about 6 toys. She actually doesn’t bark much at all in the scheme of things - I would say a few barks a few times a day.

Yes that’s great advice! We actually said we’re going to record as she is barely barking. The lady next door is very difficult. Also it’s their way of communicating and if it isn’t constant then she should just hush up really! But people just make such dramas out of nothing.

yes I am an animal activist in a sense - we have a garden full of animals we’re looking after like hedgehogs. I feel very overwhelmed but I would never give up on her. I’ll add a couple photos here for you :)

3A33E7D2-4582-4F7E-ADEF-530E873343D8.jpeg
A83D1EF3-E3A3-4C29-960F-B4024DE20895.jpeg
She literally only barks when she hears other dogs (we’re right next to a park); cats and birds in garden and playing with cats lol. We have a blanket to put over and yes the cardboard boxes are in there haha. Also about 6 toys. She actually doesn’t bark much at all in the scheme of things - I would say a few barks a few times a day.

Yes that’s great advice! We actually said we’re going to record as she is barely barking. The lady next door is very difficult. Also it’s their way of communicating and if it isn’t constant then she should just hush up really! But people just make such dramas out of nothing.

yes I am an animal activist in a sense - we have a garden full of animals we’re looking after like hedgehogs. I feel very overwhelmed but I would never give up on her. I’ll add a couple photos here for you :)
3A33E7D2-4582-4F7E-ADEF-530E873343D8.jpeg
A83D1EF3-E3A3-4C29-960F-B4024DE20895.jpeg

Oh she is adorable!:emoji_blue_heart:

I don't suppose a charm offensive with chocolates, flowers and/or wine would help with the awkward neighbour? Though she might just expect the same every week...

Please forgive my ignorance but, what cross is a "Chiweenie" :eek:

Oh she is adorable!:emoji_blue_heart:

I don't suppose a charm offensive with chocolates, flowers and/or wine would help with the awkward neighbour? Though she might just expect the same every week...

Thank you! She is ♥️

haha yeh we’ve already sucked up a bit when she left a note through our door and extremely rude. It took everything I had to be fake nice lol.

yes I think she would expect it too much lol! Let’s hope luck is on our side so we can have the chocolates instead ;)

When you read up on this cross they are quite difficult dogs ...;)
Must admit to not hearing of this cross before...she is very sweet :)

I prefer to think of dogs not as stubborn, difficult, cussed, whatever, but independent, having a mind of their own, standing up for their rights, making their own decisions when they think you've got it wrong... (I'm sure my deerhound x lurcher thought I was stupid when I walked us away from where we both knew there was a deer:D). In a way this is good, as it makes your training focus on getting them on your side, working as a team, and so that they think that what you ask them to do is (usually) a really good idea. Never expect blind obedience, as convenient as it would be...

When you read up on this cross they are quite difficult dogs ...;)
Must admit to not hearing of this cross before...she is very sweet :)
Hi,

Yeh I think they can be! Also in the sense they can be the most difficult to train, but obviously that ranges and I get there are lots of factors involved. It definitely isn’t easy at all and I’m so glad I found this forum

thank you :) She is very affectionate and sweet. Currently sound asleep which is giving me a little peaceful time too

Chihuahua x dachshund = Chiweenie.
How do, you work that one out ?
I can work out the "Chi" bit, but what about the rest:eek:.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back