The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Chiweenie puppy

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
In the US, frankfurters are often called wieners or weenies, and so they also call dachsunds by this name (like our 'sausage dog').

Doh! OK thank you.
I think it would be easier to say what cross it is in the beginning.
Just because a "Chiweenie" is not an actual breed. :rolleyes:

Doh! OK thank you.

Ah, but it's ever so easy to simply google any term like that - the answer usually pops up right away ;-)

OK, I will try to remember that one next time. Thank you.

Doh! OK thank you.
I put chiweenie as that’s what they’re called or a popular name for them. I didn’t know what breed (or mix) a chiweenie was at first until I googled haha

She's is an absolute poppet. So young, and missing her mum and siblings I don't doubt. That is a thought to keep uppermost in your mind with a puppy.

There are a couple of things that make me uncomfortable here. One is that you start by saying how difficult you are finding this unexpected puppy - fair enough. But then you describe your neighbour as someone who 'makes such a drama out of nothing'. Well, it isn't 'nothing' to your neighbour, and she has a point, so some more empathy and understanding of your neighbour would not come amiss. If I had a dog next door to me who was barking in frustration during the day, was clearly giving her carers a lot of stress and things were not going particularly well, I would be pretty upset myself - for the dog. So whether your neighbour is upset for the dog, or for herself, (s)he deserves some sort of understanding, not 'fake nice'.

That brings me to the second point, which is the quality of the dog's life. Things may improve, as you say, in a year's time, but is that really fair on this dog? There is absolutely no shame in rehoming a dog (especially one that you weren't expecting to have to care for). I have had to do it myself. You and your husband are not the only people who can give this dog a happy life. Someone who has more experience with puppies would probably make a better job of it - and the result would be the dog having a better quality of life. So you need to think about what is the priority here. Your feelings, or the dog's quality of life, basically.

No dog has the choice of carer - they are commodities and have to deal with whatever situation they are put into. Yours is, on balance, not the worst situation, but it could be better. Dogs deserve to be wanted and welcomed to a family, not acquired as gifts. You have been given some advice on training, but this all needed to be in place when she arrived, not one step ahead in the book.

That all sounds very harsh, and I'm sorry for that, because your heart is in the right place. However, I am someone who always takes the dog's part, and at the moment, it doesn't sound to me as if this dog is in the right place.

Feverfew, I got the impression from the posts that the dog wasn't really barking that much at all, but the neighbour was claiming that it went on for ages. Barking at 'stuff' going on in the garden is normal within certain limits. The impression I got was of a normal pup and a caring owner who is finding puppyhood hard but is doing her best to make it work. I for one certainly had no idea what I was letting myself in for when I got a puppy...

Feverfew, I got the impression from the posts that the dog wasn't really barking that much at all, but the neighbour was claiming that it went on for ages. Barking at 'stuff' going on in the garden is normal within certain limits. The impression I got was of a normal pup and a caring owner who is finding puppyhood hard but is doing her best to make it work. I for one certainly had no idea what I was letting myself in for when I got a puppy...

Judy, thank you. This is completely correct and she doesn’t bark in frustration. And also the neighbour is lying so is she is difficult. The comment above was really personal and patronising and thank you for seeing the situation as it is

She's is an absolute poppet. So young, and missing her mum and siblings I don't doubt. That is a thought to keep uppermost in your mind with a puppy.

There are a couple of things that make me uncomfortable here. One is that you start by saying how difficult you are finding this unexpected puppy - fair enough. But then you describe your neighbour as someone who 'makes such a drama out of nothing'. Well, it isn't 'nothing' to your neighbour, and she has a point, so some more empathy and understanding of your neighbour would not come amiss. If I had a dog next door to me who was barking in frustration during the day, was clearly giving her carers a lot of stress and things were not going particularly well, I would be pretty upset myself - for the dog. So whether your neighbour is upset for the dog, or for herself, (s)he deserves some sort of understanding, not 'fake nice'.

That brings me to the second point, which is the quality of the dog's life. Things may improve, as you say, in a year's time, but is that really fair on this dog? There is absolutely no shame in rehoming a dog (especially one that you weren't expecting to have to care for). I have had to do it myself. You and your husband are not the only people who can give this dog a happy life. Someone who has more experience with puppies would probably make a better job of it - and the result would be the dog having a better quality of life. So you need to think about what is the priority here. Your feelings, or the dog's quality of life, basically.

No dog has the choice of carer - they are commodities and have to deal with whatever situation they are put into. Yours is, on balance, not the worst situation, but it could be better. Dogs deserve to be wanted and welcomed to a family, not acquired as gifts. You have been given some advice on training, but this all needed to be in place when she arrived, not one step ahead in the book.

That all sounds very harsh, and I'm sorry for that, because your heart is in the right place. However, I am someone who always takes the dog's part, and at the moment, it doesn't sound to me as if this dog is in the right place.

Firstly, this is completely untrue and patronising.

She doesn’t bark in frustration as I wrote above but when she sees things in garden. She is very happy and affectionate.

I also don’t think you can judge a neighbour when you don’t know them. She has lied and even landlord says she is very difficult. So what I’m saying is in fact the situation I know. Missy barks a handful of times and is actually quite quiet for the most part. Would you say barking at cats when playing is frustrated?

secondly, I didn’t train as I wasn’t aware but you have made me feel I’m useless and don’t know how to care for the dog. Well let me tell you, I came on here to help my situation and take positive steps. Your message reeks of negativity and quite personal. I hope my user name didn’t offend you either - I may be Romany gypsy but I am not someone that would ever not care properly for an animal. I know you didn’t mention this, but wonder why you felt the need to rudely and passive aggressively attack me.

can you tell me what about the situation could be better? You have no idea of how we live and you certainly don’t see a happy and healthy puppy. Just cos I’m going through the puppy blues please don’t patronise me and make me feel my dog is unhappy. Your response is incredibly rude. To see someone looking for help and writing that message is shocking in my eyes.

ps - my partner grew up with loads of puppies his whole life. He has even changed to night jobs to support me and the puppy. Have a nice day.

Firstly, this is completely untrue and patronising.

She doesn’t bark in frustration as I wrote above but when she sees things in garden. She is very happy and affectionate.

I also don’t think you can judge a neighbour when you don’t know them. She has lied and even landlord says she is very difficult. So what I’m saying is in fact the situation I know. Missy barks a handful of times and is actually quite quiet for the most part. Would you say barking at cats when playing is frustrated?

secondly, I didn’t train as I wasn’t aware but you have made me feel I’m useless and don’t know how to care for the dog. Well let me tell you, I came on here to help my situation and take positive steps. Your message reeks of negativity and quite personal. I hope my user name didn’t offend you either - I may be Romany gypsy but I am not someone that would ever not care properly for an animal. I know you didn’t mention this, but wonder why you felt the need to rudely and passive aggressively attack me.

can you tell me what about the situation could be better? You have no idea of how we live and you certainly don’t see a happy and healthy puppy. Just cos I’m going through the puppy blues please don’t patronise me and make me feel my dog is unhappy. Your response is incredibly rude. To see someone looking for help and writing that message is shocking in my eyes.

ps - my partner grew up with loads of puppies his whole life. He has even changed to night jobs to support me and the puppy. Have a nice day.
I did say my response was harsh! No reflection on your ethnicity in my comment, by the way, and I can't see why you would think that.
I will always stand up for a dog's best interests. You came on saying how difficult it has been for you having a puppy. Everyone understands that, and is looking for solutions for you. I also understand that my patronising comments have hurt your feelings. Yup, that's life, as your neighbour will be aware, because you aren't being particularly understanding of her problem.
She isn't here to put her case, and neither can the dog. So think of my negative, patronising comments as a candid suggestion to listen to the other voices in this situation.
Attending to those voices and need can be a game changer, because it switches the locus from you to the animal. This is why I often mention maternal deprivation in puppies. This puppy was a Christmas present, so I'm guessing was about 10 weeks when she arrived?
In a normal environment, dogs start leaving mum around that age, but always returning to her and their families. The mother is still caring for and teaching her offspring well into adolescence. So any puppy is starting from a massive disadvantage. Just being aware of that might change the way you see the problem.

So by you saying it was harsh that means it’s ok?! Ok then. What a small minded way of thinking. To be honest, this is a forum with adults and every other comment has been straight forward, constructive and pro active, as it should be.

you know nothing of the neighbour! But you’re missing the MASSIVE point of she is saying dog is barking constantly but she isn’t! That’s the whole point you’re missing. If she was, then of course we would have empathy. Even Judy said that our puppy isn’t barking but the neighbour is saying she is! That’s the issue not lack of empathy, so you’re drawing from something which isn’t facts.

She was ten weeks and she is very settled. Maybe we can send some videos to you. I was struggling as we have two cats as well which are very demanding so it isn’t all about the puppy but the fact I am human and have puppy blues but I am reaching out to get support. And like most people it’s HUMAN to feel this way, and I can kindly assure you our puppy is not unhappy.

I had the same problem with my neighbour saying my pup had been barking constantly for one hour when I had only been out 20 mins and my mum was indoors with him ...I bought an indoor camera to watch and record what my pups were doing and the noise if any they were making to prove my neighbour was lying and I told her so ( just in case she reported noise to environmental health in council...we have put up with 7 years of her kids shouting and screaming and their many bbq's and partys ...it maybe worth installing a camera for piece of mind ....
Mine also records the noise from the neighbour :mad:;):D:p:D:D:eek:

I had the same problem with my neighbour saying my pup had been barking constantly for one hour when I had only been out 20 mins and my mum was indoors with him ...I bought an indoor camera to watch and record what my pups were doing and the noise if any they were making to prove my neighbour was lying and I told her so ( just in case she reported noise to environmental health in council...we have put up with 7 years of her kids shouting and screaming and their many bbq's and partys ...it maybe worth installing a camera for piece of mind ....
Mine also records the noise from the neighbour :mad:;):D:p:D:D:eek:

Hi,

Yes, great idea! We are going to do that and record so we have that as evidence. Luckily no more complaints as we did kindly explain it wasn’t our pup barking. We are right next to a park which is handy! But a lot of the barking is from there! I think it’s a cheek when you had all that racket and then they were the ones that accused your doggy of barking! I’m glad you managed to set the record straight :)

A friend had a similar problem when her dog was reported for howling all day. At the time, the dog was staying with me a county away while friend was on holiday. Said neighbour had four noisy children that were nicely spaced in age that one was always screaming, yelling or bawling. Fortunately they moved!

That sounds about right. Of course i'm sure their kids always played quietly:rolleyes: NOT

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back