The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ckc Not Recognized By F.c.i

frontrun

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I just learned from the Chihuahua list, that on a meeting in Rome this month F.C.I decided, from Jan. 1st. 2007 , not to accept pedigrees from Canadian Kennel Club anymore. Nor can any Canadian judges judge on any F.C.I shows anymore.

bw

Rudi Brandt

frontrun said:
I just learned from the Chihuahua list, that on a meeting in Rome this month F.C.I decided, from Jan. 1st. 2007 , not to accept pedigrees from Canadian Kennel Club anymore. Nor can any Canadian judges judge on any F.C.I shows anymore.
bw

Rudi Brandt

Okay,at the risk of sounding stupid....WHY?? Was there a reason given for this?

Below text copied from another site.. quite harsd I´d say..

"Canadian Kennel Club pedigrees and judges

On the occasion of its meeting in Rome on October 25th and 26th, 2006, the FCI General Committee made the following decision:

Due to the continuous lack of communication and response from the Canadian Kennel Club, due to the fact that the CKC does not recognise the pedigrees from many of our members and contract partners and due to the lack of common orientation between the two organisations, the Canadian Kennel Club judges will no longer be allowed to officiate at FCI international CACIB shows as from January 1st 2007.

In addition, pedigrees issued by the CKC as from January 1st 2007 will no longer be recognized by the FCI.

Finally, the title of CKC Champion is no longer accepted for the entry in Champion Class at FCI International CACIB shows as from January 1st 2007.

We thank the member organisations and contract partners to inform URGENTLY all their shows organisers. In case this decision would not be observed, the organisers would be sanctioned."

05whippet said:
frontrun said:
bw

Rudi Brandt

I am very interested in too. I'm not really aware of the antesedent of this decision. :">

05whippet said:
frontrun said:
bw

Rudi Brandt

Over the years F.C.I has struggled with Canadian Kennel Club in matters like : CKC does not answer letters, CKC does not accept German reg. dogs, CKC does not accept other countries titles ( not even GB.CH`s ) They strip the whole pedigree for titles of parrents, grandparrents ect. when a dog is imported in Canada.

Lanny Morry will know more about it I think.

Rudi Brandt

www.kennelfrontrunners.dk

frontrun said:
05whippet said:
frontrun said:
bw

Rudi Brandt

Over the years F.C.I has struggled with Canadian Kennel Club in matters like : CKC does not answer letters, CKC does not accept German reg. dogs, CKC does not accept other countries titles ( not even GB.CH`s ) They strip the whole pedigree for titles of parrents, grandparrents ect. when a dog is imported in Canada.

Lanny Morry will know more about it I think.

Rudi Brandt

www.kennelfrontrunners.dk

Well in that case,I can see perfectly where they are coming from then.

I understand too - now that it has been explained.

I can't understand why they would remove Ch's from pedigrees, if a dog has earned his title in any country at all, he has earned a title - very strange. ;)

jools said:
I understand too - now that it has been explained.I can't understand why they would remove Ch's from pedigrees, if a dog has earned his title in any country at all, he has earned a title - very strange.  ;)

Greetings from Canada.

Rudi Brandt, from whom we have imported two whippets over the years (and exported several to), described the situation well. We have previously raised the same sort of concerns raised by FCI with our Canadian Kennel Club elected representative that the FCI tried to raise with CKC management and pointed out that the world has shrunk and CKC should initiate reciprocal recognition practices with other national kennel clubs, including even the American Kennel Club. We have been breeding whippets using imported English bloodlines from Nevedith, as well as related bloodlines from Frontrunners in Denmark (Rudi Brandt), Jarmo Vuorinen in Finland, and Bart Scheerens in Belgium, and an outcross line using Sporting Field bred whippets from the United States.

Yet when we import a dog from any of these sources, once registered in Canada the foreign born dog's certified pedigree will ONLY include the Canadian championship title(s) earned by that dog or its ancestors. Pretty horrible huh?

Consider the fact, as just one example, of our importation three years ago of English Champion Nevedith Ceefa Ceely from Nevedith Kennels. Notwithstanding the fact Ceely arrived in Canada transferred to the ownership of my son Mick, in whose name all Avalonia whippets are registered, and accompanied by a certified KC pedigree which listed her title and those of her illustrious ancestors, including both her sire and dam who are also English champions, along with others including Jesta, Nutshell and Dutch Gold who for heavens sake was BIS at Crufts, the CKC registered Ceely, and a pedigree of her, or her children does not show the English (or other) titles earned by anyone in her pedigree before she was imported to Canada and earned her Cdn.Ch. title. This is patently unfair, to Ceely and the breeders who produced her, and while we certainly provide purchasers of her pups a full recording of the illustrious background she enjoys produced by our pedigree program, it would be far more honourable if Ceely's certified pedigree and those of her children reflected truly earned titles as confirmed by the national registries of the countries in which those titles were earned.

Now to demonstrate the other side of the coin. In late 1997 we sent a Cdn.Ch. whippet dog to Jarmo Vuorinen in Finland. Cdn.Ch. Avalonia Wheatfield Waving went into Finland with his CKC registration transferred and his certified pedigree provided and he was registered that way in Finland. Not only that, but Nicholas, as he is called, was immediately eligble to earn a Finnish title the first time he won a Finnish CAC because he was already a champion elsewhere. In fact, in his show career, Nicolas benefited from that rule and earned not just his Finnish but his Norwegian title, and he was World Winner '98 at the World Show in Helsinki under Espen Engh.

Another example to stretch the point to cover the USA. Our friend Jalynn Almond (DuMond whippets in Maryland, USA), has just returned home after bringing Cdn.Ch. Avalonia All Hallow's Eve up to Canada to be bred to Cdn.Ch. Frontrunner's Full Monty. Eve is a daughter of Ceely and Cdn.Ch. Avalonia Wotta Jesta (a son of Justa Jesta). Monty was sired by Dk.Swed.Ch. Nevedith Veefa Vagabond, imported to Denmark from the UK by Rudi Brandt. His dam is a much titled bitch Int.Germ.Fr.Dk.and two times World Ch. Honey Honey du Tadjoura. But the CKC and AKC will only list the titles earned by any of the dogs in those pedigrees that were earned in their own countries, despite the fact the European and English titles are so much more difficult to earn, as a general rule, than any title in Canada or the USA. Ludicrous, isn't it? It really devalues the importance of the pedigree when you see a five generation pedigree stripped of those earned and important titles of the dogs ancestors.

According to the information we have been fed over here, communications somehow were never effective between FCI and CKC (I expect a head or two will roll over here by the time this is finished) and so FCI took the extraordinary step of announcing that effective 1 January 2007 no Canadian judge will be permitted to judge at FCI shows anywhere in the world, and no Canadian-born dog (except those currently in a foreign registration process) will be eligible for registration ini an FCI country. This does not, of course include the USA or Great Britian, but conceivably if the CKC wishes to fix this mess for the benefit of Canadian breeder/exhibitors who believe the world is made up of more than the little shows we have here in Canada and who delight in showing or exporting their dogs abroad, it will fix it for everyone.

It is very regretable this has happened, but as a Canadian whose entire breeding program has been resourced and strengthened for nearly 25 years now with whippets who did not originate in Canada, I fully understand and support the need for action in this case. I am also very optimistic that CKC will resolve this matter, in the interests of its breeder/exhibitors, and the interests of the dog fancy worldwide.

Obviously its time to stay tuned!

Lanny Morry

It is very regretable this has happened, but as a Canadian whose entire breeding program has been resourced and strengthened for nearly 25 years now with whippets who did not originate in Canada, I fully understand and support the need for action in this case.  I am also very optimistic that CKC will resolve this matter, in the interests of its breeder/exhibitors, and the interests of the dog fancy worldwide.
I hope too that that probrem will be solved soon.

I can understand all your reasons!

From Canada

Well said Lanny I couldn't agree more.

I might remind CKC members that it is time to renew your memberships for 2007 or NOT. We get less and less for our $ so why bother?

Lets hope they can come to thier senses.

It is a slap in the face for breeders in other countrys who have worked so hard to get CH: in front of their dogs name to have it omitted on future pedigrees in Canada.And we in Canada know it is way more difficult to achieve a Championship in non north American countries.

Reminds me of an article I read many years ago ,written by a Canadian called "Cheap Champions"

I am originally from the UK and now a permanent resident in Canada and find this a total embarassement. Sandra French ManorCourt Whippets

Avalonia said:
jools said:
I understand too - now that it has been explained.I can't understand why they would remove Ch's from pedigrees, if a dog has earned his title in any country at all, he has earned a title - very strange.   ;)

Greetings from Canada.

Rudi Brandt, from whom we have imported two whippets over the years (and exported several to), described the situation well. We have previously raised the same sort of concerns raised by FCI with our Canadian Kennel Club elected representative that the FCI tried to raise with CKC management and pointed out that the world has shrunk and CKC should initiate reciprocal recognition practices with other national kennel clubs, including even the American Kennel Club. We have been breeding whippets using imported English bloodlines from Nevedith, as well as related bloodlines from Frontrunners in Denmark (Rudi Brandt), Jarmo Vuorinen in Finland, and Bart Scheerens in Belgium, and an outcross line using Sporting Field bred whippets from the United States.

Yet when we import a dog from any of these sources, once registered in Canada the foreign born dog's certified pedigree will ONLY include the Canadian championship title(s) earned by that dog or its ancestors. Pretty horrible huh?

Consider the fact, as just one example, of our importation three years ago of English Champion Nevedith Ceefa Ceely from Nevedith Kennels. Notwithstanding the fact Ceely arrived in Canada transferred to the ownership of my son Mick, in whose name all Avalonia whippets are registered, and accompanied by a certified KC pedigree which listed her title and those of her illustrious ancestors, including both her sire and dam who are also English champions, along with others including Jesta, Nutshell and Dutch Gold who for heavens sake was BIS at Crufts, the CKC registered Ceely, and a pedigree of her, or her children does not show the English (or other) titles earned by anyone in her pedigree before she was imported to Canada and earned her Cdn.Ch. title. This is patently unfair, to Ceely and the breeders who produced her, and while we certainly provide purchasers of her pups a full recording of the illustrious background she enjoys produced by our pedigree program, it would be far more honourable if Ceely's certified pedigree and those of her children reflected truly earned titles as confirmed by the national registries of the countries in which those titles were earned.

Now to demonstrate the other side of the coin. In late 1997 we sent a Cdn.Ch. whippet dog to Jarmo Vuorinen in Finland. Cdn.Ch. Avalonia Wheatfield Waving went into Finland with his CKC registration transferred and his certified pedigree provided and he was registered that way in Finland. Not only that, but Nicholas, as he is called, was immediately eligble to earn a Finnish title the first time he won a Finnish CAC because he was already a champion elsewhere. In fact, in his show career, Nicolas benefited from that rule and earned not just his Finnish but his Norwegian title, and he was World Winner '98 at the World Show in Helsinki under Espen Engh.

Another example to stretch the point to cover the USA. Our friend Jalynn Almond (DuMond whippets in Maryland, USA), has just returned home after bringing Cdn.Ch. Avalonia All Hallow's Eve up to Canada to be bred to Cdn.Ch. Frontrunner's Full Monty. Eve is a daughter of Ceely and Cdn.Ch. Avalonia Wotta Jesta (a son of Justa Jesta). Monty was sired by Dk.Swed.Ch. Nevedith Veefa Vagabond, imported to Denmark from the UK by Rudi Brandt. His dam is a much titled bitch Int.Germ.Fr.Dk.and two times World Ch. Honey Honey du Tadjoura. But the CKC and AKC will only list the titles earned by any of the dogs in those pedigrees that were earned in their own countries, despite the fact the European and English titles are so much more difficult to earn, as a general rule, than any title in Canada or the USA. Ludicrous, isn't it? It really devalues the importance of the pedigree when you see a five generation pedigree stripped of those earned and important titles of the dogs ancestors.

According to the information we have been fed over here, communications somehow were never effective between FCI and CKC (I expect a head or two will roll over here by the time this is finished) and so FCI took the extraordinary step of announcing that effective 1 January 2007 no Canadian judge will be permitted to judge at FCI shows anywhere in the world, and no Canadian-born dog (except those currently in a foreign registration process) will be eligible for registration ini an FCI country. This does not, of course include the USA or Great Britian, but conceivably if the CKC wishes to fix this mess for the benefit of Canadian breeder/exhibitors who believe the world is made up of more than the little shows we have here in Canada and who delight in showing or exporting their dogs abroad, it will fix it for everyone.

It is very regretable this has happened, but as a Canadian whose entire breeding program has been resourced and strengthened for nearly 25 years now with whippets who did not originate in Canada, I fully understand and support the need for action in this case. I am also very optimistic that CKC will resolve this matter, in the interests of its breeder/exhibitors, and the interests of the dog fancy worldwide.

Obviously its time to stay tuned!

Lanny Morry

By doing this surely the CKC have " cut off their nose Despite Their Face" so to speak. and have alienated themselves from the majority of the rest of the dog showing world !

Which is quite bizarre ( to me anyway) even here in Ireland we have recipocal agreements with All other FCi member states,The KC, Australia and even America. Not bad for a small island!

I hope that things improve and that agreement can be reached on all sides. We have seen many a good Judge from Canada here. Good Luck :luck:

Claire said:
By doing this surely the CKC have " cut off their nose Despite Their Face" so to speak. and have alienated themselves from the majority of the rest of the dog showing world !
Which is quite bizarre ( to me anyway) even here in Ireland we have recipocal agreements with All other FCi member states,The KC, Australia and even America. Not bad for a small island!

I hope that things improve and that agreement can be reached on all sides. We have seen many a good Judge from Canada here.  Good Luck  :luck:

I think it was a bold and savvy move by the FCI to do this because it sure got the CKC's attention, with owner/breeder/exhibitors such as ourselves and licensed judges all having reasons to go to the CKC management team and demand that the situation be rectified, and quickly. I particularly think that banning our judges was brilliant because while the management of the club may try to stare down the bleating masses that make up the general membership, it is another thing entirely for them to mollify our highly competent, widely appreciated senior all rounder judges who have many assignments each year in FCI shows.

On a personal level, we have on a number of occasions in the past sent the CKC official documents from foreign kennel clubs, including those of Finland and Belgium, confirming the titles earned by our dogs in those jurisdictions, specifically requesting that CKC note these titles on the pedigrees of our dogs. We have never had so much as an acknowledgement of these documents nor this requet from CKC staff who manage the files. It is like dropping your request down a hole in the well and waiting to hear for it to hit bottom.

Hopefully once this mess is resolved we and hundreds of Canadians like us will be able to resubmit the certified pedigrees of our imports, past and present, and demand that CKC amend and update its records at least so far as dogs that have become part of the Canadian experience are concerned.

We got a very encouraging note from our CKC regional director, John Hodgkinson (a very good guy in our books), last night in which he remarks:

"The correspondence about the FCI action has brought home to me that there is much more traffic in Canadian dogs going to and from FCI countries than I realized. It is also great to learn how well many of them have done in competition there and to hear of you dog's successes.

We will start to build bridges with the FCI immediately and I aim to resolve problems and get the decision reversed."

As I said before, stay tuned. It isn't over, till it's over!

Lanny

y the withdrawal of judging authority in FCI countries. Many of these judging assignments are in wonderful European locations, makinig th and make an overseas

I, for one, am hoping that once the FCI gets through with the Canadian Kennel Club (and I'm hopeful that all will be equitably resolved in that corner) the FCI will then turn to the AKC and do the same thing!

Jalynn Almond

DuMond Whippets

Just want you all know how well things are here in Finland. I have sent two males to Lanny and Mick Morry, Canada. They both become Canadian Champions in their times and I asked Lanny to send me their Championship diplomas. I sent thoise diplomas to Finnish Kennel Club and after one week both Championships were also registered in Finnish Kennel Club, even they are not any more living here.

That way it should be all over the world!!

This is a bit of topic but might interest all of you:

Nowadays Finnish Kennel Club has a gorgeous website where you can find all registered dogs from all breeds, there is also all official health examinations, all show results etc. All this you can list different ways.

http://jalostus.kennelliitto.fi/frmEtusivu.aspx?Lang=en

choose FCI group 10 and then breed: whippets

Jarmo

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back