The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

cockapoo with ear problems

Peter Rose

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our 8 year old Cockapoo has alwways had problems with her ears. I clean them out with warm water each day and then apply some Savlon antispetic cream. She was given a course of Apoquel tablets by the Vet but doesn't seem to have made much difference.

I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks

No 'cure' has been found for atopic dermatitis (eczema)....which is what the vet is treating if using Apoquel.

Last edited:
You could try looking at Dorwest Herbal treatments they may have something you can use topically combined with a herbal remedy taken internally. If you email them they are pretty good at getting back to you:)

Atopic dermatitis is hereditary so there is no cure, so it is about managing it for her lifetime where it is inflammed. There are certain lines in certain breeds of dog such as West Highland White Terriers, Labradors, Chinese Shar peis, Springer/Cocker Spaniels and Poodles that are more prone to developing the disease....
So by getting a cross breed of two breeds where both are prone to having it. The most common substances triggering allergic reactions are microscopic house dust and storage mites. These are tiny mites invisible to the naked eye that live in the home in places such as clothes, furniture and carpets. These mites do not normally cause a problem, however animals with atopic dermatitis develop an allergic reaction to them and reactions to seasonal substances such as grass, weed or tree pollens can also trigger it.

keeping her ears clean of hair ( in poodles their ears need plucking to ensure they remain clean) There are some ideas on here to help you manage her scrtching How to Clean a Dog's Ear with Ear Mites

Our 8 year old Cockapoo has alwways had problems with her ears. I clean them out with warm water each day and then apply some Savlon antispetic cream. She was given a course of Apoquel tablets by the Vet but doesn't seem to have made much difference.

I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks
Yes that is what I understand having read up a bit about this problem. My Vet wants to send a sample swab from her inner ear to a lab for analysis to find the best treatment remedy. Hmm not sure about that from what I've heard from other dog owners.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back