The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cockapoo with ear problems

Discussion in 'General Dog Forum' started by Peter Rose, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Peter Rose

Peter Rose New Member Registered

Our 8 year old Cockapoo has alwways had problems with her ears. I clean them out with warm water each day and then apply some Savlon antispetic cream. She was given a course of Apoquel tablets by the Vet but doesn't seem to have made much difference.

I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks

2. Inka

Inka Active Member Registered

No 'cure' has been found for atopic dermatitis (eczema)....which is what the vet is treating if using Apoquel.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  3. Flobo

Flobo Well-Known Member Registered Partner

You could try looking at Dorwest Herbal treatments they may have something you can use topically combined with a herbal remedy taken internally. If you email them they are pretty good at getting back to you:)

Peter Rose likes this.
  4. Inka

Inka Active Member Registered

Atopic dermatitis is hereditary so there is no cure, so it is about managing it for her lifetime where it is inflammed. There are certain lines in certain breeds of dog such as West Highland White Terriers, Labradors, Chinese Shar peis, Springer/Cocker Spaniels and Poodles that are more prone to developing the disease....
    So by getting a cross breed of two breeds where both are prone to having it. The most common substances triggering allergic reactions are microscopic house dust and storage mites. These are tiny mites invisible to the naked eye that live in the home in places such as clothes, furniture and carpets. These mites do not normally cause a problem, however animals with atopic dermatitis develop an allergic reaction to them and reactions to seasonal substances such as grass, weed or tree pollens can also trigger it.

keeping her ears clean of hair ( in poodles their ears need plucking to ensure they remain clean) There are some ideas on here to help you manage her scrtching How to Clean a Dog's Ear with Ear Mites

Peter Rose likes this.
  5. Peter Rose

Peter Rose New Member Registered

Yes that is what I understand having read up a bit about this problem. My Vet wants to send a sample swab from her inner ear to a lab for analysis to find the best treatment remedy. Hmm not sure about that from what I've heard from other dog owners.