The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cocker spaniel anxiety

Florrie goslin

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi I am hoping for advice on this , I got my cocker spaniel ozzie at 12 weeks old , he's now 22 weeks and is very anxious going outside ,he's fine in the garden but won't do toilet in garden he just runs around eating anything he can get in his mouth leaves grass , he's good at the sit stay wait commands , but once outside the home he won't walk and tries to get back to the house , he will then poo and it an anxiety poo, there is a place where I take him it's a long country path and he's fine there he walks no problem , living in a built up area I can't avoid roads and traffic taking him out , he's also fine with people and dogs , has anyone experienced this problem, I just don't know how to solve it with him .

I suggest you don't force him, to show him that you are listening to him and you are not going to make him face something he can't cope with.

When he learns you aren't going go push him over his threshold his confidence will start to develop.

Also, maybe just sit at your front door with him, watching the traffic etc, and feeding him treats. You could also take him places in the car, and sit at places like the edge of a car park away from the main traffic but where he can observe from a place he feels safe.

Edited to add - have a look online for Leslie McDevitt's pattern games for building confidence.

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back