The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cocker spaniel won’t walk.

Dotty.

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone, our Three year old show cocker spaniel has started to refuse to walk. Our vet has examined her and found no underlying problems.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum. How is she otherwise, indoors and outdoors? Is there something, perhaps, that has scared her such as a noise, another dog, that is causing her to shut down as it were? Did your vet look beyond the obvious external signs, considering neurological problems for example?

I'm sorry to come back with so many questions, but it might help narrow things down so those with some/any similar experience might be bale to assist.

Hello and welcome to the forum. How is she otherwise, indoors and outdoors? Is there something, perhaps, that has scared her such as a noise, another dog, that is causing her to shut down as it were? Did your vet look beyond the obvious external signs, considering neurological problems for example?

I'm sorry to come back with so many questions, but it might help narrow things down so those with some/any similar experience might be bale to assist.

Hi, many thanks for your reply. She seems fine all round, we’ve been away in the Welsh county side, she has run around like a puppy. Once we were back to our accommodation and it was walk/ toilet time she was back not wanting to walk.

Are you back home from Wales now? If so, how long have you been back home for and did she start refusing to walk as soon as you got back home? Had she started refusing walks before you went on holidays?

What is she like in your garden - happy to run and play?

Hi Judy, back today, refusing to walk straight away and just sits in the garden looking at the house. Has been refusing to walk for about three months.

What is it like outside your house? e.g. Busy road? Do you normally take her to a park, and do you often meet other dogs and people? What is she like with dogs & people in general? What if you drive her somewhere in the car - is she happy to walk then?

I'm thinking if she was fine in Wales, it must be something in the environment, so we need to do a bit of detective work.

I had a rescue dog with the same problem. He was so protective of his home he refused to walk once the house was out of sight. He would just lie down and refuse to move but was happy to walk back home. I found that taking him on a short car journey (as Judy suggested) worked really well. Also, vary her walking route. New sight, smells and sounds should distract from her anxiety.

Dot is exactly the same, won't walk from the house but if driven somewhere she will walk fine.
Luckily there's a park a few minutes drive away so that could be the answer.
Thanks.

Will she walk back to the house if you get dropped off at the end of your street? I'm still thinking Judy's point about it being something to do with the environment sounds likely and pinpointing that would give you a big clue to what it is, and therefore how to solve the problem.

Yes, she will happily walk back to the house.
I'm beginning to think she may just be a lazy girl who just wants to be at home with her toys and comfy bed.

No this is not laziness. Something in her world is very wrong, and it's our job as humans to find out what it is and make the situation more acceptable for her. This will be a bonding exercise for both of you.

I'd agree, not laziness. If that's what it was, you would see her do the same in other places, and you have said she doesn't. Does it start before you leave the door? Or the garden gate?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back