The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Collars

JAMES

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I notice in most pet shops, that they stock specific collars for Greyhounds, a rather wide and oval shaped collar. Is there a collar specifically for Whippets?  

Also at what age and again what type of collar is suitable for a whippet puppy? Will any puppy lead and collar set do? ???

:D  Hi James, Yes the whippet collar is the same as the Greyhound collars you have seen in the pet shops only smaller. I think if you ask most pet shops can order you one.

I myself use a small harness on my puppy whippets, as I find they cannot slip out of these, if suddenly worried about something. They do wear a normal puppy collar with a name tag on though, just to get used to wearing something around their necks. (much to their disgust at first, lots of sulking and scratching)

Hope this helps. :D

Hi James

I usually start my pups off wearing a soft cat collar at about 8wks to get them used to wearing a collar, if it has a bell on it you know where they are and can check they are not up to any mischief, you can also hear them when they go down the garden in the dark :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D

The last litter of pups we bred just didn't take to collars at all, two of them screamed the house down everytime you put a collar on them for about four weeks.

There are some good whippet / greyhound stockists on the internet fairly cheap, try doing a search!!

James,

I recently visited The Greyhound And Whippet Shop in Walthamstow, East London. It's close to the greyhound stadium. They were very helpful, I got a couple of collars (one really small) a lead, and a jacket (which isn't gone last long)! They offer a mail order service and I should imagine they'd be pretty good. They asked me to bring my pup up to see 'em when he's ready. I dunno if anyone else has used 'em, but I knew the shop was there as I was 'Stow boy for many years, and I still reommend the stadium for a night out....

Here's the link if you ain't already found it...

http://www.abap.org/mall/GWShop/

Paul

Never had collars from the Greyhound & Whippet shop but have had wool coats and they were superb, very reasonable as well.  Daren't go there, would probably spend a fortune!!! but their mail order service is excellent and they are very helpful on the phone

Is Dave still there? I used to go there to get food and bedding  for my Greys in the days I had loads of them!  

Next time you go in ask about the tale of the red coat and

my white greyhound.

Sue         :p

Hi, we buy lots of whippet collars because a couple of my whippets seem to like biting the end of the collar off :angry:i then have no holes to fasten the collar with, don't half make you mad   :angry:   ;)   :D

Mine not so much the collars but the leads especcially leather ones. We bought Ella a chain lead after she chewed through 3 or 4 leads and she managed to chew through the handle, how that for p*****g you off!!

Whats the best thing to do if your sweet gentle whippet pulls on the lead like there is no tomorrow!!!!, I won't use a choke chain, we keep checking him, when he's on the lead but it doesn't seem to get through to him. If we meet another person, dog or something to chase he's walking on two hind legs. We are going to end up with arms down to our knees ???

Many thanks for all replies and advice. I have been using a cat collar as a way of introdution, the addition of a bell is very useful, but I suspect very annoying for the dog...the constant scratching and rubbing of the neck up and down the lawn gives that away.

I purchased a smart harness which gives me greater confidence when outside, as was kindly pointed out to me, she can't slip this as with a collar. Next will be the oval collar,  but I shall have to wait and see what size will be required.  

:p

Shane

How about trying a half-check collar on your puller?  Terry Ward (Venture Coats) makes Whippet shaped ones in leather or Canac do softish nylon ones.  Alternatively, if he is really bad a Halti.  I use a leather one on my big strapping lad and it works a treat.  I got it from Dogmatic who have a website.

Ive done abit of obedience with all my whippets and what they taught me to do for pulling was to turn and walk the opposite direction, every time they lunged forward I would turn and walk away giving the command heal or what ever you personally favour. They start to getting the idea in just a few minuites. The draw back is it dosent get you very far if your in a hurry, and the dogs suffer with selective deafness if there is a cat or similar furry creature across the road. Seriously though it works and I have never needed a choke chain or similar.

My two are little houdini's when it comes to getting out of collars, so I've always used a 1/2 check of one type or another.  The ones I'm using now I got from http://www.accoladeleathercraft.co.uk called the 'hound half check'.  He regularly has them at shows, but generally only 1" wide.  I asked him to make me them 1.5" wide and they are PERFECT.

I use Whippet Rescue collars on them (in pretty colours) for all the time wear with their tags - or rolled leather as well, but put the half checks on as well when it's time for a walk.

Wendy

Wendy,

Thanks for Accolade Web address. They've got some great quality gear. Been on to them this morning for a 1.5" half check. Glad they are miles away, it's one big sweetie shop with everyting in leather!   :p

we have found a super item for those whippets that pull on the lead - at least it has worked with our stereophonic 10month old - she comes at us from all directions. It is called a LUPI and is just like a piece of cord and like a baby harness we bought a small size - and it works like a dream - it costa about £5-6 ours came from a vets :) :)

James - only just saw your note - I hope the collar turned out okay. They have a LOT of good stuff. I love their stall when I go to shows. He's custom done a few things for me and they are REALLY good.

Wendy

shane said:
Whats the best thing to do if your sweet gentle whippet pulls on the lead like there is no tomorrow!!!!, I won't use a choke chain, we keep checking him, when he's on the lead but it doesn't seem to get through to him. If we meet another person, dog or something to chase he's walking on two hind legs. We are going to end up with arms down to our knees ???
i used a halti on one of mine wich pulled, fantasic things ,they cant pull but are comfortable for the dog.i had to clip it around collar as he could slip it if he pulled backwards.

dessie said:
ShaneHow about trying a half-check collar on your puller?  Terry Ward (Venture Coats) makes Whippet shaped ones in leather or Canac do softish nylon ones.  Alternatively, if he is really bad a Halti.  I use a leather one on my big strapping lad and it works a treat.  I got it from Dogmatic who have a website.

I use the dogmatic halti's too. They're brilliant :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back