The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Constant Pulling

Suzanne Rymes

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Have a 3 year old lab, wasn't mine from pup got her 5 months ago and I am looking for tips etc
  • She is very strong
  • walking on lead is hell and constantly pulls
  • pulls excessively to meet over dogs
  • when off lead runs back to you but no sign of stopping, has knocked into my other dog a few times and nearly knocked them out
Help, please :)

There is a very simple and totally kind way to fix this. In my professional days it never took longer than ten minutes. There are also safe kind other ways but they take longer. However, it is difficult to explain over the 'net. There are various Youtubes that attempt to explain, and you may find one that suits you. You need IMO a trainer on the spot to help you, as timing is all. Explore trainers in your area and you will be agreeably surprised.

There is a very simple and totally kind way to fix this. In my professional days it never took longer than ten minutes. There are also safe kind other ways but they take longer. However, it is difficult to explain over the 'net. There are various Youtubes that attempt to explain, and you may find one that suits you. You need IMO a trainer on the spot to help you, as timing is all. Explore trainers in your area and you will be agreeably surprised.
thanks, what should i be looking for on you tube ?

Any video by Kikopup is worth trying. For example:

There's also
and

@Hemlock, would it be possible for you to have a look at these and see if any show the method you use?

No: none of them, though I don't dislike the methods shown.

Ironically, although I am a good "explainer" it is impossible to explain what I do, as the timing is so important. I will see if the trainer who showed me has an Internet presence. I went on a truly awful 2-day seminar many years ago, but it had this one diamond in the midst of all the dross.

No: none of them, though I don't dislike the methods shown.

Ironically, although I am a good "explainer" it is impossible to explain what I do, as the timing is so important. I will see if the trainer who showed me has an Internet presence. I went on a truly awful 2-day seminar many years ago, but it had this one diamond in the midst of all the dross.
One of the videos I viewed, used a prong collar - would you use one? they look very offensive so kinda wanted to know if they actually work without causing the dog distress.

used a prong collar - would you use one?

Never. It might stop the pulling, but it's a lazy way to train - inflicting at least discomfort, if not pain. There is a saying that if you want a dog to sit in a particular corner of a room, you can reward him when he sits in the right one, or you can beat him if he sits in any of the other three. The result may look the same, but you will have two very different dogs at the end of the process.

Have a look at the video below. One dog was trained using aversive tools, the other using force free, reward based training.

https://youtube.com/shorts/iOq7-mRDE34?feature=share

No internet presence found from the trainer who taught me the method I use, and it was so long ago that they might not even be in this world any more. Plenty of good advice on here showing other kind sensible methods, though. Probably a real-life session with a good trainer would speed up the learning for you both, but do source that trainer carefully.

Have a 3 year old lab, wasn't mine from pup got her 5 months ago and I am looking for tips etc
  • She is very strong
  • walking on lead is hell and constantly pulls
  • pulls excessively to meet over dogs
  • when off lead runs back to you but no sign of stopping, has knocked into my other dog a few times and nearly knocked them out
Help, please :)
Well, first off, congratulations on taking on an adult dog - people often only ever want a puppy.
I wonder if she has similar enthusiasm in her daily life with you, or if it is just on walks? It's difficult to say without seeing her, but could it be that her walks are a bit too exciting for her to cope with? One thing I would definitely do is to walk your dogs separately. That way, your other dog won't get bowled over, and you can give 100% attention to the new one when you and she are walking together. This us so important to building your friendship with her too.

It's pretty unusual for a dog to bang into another dog by accident because they are very, very good at estimating space, so I also wonder if there is a bit of bullying going on? Any tension around food or affection between the two dogs maybe? Has someone's nose been put out of joint by the new arrival maybe? Worth looking at those aspects too.

You'll notice I have no recommendations for training her not to pull, and that's because I don't believe the answer lies in traditional training. What I do recommend is a holistic approach and removing any potential sources of conflict or pain. I have known several dogs who were pulling to get away from the feeling of the collar or their harness - or even to get further away from the owner.

You could try walking with her in quieter places to start with, and also use a long line (5 or 8 metres), to encourage her to slow down and 'smell the roses'. Get a feel for the distance that she feels is comfortable between you. I don't know what her history is, but there could be some trust issues there. Maybe she's been punished for pulling on the lead? That would be ineffective and also can produce exactly the same behaviour as the dog tries to remove herself from the situation that predicts punishment - even if it wasn't you who did the punishing.

You could also try some low key scent games on your walks to get her more engaged with the environment and less frantic. The book by Lil van Kampf called The Kingdom of Scent is very good for that sort of activity. Good luck! Come back and tell us how you get on with all these suggestions, including the videos from Kikopup.

Ps another interesting book is by Turid Rugaas 'What do I do when my dog pulls?' And also look up Turid Rugaas on YouTube

Well, first off, congratulations on taking on an adult dog - people often only ever want a puppy.
I wonder if she has similar enthusiasm in her daily life with you, or if it is just on walks? It's difficult to say without seeing her, but could it be that her walks are a bit too exciting for her to cope with? One thing I would definitely do is to walk your dogs separately. That way, your other dog won't get bowled over, and you can give 100% attention to the new one when you and she are walking together. This us so important to building your friendship with her too.

It's pretty unusual for a dog to bang into another dog by accident because they are very, very good at estimating space, so I also wonder if there is a bit of bullying going on? Any tension around food or affection between the two dogs maybe? Has someone's nose been put out of joint by the new arrival maybe? Worth looking at those aspects too.

You'll notice I have no recommendations for training her not to pull, and that's because I don't believe the answer lies in traditional training. What I do recommend is a holistic approach and removing any potential sources of conflict or pain. I have known several dogs who were pulling to get away from the feeling of the collar or their harness - or even to get further away from the owner.

You could try walking with her in quieter places to start with, and also use a long line (5 or 8 metres), to encourage her to slow down and 'smell the roses'. Get a feel for the distance that she feels is comfortable between you. I don't know what her history is, but there could be some trust issues there. Maybe she's been punished for pulling on the lead? That would be ineffective and also can produce exactly the same behaviour as the dog tries to remove herself from the situation that predicts punishment - even if it wasn't you who did the punishing.

You could also try some low key scent games on your walks to get her more engaged with the environment and less frantic. The book by Lil van Kampf called The Kingdom of Scent is very good for that sort of activity. Good luck! Come back and tell us how you get on with all these suggestions, including the videos from Kikopup.

I also would suggest Nigel Reed! The Dog Guardian is his book and full of superb information that is sooooo simple! I have managed a lot of changes with Robin in this past week after reading his book! Having had horses for years and years I have a saying ' it is NEVER about the horse!' I would say that about the dogs too! It is down to the way WE handle situations, so it is US that need to change to help the dogs to be the best that they can! I am going up a very steep learning curve and soooooo much to remember! But I have made progress! Still a way to go, but I'm hoping I can make it ! Best of luck!

Just thought I would mention that my dog Robin crashes into loads of things! So I'm sorry but I totally disagree that it is bullying. I agree about the 'enthusiasm' though! Over excitement kicks in the adrenaline, really hard and too hard for most dogs, They can cope with the first kick in, 2nd is loony stage but the third adrenaline kick produces serious mental overdrive with a damage to the system that encourages over production of Adrenalin for the longer term (well that's MY understanding of things, but hey, what do I know!) (having a looney dog I have learned from mistakes and think that all dogs should come with an instruction manual!)

I also would suggest Nigel Reed! The Dog Guardian is his book and full of superb information that is sooooo simple! I have managed a lot of changes with Robin in this past week after reading his book! Having had horses for years and years I have a saying ' it is NEVER about the horse!' I would say that about the dogs too! It is down to the way WE handle situations, so it is US that need to change to help the dogs to be the best that they can! I am going up a very steep learning curve and soooooo much to remember! But I have made progress! Still a way to go, but I'm hoping I can make it ! Best of luck!
Thanks for Nigel Reed I found he has some brilliant videos on YT!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back