The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cow Stampede

N2S

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just a word of warning to fellow whippet racers to be vigilant while out walking.

Paul was walking the dogs across a field yesterday along a public footpath with Jack & Timmy on the leads. On his way back to the campsite he was confronted by a number of cows so kept the dogs on a tight lead. As he walked along the path he turned round and there were four cows running towards him and the dogs. His only escape was to run like hell or cross a ditch full of stagnant water. He chose the first option and ran with the two dogs pulling him along. The rest of the herd of cows were across the field and started running towards them to try and cut them off. Luckily Jack & Timmy managed to pull him along and out of the field in time. He felt like he was running as fast as the bionic man with the dogs pulling him!!!

Just posting this to make people aware of the dangers even with dogs on leads especially as another dog walker was trampled to death by a herd of cows in the last couple of days according to the papers.

Personally I'm glad I wasn't there but I havent had such a quiet night in the caravan as they were all sound asleep afterwards! However on a serious note this could have ended with much more serious consequences.

WHEN OUT FOR WALKS ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS

There has been a recent spate of such incidents,with some resulting in death.

I will be holidaying in the UK this year and we will be taking our dog with us so I have been paying close attention to these reports.

The general consensus seems to be that death or serious injury to the person may be avoided if you let the dog off the lead in such circumstances and run off to safety.The dog is much better able to avoid a herd of stampeding cattle than you are and you and the dog can be reunited once the danger has passed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be holidaying in the UK this year and we will be taking our dog with us so I have been paying close attention to these reports.

The general consensus seems to be that death or serious injury to the person may be avoided if you let the dog off the lead in such circumstances and run off to safety.The dog is much better able to avoid a herd of stampeding cattle than you are and you and the dog can be reunited once the danger has passed.
hows the pup nubian on the rag yet

hows the pup nubian on the rag yet
Not quite there yet. I'm waiting to start when we return from holiday. I have some concerns which I will raise in a separate post soon.

Thanks for asking!

Last edited by a moderator:
It must have been really scary for both Paul & the dogs, glad they all got out safe.

I've got to say though the vision i have in my head is hilarious :thumbsup:

It must have been really scary for both Paul & the dogs, glad they all got out safe.
I've got to say though the vision i have in my head is hilarious :thumbsup:
AND ME :lol:

Must be a week for close shaves while we were out walking the dogs our Tora (Two Faced) jumped into a lake after a swan and her babies and got the shock of her life when the swan reared up flapping its wings and hissing at her Tora decided against getting any closer and came swimming back to me after she'd gone a fair way out for it,so she had a walk a run and a swim today lol got to say mums screaming and panicking was funny she couldnt move she was stuck to the spot i think until i got the dog out and away from the lake lol tora aint a whimp but she deffo whimped out she wasnt tackling the swan.

sadie x

Glad Paul and the dogs are ok - seems we should all be a bit more cautious when out with our dogs.

Sadie NO it wasn't funny, well not from where i was standing :( could you imagine explaining that one to

Kim when she got home from her holiday :eek:

Just a word of warning to fellow whippet racers to be vigilant while out walking.
Paul was walking the dogs across a field yesterday along a public footpath with Jack & Timmy on the leads. On his way back to the campsite he was confronted by a number of cows so kept the dogs on a tight lead. As he walked along the path he turned round and there were four cows running towards him and the dogs. His only escape was to run like hell or cross a ditch full of stagnant water. He chose the first option and ran with the two dogs pulling him along. The rest of the herd of cows were across the field and started running towards them to try and cut them off. Luckily Jack & Timmy managed to pull him along and out of the field in time. He felt like he was running as fast as the bionic man with the dogs pulling him!!!

Just posting this to make people aware of the dangers even with dogs on leads especially as another dog walker was trampled to death by a herd of cows in the last couple of days according to the papers.

Personally I'm glad I wasn't there but I havent had such a quiet night in the caravan as they were all sound asleep afterwards! However on a serious note this could have ended with much more serious consequences.

WHEN OUT FOR WALKS ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS

Lol-I've a good book on 'how to outwit cows' ;) if you're interested.......

Don't think they are quite clever enough to cut you off-but I may be wrong-Lol

On a serious note-glad you're ok-heard/herd of similar happening a few times! Arnie Prescott-(Daylami) had a bad experience with a cow quite a few years ago too, put him in hospital I think.

Karen

Steve Boyd is the man to see about outwitting cows, he did many afore he met the love of his life our Karen.

This time of the year is bad in the feilds with the cattle,young bullocks are the worced in my book but best stay clear.me spendin most of my time on the feild knows wot cattle are like but as long as u and dogs are ok thats main thing.Or take waders next time lol jokin :D

The exact same thing happened to us the other week, We had four dogs with us - 3 pups and a bull x. The cows were very aggresive. We had to let go of the bull x to get away but luckily she kept barking at them til we had 'escaped' and they kept their distance.

Very dangerous though, they should have some sort of sign or close the foot paths if the cows are aggresive.

Lol-Behave yourselves

Do you expect the farmer to do a daily risk assessment for bloody dog walkers who might trespass his field?

Ummmmmmm....Daisy has a touch of PMT today-keep clear!

i would rather be in the field with a 100 mad cows than have the in laws round :lol: now they are wild

Lol-Whilst working in the Abattoir-I outwitted many of the 4 legged kind and whilst working on Nightclub doors outwitted many of the 2 legged variety!-.........................to which the honourable Mr Meades is refferring. :eek:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back