The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crate v playpen/crate and playpen

deebythesea

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Puppy arriving in 3 weeks - have been reading loads regarding crate training and playpens, but am really confused! Breeder recommended playpen, but articles say that is for day use and crates should be used at night. Wary to put down puppy pads in playpen as don't want to do anything that encourages accidents inside. Some sites say crate in a playpen is the way to go... eeek - what should I do?

I am going to be around for the puppy for the first month, but want to leave her for short periods to get her used to it for when I go back to work after a month for 3 hours a day.

Help and advice very much appreciated on all aspects - should I feed the puppy inside the crate, should I close the door from the beginning - and whatever other info may help please!

I my opinion you wont need a play pen. I bought a crate and play pen and I used the play pen once and it was no good to me, so I got rid of it.

If you crate train your puppy properly they will associate their crate as their safe place to be and to sleep and giving a 'bed' command to the crate will ensure that they learn to go into the crate willingly when you ask them to.

They will happily go into the crate when you are due to leave the house and leave them on their own after a while (this wont happen for a few months so don't worry too much). They will feel more secure being in their bed then in a play pen. they will be less inclined to try and escape and will just settle down happily with a chew toy, or a stuffed kong, or whatever you decide to give them when you go out.

When doing house work, and of a night time, keep the crate door shut and locked. same for when you go out. That way you know they are safe, they are not getting up to any mischief (like chewing your skirting boards!) and (most of the time) no accidents will occur in the crate. Once they associate the crate as their bed it is highly unlikely that they will toilet whilst they in the crate, as this is one of the few places that they wont go. Do this right from the word go so they know nothing else, except that's what happens as when needed. Crate training goes hand in hand with toilet training too! It really does help them!

Leave the crate door open during the day whilst your at home with them. It if you make it into a den (popping a blanket over the top so its dark inside) and nice and cozy then when they want a nap they will go to the crate happily. They wont do this all the time. Sometimes they will snooze on your sofa or lie on the carpet so don't worry too much about them not going in the crate much during the day. Mine has been crate trained since the day we had him. He is nearly 2 and when he wants a nap he sleeps on the sofa. If I say bedtime, or he knows we are going out without him, he knows straight away he gets a stuffed kong when this happens so goes straight into his crate and waits patiently for me to give him his treat. He isn't even bothered that we are gone as he is too busy with his kong :)

Don't feed your puppy inside the crate; have it as a bed only. Chose the kitchen or utility room for their meal times.

if you have a book on how to crate train your puppy, follow it religiously and you cant go wrong! I cant recommend it to people on here enough.

Hope all of that helps and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. :)

Good luck with your new little monster!

Sophie x

Thanks for that Sophie

Another question - you say not to feed in the crate, but you give a kong in there... should i give a kong when I first get the puppy and put him in the crate at night and when I am out for short periods during the day during the day, or should night time crating not involve a kong? Do I shut the door of the crate from the beginning or leave it open? Thanks!

Hi there!

Sorry if I've confused you!

Normal meal times, when you feed him his dog food are not to be in the crate.

Treats, like a kong, or a bone (when he is old enough) are perfectly fine for him when he is in the crate. In fact they are very good training tool, for him to get used to being in the crate on his own when you go out. it pre occupies them and by the time they are finished with their treat you are gone and they have no one to whine to, so he just settle down on his own.

Bed time, is up to you. I give my dog half a carrot to munch on at bed time. He associates this with bed time which once eaten he settles down and goes to sleep. How you want to work it with your puppy is up to you. It does depend on how quickly they settle. We gave Bear carrots right from the word go, as they are good for his teeth and general health. Its a healthy treat that wont fatten up your dog! :)

During the night when you have to take him outside to go to the toilet, then no treats when you put him back in the crate. No fuss or cuddles either, as they need to know that the only reason they are out of the crate of a night time, is to go to the toilet. Pick him up and carry him outside, same when you bring him back in. if you just let him out he could go to the toilet on your floor and also start bombing about thinking its play time and at 3am this is one thing you don't want!

The only time you praise him is when he has been to the toilet outside. He needs to know he has been a good boy and done the right thing. But that is the only time (this is strictly night time training I must stress this!).

Crate door locked during bedtime, when you go out and when you are doing the house work. This will also give him chance to get used to the crate door being locked and him still being able to see you when your cleaning and tidying up etc.

I hope this makes a little more sense and I have rambled a bit so sorry about that!

if you're still not sure or have any more questions then just ask! I'll reply as quickly as I can to you.

Sophie x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back