The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crates for Destructive Dogs

rach125

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, got home from college yesterday to find Buster had chewed a huge hole in the sofa. It was a scene of total devastation!! of course we were mad, as he had his kong filled with that cheese stuff but oh no he would much rather chew the sofa! we have decided that perhaps it would be a good idea to crate him whilst we are out.THis would only be an hour from one til 2 then another hour at half 3 til half 4 when i get back from college. I was wondering if anyone had one for sale or perhaps know a website where i can buy one for that some proceeds will go to an animal welfare sanctuary? Also he is 20 months old and im not sure how he will find going in a crate, anyone have any ideas on how to make it a "norm" for him.

Thanks in advance

rach

BUSTER .............YOU NAUGHTY BOY

Hi Rach, there is a crate for sale on the market place............not sure what size your after, might be worth a look :thumbsup:

hi rach i feel your pain lol ,my blue and ollie were really destructive when we used to leave them alone ,and when we moved we invested in two crates blue had never been in one before this he was 1 yrs old when we got the crate ,what we done was put lovel nice plush bedding in ther and left door open for about 2weeks before shutting the door ,which gave him time to get used to just going in on his own acord ,he now loves his crate as do ollie and tia ,they go in ther through out the day its like its ther little space just theres ,and they get peace from the others when ther in ther own cages as we dont encourage them to use eachothers ,and best of all if we go out and they need to be locked in thers no damage like we had before ..this is what we used to come home to ,so was well worth doing in my eyes ....

(w00t)

P3130013.jpg

P3120007.jpg

P1010055copy.jpg

so no more of the above (w00t)

Hi Rach

Most dogs love crates, as they are like a den. If you put his bedding into it, and maybe feed him in there, it will soon be his favourite place. At least by putting him into a crate, you will know the house will be as you left it when you get home, and also he will be safe as there are all sorts of hazards around the house - especially if they chew wires or choke on something. We have ours with removable doors, so when we're at home they still use them, and the oldies often go there for peace when the pup is having a mad 5 mins :teehee:

Mine know the score when I'm going out - out for wees and in to bed, and they don't resist going in at all. :thumbsup:

:luck: Good luck, I'm sure he will love it.

Thanks every one. I have pmd the seller of the crate. Not sure how i pay though? is it by cheque? do you all leave water and their toys in there with them? God nicky its such an awful feeling coming home to chewed things isn't it! I honestly felt sick when i saw it and buster there with some of the foam still in his mouth looking so innocent lol!

hi rach,

i normally pay by cheque when i buy from the market place........unless they have a paypal account :)

good luck im sure you will get the little tinker settled in time :thumbsup:

Oh no, naughty Buster! :eek:

It sounds as though a crate might be a good idea, but you do need to spend a bit of time and effort getting him used to it so he sees it as a safe little den rather than a prison, or you might find he'll bark or even hurt himself trying to get out.

There's a lot of stuff about crate training on the net, but this article is quite good:

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/crate-train.pdf

Just edited to say yes, he should have water available in the crate if he's in there for any length of time. You can get special water bowls that clip on the inside of the crate so they don't get knocked over.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's quite a few threads about crates and crating in the FAQ section here, too, which you might find helpful :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Id never had a crate either till I got Oscar, I find them a godsend...especially as I have 3 cats too.

They have the run of the house most of the time but they can come in very useful.

Heres where I got my latest one from....

http://www.doghealth.co.uk/

Hi Rach.

I had my fleet in a crate when he was a puppy, he would go in in when I was at work and at bed time. He love he crate, in the end he got to big for it. Even my old girl would try and get in it.

I got my from Argos and ther are very good fleet had anoth round to move around and have his toy with him. We did have the dig one.

well i borrowed one from eden animal rescue and buster wen in it ok (with help of chicken!) but the prob was it was sooo huge it looked reli unsightly so i am looking for one thats a better size for him and that fits in a bit nicer. We have just got a new sofa from DFS and when it comes buster will not be in the living room when we arent around!

I've used a crate for Ruby from getting her at 8 weeks. She is really good with it, she sleeps in it at night and goes in really willingly then and also if I have to go out for an hour or two. Also the other day there were other people in and out of the house with work going on and she went in like a lamb and didn't make a sound even though she knew we were still there. I don't put her in it un-necessarily though and she has another day-time bed in the house, when I am in with her. It gives me peace of mind though knowing she just goes to sleep and isn't getting into anything that might hurt her. I also have one in the car for her.

Pauline

maggie217 said:
I've used a crate for Ruby from getting her at 8 weeks.  She is really good with it, she sleeps in it at night and goes in really willingly then and also if I have to go out for an hour or two. Also the other day there were other people in and out of the house with work going on and she went in like a lamb and didn't make a sound even though she knew we were still there.  I don't put her in it un-necessarily though and she has another day-time bed in the house, when I am in with her.  It gives me peace of mind though knowing she just goes to sleep and isn't getting into anything that might hurt her.  I also have one in the car for her.Pauline

hi i haved used crates with all my dogs and there the best thing i ever bought ideal for house training and for peace of mind for a hour or two to nip out also at night to sleep in and in the car for travelling you wont regret having one i wouldnt be without mine. :)

Hi..I agree with all that`s been said. I have crates for all my dogs and they love them. I bought mine from ebay ( new) and they have all lasted really well.

Sometimes I come in to find ALL my dogs in one crate....The smallest !! They are totally mad ! I leave the doors open for them to come/go as they please and then close the doors at night !

Having five dogs, they sometimes used to be up playing and getting into mischief through the night when they were younger !!

I am laughing my socks off at the photographs of the mayhem....Oh the culprits look sooooo innocent !!!! :b

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back