The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crates

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
chillitt said:
i just got a crate for 38 quid delivered off 'an online auction site'.. when they are that cheap, i dont think its worth messing about with an old one (and i will dive into a skip with gusto for something that is worth scrounging!) :- "

I think you could have a point there Chillit, it would be a very faffy job Macha, it might cost you more in the long run with wire wool, paint ect ect. :thumbsup:

In Ireland we are required to crate our dogs on the train. Recently I made a few trips in N Ireland using a fabric crate. My two dogs shared the crate and they were quiet and well-behaved. But I was sitting near them all the time apart from a couple of short trips to the toilet.

On the train from Belfast to Dublin, it is likely that I will be told to put the crate in the guard car and that I will not be allowed to sit there myself. So I'm not sure whether my dogs will start pawing or biting at the crate. I really do not want to go back to dragging a heavy metal cage to and from the train. Do you think it would be advisable/safe to put car harnesses on the dogs and attach the harness with a short fabric lead to a corner of the crate? I think the trip will just be about 2 hours.

I would be a bit worried about leaving leads on them personally incase they got tangled up in them but on a short one like you say it might be alright, it would also be harder for them to chew their way out if they thought you weren't close by (w00t) I think I might worry about theft too, but I am a worrier :b

I haven't done it so I don't know really I would definatley be happier with a metal crate although they are a pain to carry :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
yes I think getting a crate for your pup is a good idea especially as you have young children. I had one for my little dog lucy when she was a pup. That was nearly twelve years ago now, ah bless, doesn't seem like it. I don't know where the time has gone! she was a brill pup never chewed a thing. Used to get her out all the time for playtimes and to relieve herself in the garden. It was her own private little place where she felt safe and I knew she was secure during the night or if I had to leave the house. As time passed I used it less and less until I knew she could be trusted not to chew anything or get into any other kind of mischief. I would definatley use one again if I ever get another pup.

I think it is a good idea getting a crate for several reasons, and i have seen several new ones on eBay UK very cheap.

I never used them until I got my first Whippet from breeder who kept her pups in crates at night, so she came already crate trained. She loved her crate and i could go out at any time, without first wasting time making sure there is nothing for her to damage herself on or to destroy. When she was 14 months old we went to live in Europe, and she survived the 35 hours journey without any problem. When i collected her at the airport, she was jus as if I only left her there for 10 minutes.

From that time i try to crate train all my dogs with varying degree of success. Genevieve screamed so much i could hear her as i was driving of and again as soon as I turned into our street (w00t) . I had to give up, but I kept the crate for her toys, and bones are only allowed in there. There is no need to crate her now, but I may want to do that when she is in seaso, or if she hurts herself and i will not want her to run around, and if she ever needs to fly somewhere... In busy households the crate is somewhere the dog can get away, his own little private place. :thumbsup:

OMG! Where would we be without crates! Got ours from ebay at a great price.All three of our pups treat the crate as their bedroom.I leave it open in day and catch them in there relaxing.They seem to really know that the crate is theirs.

Make sure u get one with metal bottom cause some with hard plastic bottom can split and of course u cannot get the bottom separate!

IMHO crates are fab

Macha said:
In Ireland we are required to crate our dogs on the train. Recently I made a few trips in N Ireland using a fabric crate. My two dogs shared the crate and they were quiet and well-behaved. But I was sitting near them all the time apart from a couple of short trips to the toilet.
On the train from Belfast to Dublin, it is likely that I will be told to put the crate in the guard car and that I will not be allowed to sit there myself. So I'm not sure whether my dogs will start pawing or biting at the crate. I really do not want to go back to dragging a heavy metal cage to and from the train. Do you think it would be advisable/safe to put car harnesses on the dogs and attach the harness with a short fabric lead to a corner of the crate? I think the trip will just be about 2 hours.

I didn't tie the dogs and they were fine, just slept. But I did worry and asked conductor for reports as they opened guard car to load newsppers, bicyles, etc at other stations.

When camping, etc, a crate is great for containing the dogs for short periods and leaving my hands free. Now at library, but a friend is walking the hounds.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back