The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crufts Judges

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Couldnt agree more Dawn , Why should we qualify to show at Crufts for some overseas judge to assess our dogs, when we have such a huge wealth of talent :- " of our own .

Most overseas judges havnt had the experiance of judging the volume of whippets that we get at Crufts , Many years ago i stewarded at a prestigoues (sp) Champ show and the classes had 20+ whippets in , The judge really need help ( they admited that ) into cutting the class down , they judged half the class then the other half , At the end of the day the job, IMO ,was well done :huggles: , but the judge admited being `over faced `to begin with .

Mark , thanks for those , but not many of us have to bother wether the `Group` judge suits . You naughty boy (w00t) :oops: :lol:

Well now, we are becoming nationalistic. Must be a consequence of the World Cup. We (the British) boast that Crufts is the biggest and best in the world far better than Westminster etc. so why should we not have foreign (non-British) judges. We have British judges here ie. Terry Thorn, Frank Kane, T. Nevercott. Zena Thorn Andrews ( apologies may not getting these names right) Portuguese, Slovanian, French, Italian, Australian, South African, US etc. and that is just thinking of whippets. I would like to see more British judges here. Globalization seems to have come to stay. And what about non British breeds such as the Australian Shepherd(??) a U.S. dog which won B.in S. at Crufts in 2006. I seem to remember that the first 3 dogs at 2006 Crufts were U.S. bred. Should the famous Swedish judge, the writer of various books, be precludud from judging at Crufts? Dog breeding and showing is becoming very international and if the U.K. is to keep its reputation she must go international. In whippets there are some important French, Italian and Scandanavian breeders. Some of these breeders have exported stock to the U.K. Should they be precluded from judging at Crufts? Hot water. Stephen

I see what you are getting at Stephen ,but the fact that [SIZE=14pt]our [/SIZE]judges go overseas to judge so often , obviously means we have the best here :- " :clown:

Just because an over seas dog wins dosnt mean we have to have overseas judges . Its only the SUPER best dogs that come here .

Im jsut talking about Whippets , I have no idea about other breeds :blink: , but we have so many judges from here who deserve to judge Crufts IMO . I dont think anyone would mind Bo judging ANY where :thumbsup:

[

Mark , thanks for those , but not many of us have to bother wether the `Group` judge suits . You naughty boy (w00t) :oops: :lol:

Naughty???

I dont know what you mean, :thumbsup:

Jax, you are probably right. We have British judges for most of the British breeds sometime or other. Crufts now must be an international show in spite of the problems foreign exhibitors have in taking their dogs to the U.K. and being an international show calls for some international (non British judges) Obviously the foreign judge would have to be adequately qualified. I would be interested in knowing the number of whippet registrations per year for the U.K., France including Benelux, Italy, U.S.A, Canada and Australia. I have read in the continental doggy press that the British, fearing foreign competition, have used the rabies scare as an excuse to keep foreign dogs from competing in the U-K. Would there be any correlation between the number of annual registration and the quality of judges?. I have often wondered how east european judges stack up compared with others. Have they had the same exposure? I thought the Slovanian judge we had last month in Madrid was good. Best of breed was a Portuguese owned Manoir de la Grenouillère dog.. Stephen

When we do have overseas judges officiate at UK show, the biggest problem i seem to recall is the amount of dogs they actually have to judge.

I dont think they are used to the volume of dogs in each class or breed. :- "

I never mind foreign judges but I would rather see an expierenced British judge at Crufts regardless of weather they liked my dogs or not.

We just a few years ago had two foreign judges at Crufts when Dee dee went BIS, They had a massive entry so it seems most people didnt mind.

As Jax says there are plenty of really good judges of long standing in England but I think the KC have trouble finding them or are a bit lead by the nose :- "

Karen said:
I never mind foreign judges but I would rather see an expierenced British judge at Crufts regardless of weather they liked my dogs or not. 
We just a few years ago had two foreign judges at Crufts when Dee dee went BIS, They had a massive entry so it seems most people didnt mind.

As Jax says there are plenty of really good judges of long standing in England but I think the KC have trouble finding them or are a bit lead by the nose :- "

Dont like to disagree with you Karen , :- " the bitch judge was foreign ( Dr Fisher I think ), but the dog judge was Marion Spavin ;) I remember cos they couldnt agree for B O B and they sent the dogs round and round the ring , There was no way the bitch judge would back down , and was heard to say that `as he was a breed judge he was sticking to his guns ` and arnt we pleased he did :cheers:

OK I get the idea. Crufts only allow overseas dogs of any breed because the have to. Judges dont come from overseas because they can? :- "

I can now see this getting out of hand. However if you wish to promote something on a World stage, then expect World opinion.

If a whippet judge anywhere in the World wants to judge in England then forget Crufts.

Yet again I have solved the problem. 8) Why not FRANCHISE Crufts. :)

Sell the rights to all countries & they can select who ever they want to the the judge. :thumbsup:

Have to charge the Yanks more. They would want at least 4 Crufts a year. :cheers: :cheers: :thumbsup:

Cartman said:
OK I get the idea. Crufts only allow overseas dogs of any breed because the have to. Judges dont come from overseas because they can? :- " I can now see this getting out of hand. However if you wish to promote something on a World stage, then expect World opinion.

If a whippet judge anywhere in the World wants to judge in England then forget Crufts.

Hooray !!! Hes got it at last . :cheers: Of course YOU could judge it Cartman :huggles:

Was the dog judge the year before from foreign parts?

JAX said:
Karen said:

Dont like to disagree with you Karen , :- " the bitch judge was foreign ( Dr Fisher I think ), but the dog judge was Marion Spavin ;) I remember cos they couldnt agree for B O B and they sent the dogs round and round the ring , There was no way the bitch judge would back down , and was heard to say that `as he was a breed judge he was sticking to his guns ` and arnt we pleased he did :cheers:

Also i beleive it wasnt his entry, it was Susan Baird's who was not well enough to fullfill her appointment :(

Correct Helen :cheers:

Yes Karen 2002 we had Espen Engh :wub: :oops: and Mr R Vuorinen

JAX said:
Correct Helen  :cheers:
Yes Karen          2002 we had Espen Engh  :wub:   :oops:   and Mr R Vuorinen

Oh yes that was the year, doesnt time fly!!!!!

Espen :wub: (oops smilie error :b )Engh and Mr R Vourinen

Morgan said:
Thanks Jax :huggles:   :thumbsup:
I am amazed that Dennis Meakin has not judged at Crufts. We were lucky to have him to judge our Whippet Club Champ Show in 1995 in New Zealand. Such experience and knowledge should be treasured, I just cannot understand the KC's thinking.

Sue

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back