The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crufts

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
There are none so blind as those who will not see :(

Welcome to the forum, Carl :) What breeds will you be rooting for? If I do go, it has to be on hounds & terriers day.
Thanks Judy, I don't mind, it's general doggy entertainment and learning for me

I've just been watching the junior agility, which was really impressive. Yes, several were slow and hesitant, but the dogs' attention was on their handlers, and if they hesitated, they looked to their handler for guidance. Though to be fair, it's not quite as entertaining as the many 'when lurcher agility goes wrong' vids I've seen :D

I never normally watch telly in the day, but Mr N says we have to fit in a rugby match as well :confused:

I've just been watching the junior agility, which was really impressive. Yes, several were slow and hesitant, but the dogs' attention was on their handlers, and if they hesitated, they looked to their handler for guidance. Though to be fair, it's not quite as entertaining as the many 'when lurcher agility goes wrong' vids I've seen :D

I never normally watch telly in the day, but Mr N says we have to fit in a rugby match as well :confused:
Quite agree. Have been watching both the rugby as well as Crufts. Enthralled by the youngsters’ rapport with their dogs.

Mabel showed her usual enthusiasm

132CBC4C-153D-43B9-BB4F-F1A6A280C926.jpeg

but the log burner was too much of a magnet.

Am I getting over critical now ?
Did anyone notice the Wire Haired terrier tonight that won the terrier classes.
It has a strange movement in it's back or back end when trotting in a straight line. Almost as if there was a twinge of pain somewhere. Maybe it was just the angle of the camera.

"Heelwork to music" tonight, just brilliant!!:D:rolleyes:

I didn't notice the wire-haired terrier's back end, excuseme, but I did see the awful conformation of the greyhound in the hound group. I can say that with some authority, as it's the same bitch who won the breed last year and Hemlock confirmed what I thought.

I was delighted to see the wolfhound win the group though :)

The commentator described the basset hound breed as athletic. Er, what? o_O

But aren’t ‘show’ greyhounds of slightly different structure from (dare I say) ‘normal’ greyhounds? Loved that Sloughi.

@JudyN you asked earlier about where I stayed. One of my friends is at Crufts now, in an Ibis hotel near the NEC. She is paying about £200 per night and there is no WiFi or even a kettle in her room.

I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure our three bedroom rental was around half that.

where does it end

That's a really good point. I think we are starting to see little wins in some breeds, like the people who are breeding less exaggerated features in bulldogs. And Moonpig has recently withdrawn greetings cards with pictures of pugs - although I believe that was because of pressure from PETA so that opens a whole other box of badgers ...

Re: Bassets - take a look at some hunting Bassets and compare them with show Bassets. Words like "shocking" "criminal" and "deformed" come to mind.

Does anyone know why the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is the only dog that is shown in a normal collar?

There is often quiet a difference between the "Working" type and "Show" type of many of our dogs.
The Show types are very pretty in most cases but many have some of their features over exaggerated which makes them "not fit for purpose", they are supposed to be "fit for purpose":eek:, so what a mess some of the breed clubs and Kennel Club have made :eek:.

Working types are perfectly "Functional" without being changed to look "just so" for the show bench.
As mentioned by @Hemlock the words; Shocking, criminal and deformed come to mind.

Reactions: RGC
Does anyone know why the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is the only dog that is shown in a normal collar?

I think it's just 'tradition' - the collars are often decorated with the Stafford knot.

I used to know a lovely Basset hound who was very lively and playful - she tried to play chase with Jasper. Which was hilarious, but on the other hand was sad as she was trapped inside a body that wouldn't do what her brain wanted to do.

I was rather distracted by the toy group judge's hairstyle... that must have taken a LOT of hairspray:confused: I was also distracted by Mr N complaining about the likes of the Maltese, Bichon and Havanese because they're not 'proper' dogs.

Yes, coiffure was somewhat striking. Earlier a woman holding a tiny dog was being interviewed by the young lady (commentator) in the wheelchair. What breed was that dog?

Yes, coiffure was somewhat striking. Earlier a woman holding a tiny dog was being interviewed by the young lady (commentator) in the wheelchair. What breed was that dog?

A Pomeranian, I think - a particularly small one. Missed opportunity for a warning about 'teacup' dogs?

I thought the dog seemed ´out of it’, didn’t appear to know what was going on. If we’re talking about the same dog it seemed to me like a small furry prop with a pulse. I’m not happy with designer type animals. Just put it down to grumpy intolerance, I’m sure they’re all loved to bits.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back