The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

SelinaK

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello,

Our dog has recently been diagnosed with meningoencephalitis and is on a high dose of steroids, epiphen and once every 4-5 weeks an IV dose of cytarabine which is administered at the vet hospital.

we know that this drug is toxic/carcinogenic however they have said it’s a low dose being used for his condition. My partner and I are in the middle of trying to conceive and I’m really worried about this drug even though we are taking all precautions. Apparently he’s only “toxic” for 2-3 days after receiving the cytarabine and then is not a risk anymore. As he is on steroids he has HUGE pees so gets urine on his paws, which he then walks into our house. How high a risk is this?

We cannot rehome him even temporarily (especially due to Covid) and he is part of the family. But we want to keep ourselves safe and also start a family. I wondered if anyone else has any experience or information on this? Thank you!

Welcome to the forum, and I hope your dog does well on his treatment. Is he likely to be on it in the long term, or just short term?

I have no idea what the answer to your question is, I'm afraid, but have you asked your vet and/or your doctor this specific question? I'm sure it wouldn't be prescribed if it is risky for the owners, but it's worth asking specifically about potential pregnancy.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope your dog does well on his treatment. Is he likely to be on it in the long term, or just short term?

I have no idea what the answer to your question is, I'm afraid, but have you asked your vet and/or your doctor this specific question? I'm sure it wouldn't be prescribed if it is risky for the owners, but it's worth asking specifically about potential pregnancy.
Thank you

Thank you Judy. The vets gave generic safety instructions but after reading more online I’m a bit more concerned. I am going to call them tomorrow and ask for further advice and how worried I should be. I will also speak to my GP (most likely after Christmas sadly!)

We don’t know how long the treatment will be - could be up to a year but it completely depends on how he progresses.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back