The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Decision whether to get a puppy

samm1ep

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating getting a French Bulldog puppy, but would like some advice. Myself and my partner (no children) both work, although I work 4 days a week (not Fridays) and my partner works just around the corner from our house so he is at home every lunchtime. Is it acceptable to leave a puppy/dog during the day whilst we are out at work? I would be able to leave the dog with a family member for at least 1 day a week, so that means the dog would be alone for 3 days a week for about 8 hours a day (although my partner will be home for an hour in the middle of that).

Also, we have had an indoor cat for the last 4 years, which I plan to introduce to the puppy slowly as I really want them to be able to tolerate each other. I've read conflicting information on the internet as to whether Frenchies get on ok with cats. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences of this?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, and welcome to Dog Forum :)

Dogs take up a lot more of your time than cats, and puppies take up a lot more time than adult dogs, so thank you for asking all of these questions and making sure that you're ready before actually getting a puppy. So many people take on a pup with an assumption that everything will be OK but without real confidence.

If you can have a bulletproof plan that includes time for a walk before leaving for work, time for a break during the day and space in your life for walks/play in the evening, then those are the first big questions for me when people ask whether they are ready for a puppy.

The other questions that I tend to ask people who are not already dog owners to see whether they've thought about things are:

What happens at holiday time? (there's no single right answer here- the key is that you have a plan)

How about when the weather is bad and you don't want to go out?

Do you have a plan for how your little one is going to travel safely in your car?

Whose job is it to get up at dark o'clock when the puppy has diarrhoea and there's a smelly mess all over the bedroom?

Are you sufficiently non-material to cope with things that you care about being chewed, peed on or puked on?

Are your finances healthy enough that preventative healthcare like neutering, flea and worm treatments and good food, combined with insurance premiums, excess payments and beds/toys etc, are all going to be predictably affordable? Insurance premiums don't cover all sorts of things, like vaccinations, neutering, anything to do with pregnancy, dental work and EVERYTHING they do cover has an excess on it. This means that every chronic condition will also have an excess attached to it, and Frenchies are not the healthiest of dogs so unless you want your salary paying straight to your vet, you do need insurance.

If you've considered all of the above, then that's great and means that you may be ready for a puppy :)

As for your cat, you know your cat better than other people as to whether your cat will freak and hide in the wardrobe for months with another live creature in the house or whether your cat will hiss for a couple of days and then realise that there's a new playmate in the house. As for a puppy, they will start off with pretty much no knowledge and instincts to chase a cat, and you will help them as they grow to understand house rules, so there is every likelihood that you could bring up a dog that is friendly with your cat. What you may not be ready for is that all bets will be off when it comes to your cat outside or any other cat whilst out on walks, but that's normal, to be honest.

I know someone who has an ex racing greyhound successfully in a home with cats, ferrets and guinea pigs, so it can be done. It is also tested/screwed up/fixed again by the animals in pretty much every mixed species home that exists. My GSD is a kitten rearing shepherd who sleeps in bed in a big pile with 3 of my cats, but who really doesn't get on with the 4th. I can't explain it, but it's a fact and we have to manage their behaviours towards each other in order that neither get hurt (mostly so that the cat doesn't take Molly's nose off!).

Molly will also whine, scream, bark and act like a hell hound to try to get at cats while we're out, and would chase them if she had the chance, but that's mostly because the cats normally run away (if they don't run, she goes to say hello but doesn't chase, and in any case she has never hurt any small animal).

Introduction is something you'll manage with time and a willing mog :)

If you do decide to get a puppy, please PLEASE make sure that you get your pup from a responsible breeder who is breeding with health and temperament of both parents and pups in mind. It will cost you more than getting a pup from a back yard breeder, but that will repay itself in lower vet fees and lower pain for your puppy from the sort of inbreeding problems that Frenchies have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't have put it better myself. The fact that you work all day will raise flags with good breeders, but if you go to them with a plan in place, it will show them the commitment you are willing to make and the thought you have put into it. There are many breeders (and most rescues) who won't sell to a home where both work full time. I think that's a bit unfair, and personally would base my decisions as a breeder on the individual situation. Were I in a position and had the breed that you are looking for, I would appreciate the thought you've already put in and see what we could do to work together to make it work if we both felt it right. I do hope you find a good breeder who will consider your situation.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back