The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Desert Island ...

FifeJillandIan

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What's your favourite book, film and music?

Mine are:

book - Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

film - Benny and Joon

music - Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left

There are so many others I love in each category but those are my picks for tonight!

So, what book, film and CD /record would you recommend?

:) :) :) :) :)

fave book - to kill a mockingbird by harper lee

fave film - rebecca or the green mile cant decide!

fave music - tainted love marilyn manson

fave music video - as above

this is really hard.cos if you said fave horror film, fave comedy ,fave drama etc id have a different one for each category

Oooh ... like your choices. I first read The Green Mile when it was released as a serialised novel - couldn't wait for the next installment each time! It made a great film too. You're right though - it's too hard to come up with one favourite for each category.

Another great film (and short story) is the Shawshank Redemption.

fav book-----sense and sensabilty

fav film-------pretty women

fav music-----wet wet wet

fav musci video---?cant think of any ?

:thumbsup:

FifeJillandIan said:
Oooh ... like your choices.  I first read The Green Mile when it was released as a serialised novel - couldn't wait for the next installment each time!  It made a great film too.  You're right though - it's too hard to come up with one favourite for each category. 
Another great film (and short story) is the Shawshank Redemption.

yes that would have been a close one too.i love all stephen kings books though some havent translated well to the screen.'the stand' was one of his best books but the serialised film they made was rubbish.pet sematary was another,though it was better than the stand.i think 'salems lot' was one of the best translated to the small screen

fav book:Death by Design: The True Story of the Glasgow Necropolis.

By Ronnie Scott.

fav film: Vita è bella, La

fav music: Such Great Heights by Postal Service

fav music video:

Such Great Heights by Postal Service

Last edited by a moderator:
kris said:
yes that would have been a close one too.i love  all stephen kings books though some havent translated well to the screen.'the stand' was one of his best books but the serialised film they made was rubbish.pet sematary was another,though it was better than the stand.i think 'salems lot' was one of the best translated to the small screen
I'm reading his new book now - Duma Key - so far so good :thumbsup: I've only read the first few chapters and he must have published it previously as a short story as I had read the first couple of chapters before. I'm now on to a bit I haven't read before though so I'm looking forward to getting into it.

I love his books but the only ones I've watched as films are the Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. I think The Shining is a great book and I would love to be able to watch the film with whats-his-name as I'm sure he's great in it but I've tried to watch it a couple of times and can only get as far as the wee boy riding his trike down the hotel corridor - then I panic and I'm reaching for the doofer to switch off as soon as possible! :eek:

The Stand is one of my favourite books too - and I think Pet Semetary is one of his creepiest books. Have you read the Dark Tower books? I think they're great too. As you can see ... I'm definitely one of his 'constant readers'

The barrister said:
fav book:Death by Design: The True Story of the Glasgow Necropolis.By Ronnie Scott.

fav music:  Such Great Heights by  Postal Service

fav music video:

Such Great Heights by  Postal Service

Oooh ... these are all new to me ... maybe I'll try them out sometime soon :thumbsup:

fav book-----From books i've read lately 'Practically Perfect'

fav film-------this is a question I can never answer with just one! my taste is too varied when it comes to films, erm... Snow Cake, Don't Look Now, The Hours, Away from HerThe Notebook, The Others, The Shining, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, The Incredible Journey, Lassie Come Home, Jaws, The Birds, Psycho and one that always makes me cry The Elephant Man (oh and disney films too!) Sorry I don't have just one :p I have about 115 dvd in my collection and I like them all!

fav music-----Sarah Brightman. Also like Kate Bush and Katie Melua

More great films:

Chocolat

Singin' in the rain

The Bishops Wife (the one with Cary Grant and David Niven)

and books:

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Beloved - Toni Morrison

Book- anything by Jilly Cooper, she has me in tears laughing!

(I don't sound as intelliegent as you lot having chosen a bonkbuster!) :) :)

Film- Gone with the Wind

Music- Kate Bush or Heather Nova

FifeJillandIan said:
kris said:
yes that would have been a close one too.i love  all stephen kings books though some havent translated well to the screen.'the stand' was one of his best books but the serialised film they made was rubbish.pet sematary was another,though it was better than the stand.i think 'salems lot' was one of the best translated to the small screen
I'm reading his new book now - Duma Key - so far so good :thumbsup: I've only read the first few chapters and he must have published it previously as a short story as I had read the first couple of chapters before. I'm now on to a bit I haven't read before though so I'm looking forward to getting into it.

I love his books but the only ones I've watched as films are the Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. I think The Shining is a great book and I would love to be able to watch the film with whats-his-name as I'm sure he's great in it but I've tried to watch it a couple of times and can only get as far as the wee boy riding his trike down the hotel corridor - then I panic and I'm reaching for the doofer to switch off as soon as possible! :eek:

The Stand is one of my favourite books too - and I think Pet Semetary is one of his creepiest books. Have you read the Dark Tower books? I think they're great too. As you can see ... I'm definitely one of his 'constant readers'

oooooh i love the shining with jack(heeeeeeres johnny!)nicholson (w00t) that would rate as one of my fave films (horror section)

ive got the dark tower books upstairs but i started to read one found it hard going and never went back to it, its still upstairs.(this is beginning to turn into a stehen king thread!youll have to let me know what the 'duma key' is like? :thumbsup:

Sarah86 said:
fav book-----From books i've read lately 'Practically Perfect'
fav film-------this is a question I can never answer with just one! my taste is too varied when it comes to films,  erm... Snow Cake, Don't Look Now, The Hours, Away from HerThe Notebook, The Others, The Shining, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, The Incredible Journey, Lassie Come Home, Jaws, The Birds, Psycho and one that always makes me cry The Elephant Man (oh and disney films too!)  Sorry I don't have just one  :p   I have about 115 dvd in my collection and I like them all!

fav music-----Sarah Brightman.  Also like Kate Bush and Katie Melua

haven't heard of practically perfect either - this is good, i'm getting ideas for what to read when i finish Duma Key! I haven't seen One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest (same guy as in the shining isn't it - i can't believe i can't remember his name!) but read it quite recently - it's so sad isn't it. :(

Ooh, I just remembered another Stephen King short story that I managed to watch the film of - Secret Window, Secret Garden (it's a good short story but only an ok film but is made much better since Johnny Depp plays the main character :D )

kitty1972 said:
Book- anything by Jilly Cooper, she has me in tears laughing!(I don't sound as intelliegent as you lot having chosen a bonkbuster!)  :)   :)

Film- Gone with the Wind

Music- Kate Bush or Heather Nova

Kate Bush is amazing. Haven't heard of Heather Nova - what sort of music does she do?

one flew over the cuckoos nest is a brilliant film, and it is very sad :( yes, its Jack Nicholson that in it.

Practically perfect is a nice romantic novel, and has my ideal man in it, he owns and loves greyhounds :p

Fave book: hard to choose just one cos I LOVE reading but if pushed it would have to be Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

Fave film: My Fair Lady - Audrey Hepburn (in fact any Audrey Hepburn film)

Music: Probably Rain Dogs by Tom Waits or something by Cab Calloway

kris said:
oooooh i love the shining with jack(heeeeeeres johnny!)nicholson (w00t) that would rate as one of my fave films (horror section)ive got the dark tower books upstairs but i started to read one found it hard going and never went back to it, its still upstairs.(this is beginning to turn into a stehen king thread!youll have to let me know what the 'duma key' is like? :thumbsup:

Thank you, thank you, thank you - Jack Nicholson - of course :D Now I'll be able to sleep tonight :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about the dark tower - I really struggled with the first one - it ain't great! I think it was written a lot earlier than all the others in the series. I started it, couldn't get into it and put it down. then, much later when I had nothing to read and was feeling desperate I went back to it and finished it. All the others are absolutely brilliant so i would strongly recommend battling your way through number one - when you get to the others it is sooooo worth it - they are fantastic.

FifeJillandIan said:
The barrister said:
fav book:Death by Design: The True Story of the Glasgow Necropolis.By Ronnie Scott.

fav music:  Such Great Heights by  Postal Service

fav music video:

Such Great Heights by  Postal Service

Oooh ... these are all new to me ... maybe I'll try them out sometime soon :thumbsup:

for the film may i advise a few tissues. ;)

suvi said:
Fave book: hard to choose just one cos I LOVE reading but if pushed it would have to be Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.
Fave film: My Fair Lady - Audrey Hepburn (in fact any Audrey Hepburn film)

Music: Probably Rain Dogs by Tom Waits or something by Cab Calloway

Aw, lovely choices for book and film. :) I have to admit I've never heard your music choices - must give them a go. :cheers:

Jill

x

The barrister said:
for the film may i advise a few tissues. ;)
even better - you can't beat a good cry - good for the soul :'(

I've just thought of another film I love - Hero - beautiful to look at

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back