The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Desperate help needed please

steff77.

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi so I have 2 dogs a 7 yr old Bichon and a 8 month old yorkie poo both male. On Tuesday they went to the groomers they have been before but this time the youngest had a full groom like all of his fur gone! From the minute we got in the car until at the time of writing this the youngest will not stop humping the eldest it’s constant! He’s then excessively licking him, crying if he can’t get to him. He’s never been like this before and just won’t stop! Groomers rebathed them as thought it could be smell didn’t work! Took him too the vets, he said he had never seen a case like it we talked about castration etc. has anyone ever come across this before? I have to keep separating them now but it’s getting so stressful! Thank you in advance.

It would be worth taking your Bichon for a vet check too - sometimes illnesses in dogs can make them smell different, and that could trigger the humping in your Yorkie.

Did the groomer use any products when they rebathed them? Something that smells innocuous to us could smell very different to a dog - washing them again in just water and nothing else might help.

Please don't just rush into castration. If your two have always managed without any problems , then it could be a reaction to something that maybe happened at the groomers or as JudyN has mentioned maybe one of the products used on them could be having an effect.
Castration is not always a good fix.
A thorough wash with just water and nothing else, NO products at all may be a remedy and worth a try before anything as drastic as castration. Please wait a few weeks after a water only bath for both dogs before making any such decisions.

Maybe there had been a female dog at the groomers who was coming into season or just finishing a season, and that could be why she was at the groomers being cleaned up. This can often get the boys hormones reacting !

Everytime I washed my dogs my youngest was like this and would hump my other dogs and anything.
I realised it was the new shampoo bar I bought it was the smell making him act this way, maybe something they've washed them with?

Thank you for all your replies. So the groomers did wash them again in unscented shampoo but maybe I will try the water thing at home. When we went to the vets he Bear the youngest, does have 1 testicle not dropped so it says at 8 nearly 9 months this should have happened so for his health castration will have to occur at some point. Teddy the eldest he has been done he’s been so patient bless him. It’s just so weird how it came about. Bear also could have Hip dysplasia to poor baby.

So quick update!! Don’t want to speak to soon but today has been better much calmer and they’ve been able to spend nearly all day together with minimal humping. Just want to thank everyone for your comments. I’ve been so upset all week as I just didn’t know how to help me because as Tinytom said about stress that’s how he seemed panting non stop crying just anxious to get to Teddy.

That's good news :) I'd ask whether the groomer can just bathe them using plain water in future, or at least use unscented shampoo. It'll be interesting to see what he's like the next time he goes there.

I would ask to stay and be present at the groomers or try and find a mobile groomers ....

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back