The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dew Claws....can Any One Help?

cairo

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi everyone...well oscar will be 6 months old in november and will be going to a show!!!!

Should be a laugh as he never stands still and we have just 6 weeks to try and train him.Any way,enough of that...does anyone know if you can show a dog with dew claws?

Oscar still has his and i`m unsure about this

any help gratefully recieved.

Yes you can show a dog with dewclaws.It is not a fault.

Oliver has still got his,he has got 1st in minor puppy at a Championship show(which qualified him for Crufts 2009) also he has got a best of breed,reserve best of breed and been placed in Hounds Groups.

It is best to have them removed at around three days old.It gives a cleaner look on the leg and also theres a risk they can catch them when out running about or whatever and can be very painful when rip off.

You can have them removed when the dog is older,but its a more bigger operation for them.

I hope i,ve explained it ok :wacko: :wacko:

Hello Cairo...yep,you can show a dog with dew-claws,a lot of the dogs on the Continent don't have theirs removed,so if you import you have the claws remaining. He won't be penalised for it...well let's just say it would be a very poor judge who would imo.

Good luck to you and Oscar for your 1st show :thumbsup: :luck:

Edited to say...Oops posted the same time as Daledogs,so have just repeated what she has said really :b

Last edited by a moderator:
daledogs said:
Yes you can show a dog with dewclaws.It is not a fault.Oliver has still got his,he has got 1st in minor puppy at a Championship show(which qualified him for Crufts 2009) also he has got a best of breed,reserve best of breed and been placed in Hounds Groups.

It is best to have them removed at around three days old.It gives a cleaner look on the leg and also theres a risk they can catch them when out running about or whatever and can be very painful when rip off.

You can have them removed when the dog is older,but its a more bigger operation for them.

I hope  i,ve explained it ok :wacko:   :wacko:

oh thank you....don`t suppose you hav any advice on how to get him to stand till as well???

05whippet said:
Hello Cairo...yep,you can show a dog with dew-claws,a lot of the dogs on the Continent don't have theirs removed,s if you import you ahve the claws remaining. He won't be penalised for it...well let's just say it would be a very poor judge wh would imo.
Good luck to you and Oscar for your 1st show  :thumbsup:   :luck:

Thanks....any advice on how to turn hyper whippet pup into show dog in just 6 weeks!!!!

cairo said:
05whippet said:
Hello Cairo...yep,you can show a dog with dew-claws,a lot of the dogs on the Continent don't have theirs removed,s if you import you ahve the claws remaining. He won't be penalised for it...well let's just say it would be a very poor judge wh would imo.

Thanks....any advice on how to turn hyper whippet pup into show dog in just 6 weeks!!!!

Yep...find a really good local ringcraft class & then practice,practice,practice!!! :thumbsup:

05whippet said:
cairo said:
05whippet said:

Yep...find a really good local ringcraft class & then practice,practice,practice!!! :thumbsup:

Exactly :thumbsup: Alot of breeders who show,usually start them quite early.stacking them on the table etc,but not too much as they are only young,then its up to you to carry on with the training :thumbsup: Doing a little bit each day(as they get bored with it)

But even if they been trained,they can still play up if they want to :lol:

I pick my pups up and stand them on a table several times a day and try to stack them. Only for few seconds each time, at first to teach them to relax; you cannot stack up a pup if it is fighting you. Once they are relaxed and let you move their legs etc. I stand them for few seconds, gradually increasing the time I expect them to stand. Sometimes I use bait, sometime not. It does not take long to have them standing as I want them..... Then I take them to a show and they decide to forget all that training and play up. :)

Ringcraft classes are very beneficial to get the pup used to the whole shebang, other dogs, going around standing on the table, and being examined by a total stranger.

Best of luck :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck also from us :luck:

Yes in germany it is forbitten to take the dew claws off. If you do it you can have big troubles with the official vet and also when the check them at the shows.

But okay, we can not do anything.

so all the best

Susanne and the whipcats

Best of luck at your first outing. Just have him on the table for 5 or 10 minutes each day - but make it fun, I'd rather have him hyper at this stage than bored out of his brain by it all :teehee:

And on dewclaws, at Isilwane I have never removed them from Ridgebacks (24 years) nor the Whippets once they arrived. We have few hundred acres of fairly rugged terrain and even with the lengthy "expeditions" some of the Whippets go on (no names ELECTRA & ZEST :rant: ) we have never lost a dew claw - we have had stop pads sliced through and pads well and truly worn or cut but not dewclaws.

But none of our dogs have ever been faulted in the ring for having them and that includes a RUBISS, Specialty class wins and multiple group placements. I think I've only once or twice even had a judge comment.

Lisa

Isilwane

Isilwane said:
Best of luck at your first outing.  Just have him on the table for 5 or 10 minutes each day - but make it fun, I'd rather have him hyper at this stage than bored out of his brain by it all :teehee:
And on dewclaws, at Isilwane I have never removed them from Ridgebacks (24 years) nor the Whippets once they arrived.  We have few hundred acres of fairly rugged terrain and even with the lengthy "expeditions" some of the Whippets go on (no names ELECTRA & ZEST :rant: ) we have never lost a dew claw - we have had stop pads sliced through and pads well and truly worn or cut but not dewclaws.

But none of our dogs have ever been faulted in the ring for having them and that includes a RUBISS, Specialty class wins and multiple group placements.  I think I've only once or twice even had a judge comment.

Thanks for advice..and good to hear that yours have had no problems as i was beginning to think that maybe it was a bad thing that he still has his.

Lisa

Isilwane

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back