The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dew Claws

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My vets come out to the house and give Mum and all of the pups a complete check up, and they remove their dew claws then at £7.00 each pup .........The puppies have their dew claws removed after having a numbing gel put on the joint (just in case :b ) and then the wound is sealed correctly afterwards .......I personally much prefer my vets to do this as they have the resorces there if anything was to go wrong ..........but this is just my personal opinion :thumbsup: .......

My vet told me £8 per pup then charged me £44 to check mum over and to take the dew claws of 8 pups 20 months ago :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
well judging by your replies i recon my vet is taking the p :rant: :rant: s !!!!!!

mark has kindly agreed to do them for me .. wen they are born that is :- "

I've had a pm from a member warning that they think Dew Claw removal by a non-vet may have become illegal with the Animal Welfare act.

If so it would probably be a good idea to remove references to individuals who do this?

Can anyone enlighten further if it is illegal. I didn't think it was yet.

If it is then I will be removing (for your own safety) the references to individuals who aren't vets who are willing to do it.

If anyone can confirm one way or the other it would be really appreciated.

If anyone decides in light of the potential that they want their post/name removed please PM me and I'll do it for you.

Wendy

:oops: ive no idea .. may be a good move to remove names just in case ?

unless anyone says its isnt illegal that is ????

I spoke to my vet a few months ago regarding the new animal welfare bill and dew claw.

He assured me that it is still legal for a non vet to remove dew claws as long as they are a compitant person to do so and as long as no money changes hands.

He even offord to write me a letter stating that in his opinion I was a compitant person to carry out the procedure.

IMO a compitent person makes a far better job of than the vets do!! We took 50p to the vets to have his removed as wewanted him checking over too. We had a real battle on our hands getting the vet to do this 'barbaric procedure' he said he didnt like cutting bits off puppies!

Anyway we did get him to do it and IMO he took far longer and pratted about cortorising and bandaging them afterwards!

The last 2 litters were not done at the vets and the procedure was over and done with in a few moments not a sound to be heard!

dawn said:
IMO a compitent person makes a far better job of than the vets do!! We took 50p to the vets to have his removed as wewanted him checking over too.  We had a real battle on our hands getting the vet to do this 'barbaric procedure' he said he didnt like cutting bits off puppies!Anyway we did get him to do it and IMO he took far longer and pratted about cortorising and bandaging them afterwards!

The last 2 litters were not done at the vets and the procedure was over and done with in a few moments not a sound to be heard!

Just for clarity is was NOT our usual vet who prevaricated but one of his assistants - Ian was out on-call at the time.

OK - have heard back from the person who was querying it and she has found that it IS still LEGAL for laypersons to take off dew claws as long as puppies' eyes aren't open and since we're all talking about 2-3 day old pups converse away :D If you'd still like a name removed I'll do it, but I don't think it's necessary now. Was just trying to be cautious on everyone's behalf. Thanks for understanding. Just didn't want to get anyone in trouble.

Dawn I agree, that someone who does it on a regular basis of course is going to make a much better job of it than someone who does it once every year or two :D

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid five pounds each,with the 35pound consultation fee on top,we were really pleased with the job our vet did,and they didn't bleed at all.

We thought it was very reasonable at the time.

They've probably put a high price to put you off having it done,but with running/working breeds,it just has to be done.

Jenny

just wanted to bump this up to sing marks praises :- "

he came over mon to do the dew claws , very quick with no noise from the pups and straight back in the bed with mum :thumbsup:

no hassle , no pain , no problem :thumbsup:

thanks mark :D

just wanted to bump this up to sing marks praises
i'm all embarresed now :b

your more than welcome, sorry we couldnt stay longer but we had loads to do after being away for the weekend.

keep us updated on the pups :thumbsup:

I do my own dewclaws with non-doggy, staunch hubby holding the babies :( Have to say, that I rely on the non-doggy, staunch hubby to talk up my technique & get me thru it :lol: Babies often don't even make a squeal, tis the human mother who needs that glass of wine after to calm the nerves :b

When I was first taught by great ambasador's of our breed how to do it, I nearly passed out :x - I am the girl who can rescue everyone else's kids but when it comes to my own who are hurt - I am hopeless.... needless to say I can do dewclaws on everyone else litters with my chest puffed out...

However... it is no where near as hideous as some try to make out. The bitches rarely complain or notice the dewclaws gone - the sooky babies may say "yeouch" for a millisecond, the toughnuts sleep thru it.... the end result benefits far outweigh those who believe it better to keep em on & experience excrutiating pain as an older animal should they have the misfortune to pull a dewclaw when hunting or having general fun with life experiences.

I do my own babies dew claws. Have only had one litter of whippet babies so have only done it that one time, and yep took me all night to do 3 pups!!! All night to pluck up the courage to cut!!! :eek: But once I had cut there wasnt even a squeak!!! and not much bloodloss at all, just a snip hold leg with a bit of pressure then added some Gelatine to clot the blood, they would open their mouth for a second then just head straight back into the milkbar!!

I have decided though next time I will do them within 24 hrs of being born, and not a couple of days old.

i thought i wouls have to take jan out of the room and hide somewhere out of earshot (w00t)

i was never in any doubt i would have them done but was feeling a little nervous :b

it literally took seconds and that was it (w00t)

all back with mum at the milk bar (w00t)

I took my babies to the vet for theirs today. ~ 18 AUD each.

New young vet. Told me it was the first whippet pups he had ever seen, actually the first whippet he had ever seen. Warning bells should have rung I guess.

I always take my bitch away - just in case the pups do cry and she gets agitated. I popped my head in a couple of times to see if they were done and pups were screaming.

Vet nurse (and long-time friend) walked me outside with pups when they were done. She told me the vet said he never wanted to have to do that again. She told him as the procedure was happening, there are lots of things in this life we wish we didn't have to do, but that need to be done, and he should just be quick and clean about it and put them back in with the rest of the pack and they would soon forget all about it.

They all have a stitch in each foot.

My old vet, owner of the practice, doesn't work there anymore, but when he did dew claws for me, hardly a sound, never a stitch and he never missed any bits.

I'm finding that almost all young vets are saying it's a barbaric practice. But I'll bet my bottom dollar they've never had to attend to a ripped dew claw on an adult dog.

I wish I knew how to do it and had the confidence to do it - rather than put my pups in the hands of young whippersnappers who don't know what they're doing and/or don't want to do it. I also wish that he had have voiced his concerns directly to me and I would have turned around and taken them elsewhere, or waited until the senior vet was on duty.

saraquele said:
any info greatly appreciated  :thumbsup:
ive been in touch with my vet re dew claw removal in puppies.

ive been quoted £22.50 per puppy  :blink:

if this is the "going rate" then fair enough but it seems a lot of money for a simple procedure ???

does this seem a fair price to you ?

(i am talking 2/3 day old pups )

Hi All,

When I got my litter of slugs just 2 weeks ago, I spoke to my daughter who happens to be a Vet Nurse. I wanted to borrow her curved scissers. She informed me that the vets she works for refuses to take them off as they call it cosmetic surjury. What a load of old so and so's, They must have seen many racing dogs that have had their dew claws ripped off and half the skin on the leg after putting the brakes on at full speed. I know I have and so I removed my own.This was when I was doing more racing than anything. She tells me it may become unlawfull for a vet to do this proceedure in the near future. Like the tail docking will the show scene accept dogs with dew claws on. I always have a jar of Permangamate of Potash handy and this is great to steralise and stop what little blood there is.

I think what these vets are trying to do is ask very high prices in a view of trying to put you off getting them done or going elsewhere. That I would do Go else where.

Mike

A stitich each one (w00t) Never heard they needed that , Poor you Lana having such incompetent Vets out there , first your mums `error` :rant: and now this , I cant belive hed find they skin to put a stitch in myself .

As long as hes done a good clean job of it :luck:

aslan said:
I took my babies to the vet for theirs today.  ~ 18 AUD each.
New young vet.  Told me it was the first whippet pups he had  ever seen, actually the first whippet he had ever seen.  Warning bells should have rung I guess.

I always take my bitch away - just in case the pups do cry and she gets agitated.  I popped my head in a couple of times to see if they were done and pups were screaming.

Vet nurse (and long-time friend) walked me outside with pups when they were done.  She told me the vet said he never wanted to have to do that again.  She told him as the procedure was happening, there are lots of things in this life we wish we didn't have to do, but that need to be done, and he should just be quick and clean about it and put them back in with the rest of the pack and they would soon forget all about it.

They all have a stitch in each foot.

My old vet, owner of the practice, doesn't work there anymore, but when he did dew claws for me, hardly a sound, never a stitch and he never missed any bits.

I'm finding that almost all young vets are saying it's a barbaric practice.  But I'll bet my bottom dollar they've never had to attend to a ripped dew claw on an adult dog.

I wish I knew how to do it and had the confidence to do it - rather than put my pups in the hands of young whippersnappers who don't know what they're doing and/or don't want to do it.  I also wish that he had have voiced his concerns directly to me and I would have turned around and taken them elsewhere, or waited until the senior vet was on duty.

SO SORRY YOU HAD TO GO THROUGH ALL OF THAT :(

IM SURE THE BABIES FORGOT ALL ABOUT IT BY NOW BUT IT WILL TAKE YOU LONGER :huggles:

HOPE ALL GOES OK :luck:

geeze Lana I hope your pups will be OK, he just have taken alot off it they need stitches :(

I had my first litter done by a vet $7 per pup. the second litter done by an experienced vet nurse who came to my house & didn't charge a thing. Only problem was she told me to leave her a clean towel & then go take Penny (the mum) for a walk. I wandered off with Penny for 20 mins or so, when I got back all the pups were sound asleep but she left the towel there with 24 itsy bitsy little whippet 'thumbs' on it :x ewwwwww

Linda

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back