The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Diet Using Cooked Meat And Veg - Website/info?

bronya

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm getting a new puppy soon. Husband is a butcher so meat is in plentiful supply but don't really want to go down the barf route as we get the stuff that's about to go off (for free so not complaining!). Have managed to find out that cooking destroys the amino acid taurine but would really like to find out what we could feed and how to get supplements to go with it to replace nutrients lost. It seems silly to pay lots for dog food when meat is free!

Looked in FAQ but couldn't find anything...

bronya said:
I'm getting a new puppy soon.  Husband is a butcher so meat is in plentiful supply but don't really want to go down the barf route as we get the stuff that's about to go off (for free so not complaining!).  Have managed to find out that cooking destroys the amino acid taurine but would really like to find out what we could feed and how to get supplements to go with it to replace nutrients lost.  It seems silly to pay lots for dog food when meat is free!
Looked in FAQ but couldn't find anything...

if its about to go off cooking will not make it right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems fine for us when we cook it - not off but the stuff that's about to - so won't be any good the next day (we eat it the night we get it) if that makes any sense!

if its fine cooked it will be even better raw for the dogs, get your OH to run any trim or meat he has through mincer and bag it into daily portions and freeze it take out a bag as you need it, wish my wife was a butcher a dream come true (w00t)

I give my dogs rum steak ,,yep bloody mad but they love it. They raced at the time

They got chuncks of rump boiled for about 2 hrs, with pasta, carrott,peas and brown bread,,I used the stock from the meat to soak the food and fed it warm

If you get mince beef,,just brown it off, with the fat produced in the pan,,let it soak the bread up,,,like above.

Chicken,,boil it, make sure no bones are used, add veg, pasta and brown bread,,,use the stock from the chicken.

My lot when raced loved this diet, they won opens and champ races,,,no need to add vit's etc,,mine never needed them.

My mother used to say the dogs were better fed than her :lol: :lol:

My dogs never got pork or lamb.

Hope this gives you a few ideas,,,make a stew up for them and you :cheers:

My boys are getting the chicken and mince as above just now,,cant afford the rump now, but they just pets now.

Susan said:
I give my dogs rum steak ,,yep bloody mad but they love it. They raced at the time
They got chuncks of rump boiled for about 2 hrs, with pasta, carrott,peas and brown bread,,I used the stock from the meat to soak the food and fed it warm

If you get mince beef,,just brown it off, with the fat produced in the pan,,let it soak the bread up,,,like above.

Chicken,,boil it, make sure no bones are used, add veg, pasta and brown bread,,,use the stock from the chicken.

My lot when raced loved this diet, they won opens and champ races,,,no need to add vit's etc,,mine never needed them.

My mother used to say the dogs were better fed than her  :lol:   :lol:

Hope this gives you a few ideas,,,make a stew up for them and you  :cheers:

My boys are getting the chicken and mince as above just now,,cant afford the rump now, but they just pets now.

My friend with the greyhounds feeds a very similar diet to yours Susan,,,

sounds really good to me... :thumbsup:

Janimal said:
Susan said:

My mother used to say the dogs were better fed than her   :lol:   :lol:

Hope this gives you a few ideas,,,make a stew up for them and you  :cheers:

My friend with the greyhounds feeds a very similar diet to yours Susan,,,

sounds really good to me... :thumbsup:

Ive fed the boys this way for about 20yrs. Some eat veg, others dont. I do like to add a good racing food if they eat it, like Ricky, he would eat anything, Robbie is fussy.

I feed the boys 2 times a day also, with treats in between.

Bronya has not been back on since their post,,,hope they do come back and see a dog can race, play,sleep in a good died like my boys have :cheers:

Thank you for those who posted with helpful advice (and to the person who PM'd me). It was exactly what I was looking for! I do vaguely remember feeding my childhood dog on leftover meat, plenty of veg, some mixer and a little canned dog food when there wasn't any meat left over. She was extremely healthy and lived to a ripe old age, whereas my parents' current dog has dried food and has aged much earlier. My original idea was to cook extra of the meat and veg we eat, then add mixer to that, but I did of course want to be sure this would be good for her!

I love the idea of no pork though - I hate the stuff and my husband will insist on bringing it home. Now I'll be able to say he can't 'cause it would be bad for the dog!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back