The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Differences?

belovedfool

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Please do excuse my ignorance here, but..!

I just wondered what the main differences were between whippets and italian greyhounds? We've had a handful of people now recommend the whippet to us (we're first time dog owners), but whilst I've heard of the IG I'm not sure really what the differences are... are italian's smaller? Because a small dog would be ideal, for our small flat!

Thanks, its proving hard enough to find books on whippets never mind italian greyhounds!

Welllll, here we go.. me the 'expert' after 7 months of being owned by an Italian Greyhound.

From my understanding IG are true miniature Greyhounds whereas the Whippet has been created from a mix of Greyhound, IG and others (now I start to fall short). From what I know and hear, IG are a little less "interesting" than whippies. (read less counter surfing and general destruction).

My IG girl is surprisingly bold and robust, very safe in a basically 'no-dog' house.

So far, my little darling has only destroyed a couple of plants, but that was after a neighbour's Labrador gave her instruction!

Iggies are meant to stop at about 15", no no discernable odor and are bluddy perfect. I love my girl Rue. It must be fifteen years since I've had a canine housemate and I reckon Iggies RULE. As you will realise, I am no longer a fair and unbiased person. Julie

belovedfool said:
its proving hard enough to find books on whippets never mind italian greyhounds!
I cant recommend highly enough buying a book specifically about whippets rather than just dogs in general & I found several good titles On Amazon.

Oh thanks a lot those links were really informative! Hmmm I think I'll stick to my original idea of a whippet - IGs seem harder to housetrain, more hyperactive and yappy - the three things I really don't want! :blink:

The only bonus for my small flat, is their size! :b

They sound lovely natured, but for a first time dog I think they could be a bit much.

Oh well!

I have gotten one whippet book out the library, and it had some useful points but mainly they seemed the same ones found in most doggy books. If anyone could reccomend a really useful whippet book, I would be very grateful! Thanks

belovedfool said:
I have gotten one whippet book out the library, and it had some useful points but mainly they seemed the same ones found in most doggy books. If anyone could reccomend a really useful whippet book, I would be very grateful! Thanks
My favourite one (although American) is 'Whippets a complete pet owners manual' by Caroline Coile & I also got 'Whippet' by Juliette Cuncliffe both at Amazon.

Whippets do come in a range of sizes, some of them very small.

Digit, however is a monster whippet - 23" at the shoulder, he amkes most other whippies look like IGs in comparison!

he's great around the flat though - the odd bout of playfulness and hours of lounging, snoozing, dozing and of course, sleeping!

23"? Eeek! :blink:

Yeah the only reason we particularly wanted a small dog was mainly because we have a pretty small flat! So much as we'd love it to be filled with dog...!

Also, for first time dog owners it just seems simpler to have one small enough to be scooped onto lap or into arms for bus journeys or (allowing) shop visits etc. :huggles:

Thanks for the book reccomendations... I shall go and see what amazon can do with them :D

I've got 2 iggies and although they add up to less than 1 whippet in size, weight etc, I would say that one iggie equals at least 2 and a half whippets!

my 2 whippets are great to live with, they are quiet, laid back, love to sleep and have just 2 speeds - stop and sprint, and if there is nothing to chase guess which one they use? :- "

my iggies have 2 speeds too - speedie or super-speedie! they are a pair of little moos who cause no end of trouble :rant: they are very naughty but also very addictive, real little characters o:)

my advice is to read back over some of the threads on this section, that should made things a bit clearer :thumbsup:

edited to say, don't be put off by bigger whippets if you are looking for a pet dog, the larger ones really dont take up any more room than one a couple of inches shorter - good luck :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i live in a one bed tiny flat and i own an whippet and a lab cross as long as you don't mind sitting on the floor the dogs have the sofa and the bed and stay there till walk time.

We are lucky loads of great walks round here for them and that is the most important bit outside space compared to inside space needs to be the bigger as whippets are made to run and you need somwere safe to let them run.

http://www.iggyplanet.com/

Try the above link/address or whatever its called. My IG is not yapping but will bark when someone comes to the house - she makes a good little alarm dog. As a tiny pup (read 8 - 16 weeks) yep, she was hyperactive. She is now 9 months and is much more relaxed. Try to meet some Iggies and/or whippets. My pup was not difficult to housetrain once I worked out she did not like to go outside in the cold. Once she had a jacket, the problem was solved. I reiterate, bluddy brilliant little dog. Don't know how I have survived all these years without one. Julie

Our 12 month old whippet is 18 " at shoulder and 20 lb, she's the smallest of a show litter but I believe racing bred whippets are small, , they curl up really small tho' :luck: in your search

Oh really? We don't want a whippet for anything other than a companion, but I might look into racing ones if they are smaller... thanks!

Mmm yeah from the looks of it some IG's are easier than others to train, but since this is the first time we've ever had a dog we'd rather not run the risk of getting one that decides it doesnt want to go outside and have to live with little 'presents' in every corner! :b

Yeah i suppose whippets are slight enough to curl up small...

And I shall register on that forum and see what they have to say, thanks :cheers:

And thanks for the luck, I think I'll need all the luck I can get hehe!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back