The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dirty Dog

whip_pet

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi i was just wondering how do you stop your dog from eating other dogs poop! its really starting to get on my nerves now, my dog is only 9months old, and i have to keep him on the lead so he doesnt go hunting for it like he does when he is off lead. I like to give him a good run on the field and when i see him put his head down and i go to approach him he scoffz it quick and runs off. It really looks like he is enjoying it and it makes me feel sick.

There was a thread up on this subject not so long ago and it has been discussed before.

It can indicate a deficiency in the dog's diet ........ what are you feeding him?

I'll try to find the link to the recent thread and post it for you :thumbsup:

Hi i was just wondering how do you stop your dog from eating other dogs poop! its really starting to get on my nerves now, my dog is only 9months old, and i have to keep him on the lead so he doesnt go hunting for it like he does when he is off lead. I like to give him a good run on the field and when i see him put his head down and i go to approach him he scoffz it quick and runs off. It really looks like he is enjoying it and it makes me feel sick.
Hi my dog eats his own but not other dogs and i have tried giving him pineapple but he loves it so much even in the poo,so it didn,t stop him .I took him to the vets and had blood tests done and as the results came back with a few abnormalities the vet put him on antibiotics and he has to have repeat tests next week.I did get advice on diet so go on the italian greyhound site[horrid habit] and read some of the replies i got may be of some help.Good luck

Thanks for that...... im feeding him on Jolleys dry puppy food coz it has over 40% meat in it.

Thanks for that...... im feeding him on Jolleys dry puppy food coz it has over 40% meat in it.
Try a drop of goats milk and natural cottage cheese with the dry food for about a week (7 days like craig Davies )

Some dogs do this as its become an habit and be honest theres so much rubbish in dog feeds and doesnt get digested , one of my whippets does this disgusting habit, but shes getting better...But as i feed mainly raw she doesnt eat her own or my other dogs as it purely waste coming out the other end, but you dont know what other dogs are eating

i did try homepathic pills and this did help

whippets will eat any poo given the chance..horses,chickens,cow, and of course lovely pussy cat poo :x

hiya i heard that some dogs do this out of bordom from being home all day. an other dogs do this through lack of protien in there foods try adding raw meet see if that helps. cheers Dwane

Foxy, my old whippet has taught this habit to the others as they have come to join our pack. I have tried everything. The interesting thing is that the two old whippets (Foxy and Misty) have stopped the habit of a lifetime since I put them on Wagg Complete Lite and Senior (for older dogs). Toddy developed Colitis with some complications after eating muck / poo. He is presently on Hills I/D and may be for life. I feel bad about it but he now wears a plastic racing muzzle when he is out. He has gotten used to it very quickly and it does solve the problem.

Bobby was doing this, however I changed his and the others food to jameswellbeloved and it has now completly stopped!!!! might be worth try changng his food too

My bitch, Ivy, was doing this a lot recently - really got on my nerves too! I felt so let down by her - I know that some people will feel that is silly, but you think you've reached an 'understanding' with an animal - it has nice cuddles on your lap, lots of walks, occasional treats etc. etc. and then it goes and eats cat ****! Anyway, worming was well overdue and I got this sorted and it really seems to have improved the poo eating. My mum always used to say, when she had done it, 'she needs worming' - there must be something in it!

one good type of food if you don't wish to feed raw it something called applaws which is what i feed mine with a clinivet biscuit. I have had nutritional training for cats and dogs and look into the percentages of meat etc if your interested on meat percentage etc look up a food called orijen it's amazing im thinking of changing my bitch into it because of the high meat content! applaws is cooked meat with veg and rice thats it no rubbish! My girls got an amazing coat on her she's so shiney you can see your face in her! I do tend to feed her rubbish too from our plates becoz i cant resist but shes healthy not fat and looks good so its ok hee hee :D

Orijen 6 Fish (400g)

Brand: Orijen

Type: Dry Complete Dog Food

Size: 400g

Suitable for: Adult

Senior

Contains: 70% Fish, 30% Fruit & Vegetables, 0% Grain

ORIJEN 6 FISH for DOGS is made with a Biologically Appropriate ingredient ratio (70/30/0) of 70% fish, 30% fruit and vegetables (and 0% grain).

ORIJEN 6 FISH features 6 fish species that are wild-caught within our region and delivered FRESH, never frozen each day. Unequalled in any other dry pet food, ORIJEN features a minimum of 6 fresh fish to provide a nourishing variety of fish proteins and oils.

Omega-3 (DHA, EPA) is from fresh fish, NOT sunflower, flax or canola oils (ALA) which are ineffective in the body of a dog. Veterinary selected botanicals soothe, nourish and tone the digestive tract while strengthening the liver.

JUST AN EG OF THIS FOOD THEY DO DIFFERENT FLAVOURS! :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back