The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

DNA Testing

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
QUOTE, "Shalista, post:

...why do (Rat Terriers) seem so rare, then?
I've literally never even met someone who's heard of them, much less met one.

It just comes down to popularity. - dog breeds, like so many things, have waves of popularity & then fade to near-obscurity. Sometimes they fade to oblivion, which is a real shame - the loss of a breed is very sad, as once gone, it is gone forever.
Re-creating the “Olde English Bulldogge” is a romantic notion, but the new breed will never be what was lost, before.

Terriers & other small breeds were the popular family dogs before Ww2, but after 1945 / 50, with more prosperity, larger breeds took over, & by the 1970s, the family dog was far more likely to be a Lab, Golden, or even a Saint, than a JRT, Rattie, or Beagle.

Big memes create huge demand for specific breeds, & that causes enormous problems - Dalmatians have had 3 separate boom & bust fads, all linked to Disney films, & they are really not an easy family breed. They need loads of aerobic exercise, & they are GUARD DOGS who are quite turfy.
Without lots of socialization, proofing, & training, they *will* bite someone, it’s just a matter of when & whom. :(

St Bernards similarly suffered from 4 massive popularity waves, the 1st in the 1960s, then later with each of the 3 “Beethoven” films. It destroyed their temps, & dog aggro, or even human aggro, is now fairly common in Saints. // A 130 to 150# dog who would like to just take U out, is a very scary & risky dog.
Saints are also getting more brachy every year; most of them now have facial folds below the eyes. - falling haws / droopy lower eyelids, cherry eye, entropion, ectriopion, stenotic nares, wrinkle dermatitis, sinus infections & URIs, they all come along with the accordioned foreface.
:(
They also have structural problems - trick knees in a giant breed cannot be ignored, as they are in Chis; the dog will be crippled w/ o surgery, which is expensive & not risk-free.
They have also been bred for greater size overall, especially for more massive heads & chests, which cause elbow, shoulder, & even wrist problems.

All of those are down to fads - when any dog with 3 legs, cloth ears, & gonads was bred, so long as s/he was of the Breed of the Month. Temperament, skin health, functional structure, organ health, all became immaterial in the desire to cash in, before the wave went by.

- terry

wow thats sad. such a pity to, i think a tiny terrier mutt is a better family dog then a bunch of these larger breeds. much more robust health wise to. bax would cheerfully tangle with anything that came his way and hes always down for a romp through the woods. people think cause hes little hes fragile or just some yippy froo froo dog are sadly mistaken.

I also think snobbery has a lot to do with it..
A few years ago I saw a lady in the park and remarked on her dog a Manchester terrier because I hadnt seen one since I was a kid. She seemed shocked I even knew what it was as most people thought it was some sort of mini dobermann.. The same could be said of whippets in recent years (although as seen on this forum they have made a comeback) the stabij and wetterhoun are two more dogs not that popular anymore and the rat terrier or borenfox another..

What do all these dogs have in common? They are working class dogs . Dogs used by working class people to do a job often vermin hunting and the snob factor has left people wanting more refined types of dog.
The love the BC and the aussie shepherds, they look cute and they have been made popular by flyball and heel work to music, but for the grim looking wetter or the rat terrier well even the name lacks snob value!

I'm not an expert at all, just like guessing :D have no experience of great danes either, he just looks like one lol. I was thinking some kind of border collie/ herding cross because of his colouring and the way he's bowing for the ball like they do.... also, would he not get the height from the great dane if that's what he's crossed with?
I've ordered a kit and will do the test tomorrow! I'm quite excited. It is like Who Do You Think You Are for dogs! He is getting taller too. That is where his long legs might have come from.

I also think snobbery has a lot to do with it..
A few years ago I saw a lady in the park and remarked on her dog a Manchester terrier because I hadnt seen one since I was a kid. She seemed shocked I even knew what it was as most people thought it was some sort of mini dobermann.. The same could be said of whippets in recent years (although as seen on this forum they have made a comeback) the stabij and wetterhoun are two more dogs not that popular anymore and the rat terrier or borenfox another..

What do all these dogs have in common? They are working class dogs . Dogs used by working class people to do a job often vermin hunting and the snob factor has left people wanting more refined types of dog.
The love the BC and the aussie shepherds, they look cute and they have been made popular by flyball and heel work to music, but for the grim looking wetter or the rat terrier well even the name lacks snob value!
I hear you on the snob value! We live in a well to do area, (we - poorest street) and we were keen to get a mongrel dog and mix it up in the park! Funny, everyone loves him and thinks he is some kind of pure breed!

@Drift's Owner , do U have a birthdate on Drift, & what does he weigh, now?

Just for general reference (to anyone) doubling a pup’s weight at 16-WO should get U within 5# of her or his adult fit weight. FAT weight can of course, be anything, so fit wt is the lean to acceptable range of body condition.
That formula will not hold for toy sized or giant dogs, who will respectively mature to less-than-20#, or will weigh 125# or more, as adults. :)

- terry

Thanks Terry. He is a rescue stray, so no birth date. He weighed 26kg on his last weigh in. He is pretty fit and lean, but could be quite a big breed cross.

I'm excited haha! I might get Teddy done. I got asked 3 times if he was crossed with a springer the other day and then if he was a red setter :/

I'm excited haha! I might get Teddy done. I got asked 3 times if he was crossed with a springer the other day and then if he was a red setter :/
I think Teddy would come back with 50% biscuit and 50% super cuteness genes! I bet you get good cuddles!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back