The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Do You Make Your Own Flea Treatment?

clairej810

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just wondering if anyone makes their own flea treatment, and if so what do you use?

Regular brands are too much for Max and Tiny, it makes their skin sore so I thought I might try and make my own. :unsure:

clairej810 said:
Just wondering if anyone makes their own flea treatment, and if so what do you use?
Regular brands are too much for Max and Tiny, it makes their skin sore so I thought I might try and make my own. :unsure:

Hi and unsure you should be, if as u say the regular brands makes there skin sore, what on earth would a concoction made up by u do, VETS is the answer, this is my opinion, and not meant to offend

keith

midlanderkeith said:
clairej810 said:

Hi and unsure you should be, if as u say the regular brands makes there skin sore, what on earth would a concoction made up by u do, VETS is the answer, this is my opinion, and not meant to offend

keith

I meant stuff like garlic capsules or tea tree oil or whatever?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mean flea replants from essencal oils i do well i pop some teatree and lavender on there houes collers not on them and i put some in there shampoo aswell and its worked fine for years. I have allsorts of dogs in her that we have fosterd and have neaver had a flea problem

I would use a flea killer from the vets if i suspected any of them had fleas i use the frontline spray on any foster dogs before they come in . I allso go through them all with a flea come to check once a week. I dont think you can make an killer just a replant I keep some teatree in a water sprt aswell that i spry on my legs when I do home check ir go to the pound stops me getting bit if theres any fleas about

we use tea tree shampoo, available in any pets at home. never had fleas yet, touch wood :D bonus with it, aside from flea deterrent, is its stopped ambers periodic dandruff and her coat gleams :huggles:

fallenangel said:
If you mean flea replants from  essencal oils i do well i pop some teatree and lavender on there houes collers not on them and i put some in there shampoo aswell and its worked fine for years. I have allsorts of dogs in her that we have fosterd and have neaver had a flea problem       I  would use a  flea killer from the vets if i suspected any of them had  fleas i use the frontline spray on any foster dogs before they come in . I allso go through them all with a flea come to check once a week.  I dont think you can make an killer just a replant I keep some teatree in a water sprt aswell that i spry on my legs when I do home check ir go to the pound stops  me getting bit if theres any fleas about

Yes I meant as a repellant, I should have said!! :oops: We don't have fleas, it's as a prevention. I shall give the tea tree a go. Thanks everyone for your help. :huggles: :thumbsup:

Bit of garlic in their food should repel well too.

midlanderkeith said:
Hi and unsure you should be, if as u say the regular brands makes there skin sore, what on earth would a concoction made up by u do, VETS is the answer, this is my opinion, and not meant to offend                    keith

IMO,it's normally the vets & regular brand concoctions of chemicals that can cause other health problems! (w00t)

This is from my Natural healing book for dogs...............

A combination of Brewers yeast & Garlic changes the flavour of your dog's blood & flea's HATE it!!!

Put some Citronella oil onto your dogs collar as flea's don't like the smell of it.

hope this is of some use to you Claire :thumbsup:

Pennyroyal is also a flea repellent, it has a nice fragrance too. If you have penyroyal in the garden and get bitten if you rub the leaves on the bite this helps also.

I use teatree shampoo on both humans and dogs and this is excellent.

one of my dogs shies away when he smells tea tree oil but I did once mix something up with lavender and citrus (lemongrass?) and I forget what else, similar to the herbal flea drops I sometimes buy. My own mix seemed to work as well.

How do these flea drops last for a month?

how often is it safe to use the homemade herbal mixes?

Macha said:
one of my dogs shies away when he smells tea tree oil but I did once mix something up with lavender and citrus (lemongrass?) and I forget what else, similar to the herbal flea drops I sometimes buy. My own mix seemed to work as well.How do these flea drops last for a month?

just be careful with citrus oils. on another forum someone dug up a list of items to be careful with, ie raisins, onions, garlic and citrus oils (apparantly can cause severe vomiting?)

alfyn said:
midlanderkeith said:
Hi and unsure you should be, if as u say the regular brands makes there skin sore, what on earth would a concoction made up by u do, VETS is the answer, this is my opinion, and not meant to offend                     keith

IMO,it's normally the vets & regular brand concoctions of chemicals that can cause other health problems! (w00t)

This is from my Natural healing book for dogs...............

A combination of Brewers yeast & Garlic changes the flavour of your dog's blood & flea's HATE it!!!

Put some Citronella oil onto your dogs collar as flea's don't like the smell of it.

hope this is of some use to you Claire :thumbsup:

Toothache, dentist, piles, doctors, eyes, optician, dogs, vets

keith :thumbsup:

whippetsrus said:
Pennyroyal is also a flea repellent, it has a nice fragrance too.  If you have penyroyal in the garden and get bitten if you rub the leaves on the bite this helps also.
I use teatree shampoo on both humans and dogs and this is excellent.

If you look in Dog World or Our Dogs this week (edition 07/07/06) there is an offer of a free sample of Pennyroyal Shampoo from Dorwest Herbs - just need to quote the code on the adverts :D Of course very good stuff, and fleas just don't like it! :p

Macha said:
Sorry but this question can never be answered correctly - the safe and effective use of herbals internally (as medicines) or topically is completely dependent on the strength and quality of the herbs.

There is no evidence what is safe the only way you can know is by using a licenced herbal medicine.

I use garlic & fenugreek tablets every day to prevest infestations of fleas and worms - but would never recommend a herbal as a treatment only as a preventative.

GARLIC PEARLS ARE GOOD also keep husbands away too lol

trish and graham said:
WIGGLEY said:
GARLIC PEARLS ARE GOOD also keep husbands away too lol

must try it :lol:

:lol: :thumbsup: Nice one!

Keith, I understand your opinion, but it was actually my vet who suggested trying a natural flea repellent instead of a commercial one this morning. I'm usually the first person to go dashing off to the vet!! :thumbsup: :huggles:

i work for a company that perfected a natural insect repellant based on citrodiol not "nella" and over the 10 years that i have worked for them we have conducted many live arm trials mainly by the London School Of Tropical Medicine on all products and also trials in Tanzania and Scotland and the results show garlic does not work you cannot change the smell of blood ok maybe if you were to rub garlic on the skin it may deter but not very user friendly the best thing for dogs is permetherin, natural made from crysthanthemums(sp) make up a weak solution and spray the house as well as the dog carpets and skirting boards etc

Macha said:
one of my dogs shies away when he smells tea tree oil but I did once mix something up with lavender and citrus (lemongrass?) and I forget what else, similar to the herbal flea drops I sometimes buy. My own mix seemed to work as well.How do these flea drops last for a month?

clarification - applied to skin (at top of neck and top of tail), not taken internally

(yes I know dogs lick each other, but most of the drops would be absorbed in skin)

just be careful with citrus oils. on another forum someone dug up a list of items to be careful with, ie raisins, onions, garlic and citrus oils (apparantly can cause severe vomiting?)

dont supose you have a copy of the list or a link? i would realy like to read it thanksxxx

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back