The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dodgy back legs

sto3den

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all

I have a 20 month old Whippet girl; she's quite little and reached her full height at about 7 months. When she was about 15 months old, she started limping every evening after having a run and struggles to sit down pretty much all the time. She is very playful and does run a lot when out on a walk. We've tried missing out off-lead walks to give her time to heal, but the problem returns as soon as she runs again, even when just a small amount of running.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain, she just hobbles around, but it is starting to worry me a little in case there is something wrong with her back legs.

Talking to other whippet owners, muscle strain seems to be quite common, but surely not every time?

I mentioned it to my vet when it first started and they suggested some rest, which I did, but the problem immediately returned after the next run, so I think it might now be time for further investigation.

Before I go back to the vet, does anyone have any similar experience or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

It could be one of many things. An injury is the most likely but you will not know until the vet has investigated further. My Whippet had many such injuries and was compensating by walking differently. I took her to an ACPAT physiotherapist and she also had acupuncture. It turned out that her pelvis was slightly out of line.

The longer these things go on the more time, money and effort they take to sort out.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back