The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Does anyone else groom/clip/cut their dogs themselves?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Teddy560, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Teddy560

Teddy560 Active Member Registered

Teddy had a quick go over with the clippers today. He does have a shorter spot on his head but overall he looks tidier :D he loves getting clipped too and was half asleep relaxing. He does the same thing when I clean his ears too.

leashedForLife likes this.
  2. Kara 1

Kara 1 Active Member Registered

I clip one of my lurchers and in the summer 2 of my guniea pigs ;)

excuseme likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

Yes, i do Timber. Its less stressful for him (he doesn't really like being fussed over by strangers). He is always scruffy but I like him like that.

excuseme likes this.
  4. excuseme

excuseme Well-Known Member Registered

I do our lot about 3 times a year. I have never taken any of my dogs to be "clipped".
    Feet are always kept short, in between toes too, trousers/knickers short too. The winter time is the most essential time, when the weather causes so much wet and loads of mud!
    It helps when keeping them tidy, to prevent too much dirt being brought into the house. (all of them live indoors with us) Short feet are essential for all of them!
    I would never take the risk of anyone shaving them all over. They need the protection of their outer course hairs to keep them waterproof while out working. I do spend quiet a lot of time plucking the soft fluffy hairs rather than cutting them off. 3 of our 6 have lovely short type coats and only their feet need attention.

5. Teddy560

Teddy has more of a short working coat than the longer show coat. I keep his feet short, the tangly bit behind his ears and hygiene areas short. He also has a really long clip over the main part of his body and I trim his feathers. He is a pet and lives indoors, doesn't work etc and wears a coat in bad rain and cold weather.

6. Teddy560

This was him before and after yesterday.

Attached Files:

7. Caro Perry

Caro Perry Well-Known Member Registered

I do a basic shampoo and trim around his eyes so he can see out but otherwise it's the groomer. Harri has a very thick double coat and I want to preserve his colouring and he needs his waterproof top coat so clipping is not an option.

He gets a partial strip every 3 months to get rid of as much of his undercoat as we can. You can rarely find any skin there is so much of it. I probably do need to learn how to strip but although he is co operative his coat isn't easy to do.