The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Does Anyone

hi,this is a question i have asked before,you wont get many replys cause there isnt many at all on here who work there dogs on here :lol: and its a shame because most have 3 are 4 lurchers each which could turn out to be the odd one here and there good working lurcher

hmmmmmmm shame

jmo but most people who show lurchers are the people that have got no where showing peds years ago when I judged the lurchers at the F&MWTC finals(back in the days when there was only 2 UK finals) I chose a dog that was in my opinion the best but it did carry a few scars anyway I had 3 different sets of women come upto me afterwards and have a go at me including 1 who told me it was obvious I didnt know what I was doing I asked all of these if they worked their dogs and non of them did and remember in them days they were advertised as working dog shows, a couple of funny things to come out of it tho was watching Dave Harcombe being sick he had laughed that much at me being verbally abused and Barry Jones just taking gently hold of the womans arm and walking her away talking to her like she was a little child telling her she shouldnt bully me :(

anyway back to the point I must be old fashioned because I thought a lurcher was a working breed and can remember when lurcher shows were one of the very few places where you went to replace broken equipment etc

Darren

lure coursing and racing are good forms of stimulation (altho I dont know about on hot days) but what stimulation is there in the show ring? Shows would be better of being held during other seasons of the year to make them less uncomfortable for the dogs(but then u have the rain problem I know) as for chasing rabbits etc the country side is never more than 20 mins away doesnt have to be full on just letting the dog use its nose and go through the reeds and long grass etc, by the way over the years we have also lamped hundreds or rabbits on industrial estates and schhol playing fields in the middle of towns and cities we have also lamped as many rats and a fair few foxes on the rubbish dump with lurchers and terriers

shameless52 said:
lure coursing and racing are good forms of stimulation (altho I dont know about on hot days) but what stimulation is there in the show ring? Shows would be better of being held during other seasons of the year to make them less uncomfortable for the dogs(but then u have the rain problem I know) as for chasing rabbits etc the country side is never more than 20 mins away doesnt have to be full on just letting the dog use its nose and go through the reeds and long grass etc, by the way over the years we have also lamped hundreds or rabbits on industrial estates and schhol playing fields in the middle of towns and cities we have also lamped as many rats and a fair few foxes on the rubbish dump with lurchers and terriers

Last edited by a moderator:
JOHN m8,U must admit lurcher racing is gettin like a mixture of non-ped greyhounds and non-ped whippet racing last few years. :teehee:I agree with mark lucher were bred for the feild not shows cannot see the point of lurcher shows me self,and as for weather sun heat ect well i cannot say much on that score because i do non ped whippet racing and we out there racing in the heat but get dogs in shade fast as we can after racing to get them cooled down.and as far as iv seen i never see anydogs kept out in it and if i did i would be first to go say summit to the owners

tiptap said:
JOHN m8,U must admit lurcher racing is gettin like a mixture of non-ped greyhounds and non-ped whippet racing last few years. :teehee:I agree with mark lucher were bred for the feild not shows cannot see the point of lurcher shows me self,and as for weather sun heat ect well i cannot say much on that score because i do non ped whippet racing and we out there racing in the heat but get dogs in shade fast as we can after racing to get them cooled down.and as far as iv seen i never see anydogs kept out in it and if i did i would be first to go say summit to the owners
oh hello george

yes lurchers were bred for blahdy blah....what the owner choses to do with them is his perogative...my parents bred corgis when i was little....did we have fukn cows to herd. ?.nope ! things change times change .

we go to lurcher shows because we dont have enough racing anywhere else. we dont do non-ped racing here . ive registered my china so ill be back and forth racing her as a non-ped if markbrick says its ok.

so george you go to non-ped events dont you ? is there m uch difference in racing alurcher on a 250yd straight and racing a non-ped on a 175yd straight ?

as for heat...does everyone think we let dogs lie out in the sun before racing or maybe after racing..hahah fuxsake come on !!

I agree its all about non ped whippies and greyhounds which i do happen to have 2 of myself i also have a lurcher thats got a bit of almost everything in him i think lol. It would be nice to see more what i call true lurchers racing and showing not just longdogs all the time. I live in south london and would loved to work my dogs but it is just impossible for me i have no where to go its bad enough when i take them on wimbledon common i'd like a pound for every argument i have had with people over the dogs catching sqiurels its a joke here they tell me my dogs are intemidating because they are fast and i should keep them on leads :rant: it makes my blood boil they really do get a hard time where i live. Clare :(

and as for weather sun heat ect well i cannot say much on that score because i do non ped whippet racing and we out there racing in the heat but get dogs in shade fast as we can after racing to get them cooled down.and as far as iv seen i never see anydogs kept out in it and if i did i would be first to go say summit to the owners...........DID I SAY U LOT NO.and u ask is there a difo in lurcher racing john ye there is few are starting just to breed them(so called lurchers) for racing and not for feild.shows used to be called working lurcher&terries now they pamped pooch lurcher&terrier shows some of these so called lurchers have never seen a hair off there backs never mind a hare in the feild :p

clare Bow said:
I agree its all about non ped whippies and greyhounds which i do happen to have 2 of myself i also have a lurcher thats got a bit of almost everything in him i think lol. It would be nice to see more what i call true lurchers racing and showing not just longdogs all the time. I live in south london and would loved to work my dogs but it is just impossible for me i have no where to go its bad enough when i take them on wimbledon common i'd like a pound for every argument i have had with people over the dogs catching sqiurels its a joke here they tell me my dogs are intemidating because they are fast and i should keep them on leads  :rant:   it makes my blood boil they really do get a hard time where i live. Clare  :(

tell me about it..! i was out with my 2 a few weeks past and a dog warden pulled up in a van..jumped out and asked me..."is there much bull in your dogs ?"..well i thought i was going to make wee-wee laughing.

clare Bow said:
I agree its all about non ped whippies and greyhounds which i do happen to have 2 of myself i also have a lurcher thats got a bit of almost everything in him i think lol. It would be nice to see more what i call true lurchers racing and showing not just longdogs all the time. I live in south london and would loved to work my dogs but it is just impossible for me i have no where to go its bad enough when i take them on wimbledon common i'd like a pound for every argument i have had with people over the dogs catching sqiurels its a joke here they tell me my dogs are intemidating because they are fast and i should keep them on leads  :rant:   it makes my blood boil they really do get a hard time where i live. Clare  :(
OUTCH SOME1 AGREEING WITH ME GOD THAT MUST HURT AFEW THANKS CLARE XXXXXXXXXXXXX

tell me about it..! i was out with my 2 a few weeks past and a dog warden pulled up in a van..jumped out and asked me..."is there much bull in your dogs ?"..well i thought i was going to make wee-wee laughing.

so you have a hard time to i thought it was only me. What happened then ?

so shameless answer to your question is myfreind does anyone here work their lurchers or is it all about showing?not many do work them and way things are going ye they show them more than they used to :- " or race them,now john before u go off on one u must admit there is a lot more shows,racing ect than used to be

Frankie and I go to the dog shows for the racing, we have no interest in parading the dogs in a ring (As some people call it), but I can see the attraction of showing, its all part of a fun day out its part of the competition, and some people pay LOADS of money to do it. Its an interest, a hobby if you like. If all there is available to us here in Ireland is the dog chasing after a rag then thats what we will do because thats all thats available.

We also have dogs that we work and we dont either race or show, we have an interest in both sides of it.

But I dont tell people what there dogs purpose is because thats their business and completely up to them, it doesnt make them any less of a lurcher because thats what they are!

clare Bow said:

well i didnt want to hurt her feelings as she looked like a newbee....so i said that it might be best if she looked at some pix of bull crosses when she goes back to base. next thing i knew we were doing full on snogging and rolled about in her van !! well in my head we were anyway ;) in hers she was running like fuk screaming "MADMANNNNNNNNNN !"

DAMN I HATE THAT HAPPENING (w00t)

stormydog said:
clare Bow said:

well i didnt want to hurt her feelings as she looked like a newbee....so i said that it might be best if she looked at some pix of bull crosses when she goes back to base. next thing i knew we were doing full on snogging and rolled about in her van !! well in my head we were anyway ;) in hers she was running like fuk screaming "MADMANNNNNNNNNN !"

DAMN I HATE THAT HAPPENING (w00t)

lol john u need to learn me how to do that m8 lol

I also have an interest in both sides but i can only race and show my lot which i love to do and they enjoy it to. Would love to work them but due to where i live it is just out of the question i get in enough trouble just letting them have a run on the playing fields where i live. :( clare

clare hun they wot we call the goody goody gang lol u find them everywhere hun even on k9 lol :- " :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back