The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Does Anyone

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
shameless52 said:
hmmmmmmm shame jmo but most people who show lurchers are the people that have got no where showing peds years ago when I judged the lurchers at the F&MWTC finals(back in the days when there was only 2 UK finals) I chose a dog that was in my opinion the best but it did carry a few scars anyway I had 3 different sets of women come upto me afterwards and have a go at me including 1 who told me it was obvious I didnt know what I was doing I asked all of these if they worked their dogs and non of them did and remember in them days they were advertised as working dog shows, a couple of funny things to come out of it tho was watching Dave Harcombe being sick he had laughed that much at me being verbally abused and Barry Jones just taking gently hold of the womans arm and walking her away talking to her like she was a little child telling her she shouldnt bully me :(

anyway back to the point I must be old fashioned because I thought a lurcher was a working breed and can remember when lurcher shows were one of the very few places where you went to replace broken equipment etc

Darren

Think times change Darren,(and we all get older :lol: )lurcher shows may be different now,but they're still full of folk who love running dogs (whatever there type)Take issue with a couple of your points though.Don't believe just cause a dog is scarred it makes it a working dog.Can remember a few stories has to how some terriers got marked up :- " and also just cause a womans on the end of a lead doesn't mean the dog doesn't work.Have seen plenty of fellas throw a wobbly when there dog doesn't get owt in the show ring. :)

tiptap said:
stormydog said:
clare Bow said:
tell me about it..! i was out with my 2 a few weeks past and a dog warden pulled up in a van..jumped out and asked me..."is there much bull in your dogs ?"..well i thought i was going to make wee-wee laughing.

so you have a hard time to i thought it was only me. What happened then ?

well i didnt want to hurt her feelings as she looked like a newbee....so i said that it might be best if she looked at some pix of bull crosses when she goes back to base. next thing i knew we were doing full on snogging and rolled about in her van !! well in my head we were anyway ;) in hers she was running like fuk screaming "MADMANNNNNNNNNN !"

DAMN I HATE THAT HAPPENING (w00t)

lol john u need to learn me how to do that m8 lol

your a boy aint you john lol :D

hmmmmmmm shame

jmo but most people who show lurchers are the people that have got no where showing peds years ago when I judged the lurchers at the F&MWTC finals(back in the days when there was only 2 UK finals) I chose a dog that was in my opinion the best but it did carry a few scars anyway I had 3 different sets of women come upto me afterwards and have a go at me including 1 who told me it was obvious I didnt know what I was doing I asked all of these if they worked their dogs and non of them did and remember in them days they were advertised as working dog shows, a couple of funny things to come out of it tho was watching Dave Harcombe being sick he had laughed that much at me being verbally abused and Barry Jones just taking gently hold of the womans arm and walking her away talking to her like she was a little child telling her she shouldnt bully me sad.gif

anyway back to the point I must be old fashioned because I thought a lurcher was a working breed and can remember when lurcher shows were one of the very few places where you went to replace broken equipment etc well said and put and so true :thumbsup:

i work my dog shameless mate :thumbsup: but only cos hes not quick enough to win any races ,just ask milly :lol: :lol: no seriously mate i got into lurchers first an foremost for getting out an about working them day and night :thumbsup: but i dont see anyything wrong with in the summer months taking the family for a day out to the shows an gamefairs for a bit of lure coursing , an through the winter months i give him a spin round highgate dog track on the odd saturday night an really enjoy it,but as ive said for me nothing beats the feeling of seeing your dog on the arse of its intended quarry doing what it was bred for cheers :cheers:

P2060017.jpg

PA270020.jpg

P8250020.jpg

P4090022.jpg
P6100041.jpg

PB090029.jpg

highgate hey hmmmmmmmmmm might see u in the pigeon club one day or the hotel if I amdesperate lol

rodders said:
shameless52 said:
hmmmmmmm shame jmo but most people who show lurchers are the people that have got no where showing peds years ago when I judged the lurchers at the F&MWTC finals(back in the days when there was only 2 UK finals) I chose a dog that was in my opinion the best but it did carry a few scars anyway I had 3 different sets of women come upto me afterwards and have a go at me including 1 who told me it was obvious I didnt know what I was doing I asked all of these if they worked their dogs and non of them did and remember in them days they were advertised as working dog shows, a couple of funny things to come out of it tho was watching Dave Harcombe being sick he had laughed that much at me being verbally abused and Barry Jones just taking gently hold of the womans arm and walking her away talking to her like she was a little child telling her she shouldnt bully me :(

anyway back to the point I must be old fashioned because I thought a lurcher was a working breed and can remember when lurcher shows were one of the very few places where you went to replace broken equipment etc

Darren

and also just cause a womans on the end of a lead doesn't mean the dog doesn't work.Have seen plenty of fellas throw a wobbly when there dog doesn't get owt in the show ring. :)

I know the best in show had a woman at the end of the lead ;)

markbrick said:
stormydog said:
markbrick said:
stormydog said:
shameless52 said:
I dont listen to Mark u pair obviously have problems with each other nothin to do with me and my last post was directed at everyone who might never have realised that rabbits could be a lot nearer than they thought btw thanks very much for swearing at me its most appreciated :*
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHERE ? o:) the whole of k9 has a problem with markprick (w00t) :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you doing it again john ive told you save youre insults for one of the shows,you insult me on here then send me a decent pm, i will see you soon and you can tell me what you think to my face,regards mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ILL BE AT THE FRONT OF THE QUEUE :thumbsup: (w00t)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its a date
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

please can i be the bestman at the wedding

Sorry to be a bore and go back to the original question of "does anyone here work their lurchers or is it all about showing? "

I regularly work my 6 year old 3/4 collie bitch - although not last season as she had a toe removed and i wanted to make sure her foot is 100% before going out again - she would easily lift a dozen rabbits in an evening, is a cunning and crafty hunter, anticipating each turn and returns to hand with live quarry.

I also show and race her, she has taken numerous best in shows including reserve all ireland champion 2006. She goes mad when the racing starts and is almost uncontrolable at the slip, however she won reserve over 23" straight racing all Ireland champion 2007.

So in answer to the question - both: hunting is great fun and both me and the dog get a buzz out of it. I also enjoy going to shows, i've met some good people who are friendly, heplful but most importantly great craic and we all share a similar interest.

streaky said:
Sorry to be a bore and go back to the original question of "does anyone here work their lurchers or is it all about showing? "I regularly work my 6 year old 3/4 collie bitch - although not last season as she had a toe removed and i wanted to make sure her foot is 100% before going out again - she would easily lift a dozen rabbits in an evening, is a cunning and crafty hunter, anticipating each turn and returns to hand with live quarry.

I also show and race her, she has taken numerous best in shows including reserve all ireland champion 2006. She goes mad when the racing starts and is almost uncontrolable at the slip, however she won reserve over 23" straight racing all Ireland champion 2007.

So in answer to the question - both: hunting is great fun and both me and the dog get a buzz out of it. I also enjoy going to shows, i've met some good people who are friendly, heplful but most importantly great craic and we all share a similar interest.

and a fine dog she is too mate. maybe see you tomorrow if youre for annaghmore.

wot a site :( who needs labour to try and divide us

and I really dont see the need for your input daffy other than to fan the flames of MBs and SDs spat not been on here long but thats the 2nd time I have seen you do it

shameless52 said:
rodders said:
shameless52 said:

Darren

and also just cause a womans on the end of a lead doesn't mean the dog doesn't work.Have seen plenty of fellas throw a wobbly when there dog doesn't get owt in the show ring. :)

I know the best in show had a woman at the end of the lead ;)

:lol: :thumbsup:

GRAHAM PEM said:
markbrick said:
stormydog said:
markbrick said:
stormydog said:
shameless52 said:
I dont listen to Mark u pair obviously have problems with each other nothin to do with me and my last post was directed at everyone who might never have realised that rabbits could be a lot nearer than they thought btw thanks very much for swearing at me its most appreciated :*
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you doing it again john ive told you save youre insults for one of the shows,you insult me on here then send me a decent pm, i will see you soon and you can tell me what you think to my face,regards mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its a date
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'ld be better has a bridesmaid Graham o:) Mandy says she'll find you a dress just as long as you can find that handbag :- " :D

rodders said:
GRAHAM PEM said:
markbrick said:
stormydog said:
markbrick said:
stormydog said:
shameless52 said:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its a date
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'ld be better has a bridesmaid Graham o:) Mandy says she'll find you a dress just as long as you can find that handbag :- " :D

karen i left the bloddy handbag in the toilets at swallowsnest can i borrow one please

GRAHAM PEM said:
many a good time had at highgate

yes , i agree , won loads of greyhound races ( with different jockeys ) taking them in , at highgate , but back to the question , yes i work my lurchers , VERY HARD through the season , but i also like to race them as well , have won the highgate marathon , for the last two years with my bitch , and hopefully go back for the treble , but in all honesty , everybody has there own principles of what they want there dogs to do , racing is great fun , showing is great fun too , where else would we meet other like minded people , who can and do become really good freinds.

Last edited by a moderator:
dennned said:
GRAHAM PEM said:

yes , i agree , won loads of greyhound races ( with different jockeys ) taking them in , at highgate , but back to the question , yes i work my lurchers , VERY HARD through the season , but i also like to race them as well , have won the highgate marathon , for the last two years with my bitch , and hopefully go back for the treble , but in all honesty , everybody has there own principles of what they want there dogs to do , racing is great fun , showing is great fun too , where else would we meet other like minded people , who can and do become really good freinds.

yes it would be a sad world if we all did the same thing hope you win the treble.

GRAHAM PEM said:
dennned said:
GRAHAM PEM said:

yes it would be a sad world if we all did the same thing hope you win the treble.

cheers graham , it would be nice

Well,well,well.

I go to lots of shows with my Deerhound X Greyhound x collie x bull (lurcher) We don`t do too bad in both showing or events, But what is more important we have some very good social days/weekends out :cheers:

I must add, our dogs are working dogs first and an excuse for a day at a show second. I have seen some good dogs at shows but cant help thinking in some cases if it is`nt for supermarkets some people would starve if they had to rely on there beloved lurcher :thumbsup:

shameless52 said:
does anyone here work their lurchers or is it all about showing?
yes , i work and lure course my lurchers , work show and lure course my whippets too , just find you dont get as much positive comments as this is a principally racing showing and pet forum , although many do work theirs they just dont say :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back