The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog Barking In Car

nefariousotter

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I've got a 2 year old male rescue border collie, have had him for about 4 months. He has various issues that we are working on to do with nervousness and fear aggression but there is one issue that I am having a bit of trouble with and it's driving me mad! When we are in the car, if we're moving he is fine (except if he sees a cyclist) and when the car is stationary and I am not in the car, he doesn't make a sound. However, if we are stationary and I am in the car (e.g. arriving/leaving car parks) he goes mad barking at anyone who comes anywhere near.

I have tried to do some training with this, stopping in a supermarket car park and getting ready to try to stop him barking and click and reward for being quiet, but for this I had to sit in the back. We were there for 20 minutes and the little sod darling didn't make a sound even though it was busy and we had lots of his usual triggers. So obviously, me being in the back seat had some calming effect. Unfortunately, it's a bit hard to drive away if I'm in the back!

Any thoughts/ideas on how I could tried to stop/reduce him doing this?

Cheers!

I wonder if he is protecting you from the dangerous people??? hehe

I would consult a behaviourist I think - is he in the boot when you are travelling?

Welcome to Dog Forum! :)

Have you tried him in the back in a covered crate? He might be much calmer if he cannot see people and dogs to bark at.

If he is your only dog then getting a crate for the boot may be your best bet, cover with a blanket to keep him calm., but what i would try to do is to teach him to be quiet by using clicker training, you start this by teaching him to speak, when he barks, click and reward and give the command speak, when he will barck on command you can then teach him quiet .

Thanks for the replies. We are crate training him at the moment, but I wanted to use this as a last resort in the car. I would like to try to train him to stop rather than just managing the problem by taking away the stimulus, but I think it may end up being the way to go. He can be a bit of a barker in other situations too, so training him to speak and be quiet would be useful!

Cheers!

Oh, and he is in the boot and we have tried to reduce visibility by putting shades on the side windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is proberly why he was in a rescue centre along with a few more

that have issues in there life

atb with his retraining as the centre you got him from had any answers for you??

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back