The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog bed / feeding / storage unit - survey

Bailey06

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello I am a student doing a survey for a Design & Technology Project, where I need to research dog and owner behaviours. I am focusing on whether there would be a need for a dog storage / bed / feeding station. I would just like to know if people find it annoying when you don't have everything in one place and if it would be useful if for example your dogs bed had a storage drawer e.g. underneath it and also included feeding bowls built in.

i would also like to know if you have a large dog where they strain their neck to bend down to eat and if a high feeding bowl would help them and if also they might like to combine a high feeding bowl with a bowl designed to slow down eating.

If you could spare a minute just to complete this survey I would greatly appreciate it and it would help my A level project.

Questions
1. Would a combined bed / storage unit be useful?
2. Would you like to combine a tidy built in feeding station with this unit?
3. What type of dog do you have?
4. Does your dog require high feeding bowls / Slow eating bowls / both?

Thank you so much.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. My dog passed last year, so I'm replying as if he was still here - I hope that's still useful for you.

No - the bed would need to be raised up off the ground, and that can cause problems when the dog gets older or has any joint issues. Possibly even more importantly, dogs usually like to be left in peace when on their beds, and wouldn't appreciate a human delving in the storage bit.

No - I would want the bed to be in the main living area, and to feed in the kitchen. I'm also not sure food smells next to the bed would be a good idea either.

A large lurcher

Neither - I've read about the possible advantages & disadvantages of high feeding bowls, but the evidence didn't seem to be clear so I stuck with ground-level bowls.

I have always had larger lurchers and always had raised feeding bowls and water bowl ...we used buckets with the bottoms cut out and a stainless steel bowl that way the buckets can be stacked on top of each other...
We have 2 deerhounds now and they both have plasterers buckets as raised feeders ...
My lurchers all had raised beds and could sleep on our furniture...the boys we have now have their own 3 seater sofa and dogbeds but prefer the wooden floors :)unless Teddy is sat on the back of the sofa ....
20230825_074831.jpg

Forgot to add...my two wouldn't need a slow feeder as they both eat very slowly ....:Dgood luck with your studies ;)

I've always had terriers and lurchers, so quite a size and temperament difference! Like Judy, I am answering from the point of view of the dogs I've had.

1. No, because dogs need a peaceful place to rest, so anyone accessing the storage part would cause upset. Some dogs might become anxious (terriers!) if feeding equipment was by their bed, and feel the need to guard it.
2. No, because my dogs were raw fed and hygiene argues that bowls once cleaned should be kept in sterile conditions.
3. Terriers and lurchers
4. No. We have always fed from floor level and never had problems. I appreciate quite a few people do have the need to feed dogs from raised surfaces.

All the best with your survey.

Hi
In reply to your survey..
1 and 2. I think a combined bed and storage would be too bulky and inflexible. Saying that, my dog's crate which is only one of several beds, is covered by various dog stuff so...possibly useful, but not for food. His food is kept elsewhere.
My dog is a spaniel and sleeps in his crate/pen when left but has also beds elsewhere and sleeps in my bedroom.
He uses a slow feed bowl. And also a water bowl for a spaniel's long ears.

Hello and welcome! Here are my answers:

No. My dog, and I suspect most, would get annoyed/upset with tinkering under his bed when I need to get at stuff, especially when he's in it!

No, for the reason above.

Mixed breed male rescue dog, medium size.

He does have a slow feeding bowl but does not need a high bowl (as I'm sure you're aware, these things exist and as you can see some have fashioned their own).

Hope that helps! :)

I've always had terriers and lurchers, so quite a size and temperament difference! Like Judy, I am answering from the point of view of the dogs I've had.

1. No, because dogs need a peaceful place to rest, so anyone accessing the storage part would cause upset. Some dogs might become anxious (terriers!) if feeding equipment was by their bed, and feel the need to guard it.
2. No, because my dogs were raw fed and hygiene argues that bowls once cleaned should be kept in sterile conditions.
3. Terriers and lurchers
4. No. We have always fed from floor level and never had problems. I appreciate quite a few people do have the need to feed dogs from raised surfaces.

All the best with your survey.
thank you for your help

Hello and welcome! Here are my answers:

No. My dog, and I suspect most, would get annoyed/upset with tinkering under his bed when I need to get at stuff, especially when he's in it!

No, for the reason above.

Mixed breed male rescue dog, medium size.

He does have a slow feeding bowl but does not need a high bowl (as I'm sure you're aware, these things exist and as you can see some have fashioned their own).

Hope that helps! :)
thank you for your help

Hi
In reply to your survey..
1 and 2. I think a combined bed and storage would be too bulky and inflexible. Saying that, my dog's crate which is only one of several beds, is covered by various dog stuff so...possibly useful, but not for food. His food is kept elsewhere.
My dog is a spaniel and sleeps in his crate/pen when left but has also beds elsewhere and sleeps in my bedroom.
He uses a slow feed bowl. And also a water bowl for a spaniel's long ears.
thank you for your help

I have always had larger lurchers and always had raised feeding bowls and water bowl ...we used buckets with the bottoms cut out and a stainless steel bowl that way the buckets can be stacked on top of each other...
We have 2 deerhounds now and they both have plasterers buckets as raised feeders ...
My lurchers all had raised beds and could sleep on our furniture...the boys we have now have their own 3 seater sofa and dogbeds but prefer the wooden floors :)unless Teddy is sat on the back of the sofa ....View attachment 111981233
thank you for your help

Hi, and welcome to the forum. My dog passed last year, so I'm replying as if he was still here - I hope that's still useful for you.

No - the bed would need to be raised up off the ground, and that can cause problems when the dog gets older or has any joint issues. Possibly even more importantly, dogs usually like to be left in peace when on their beds, and wouldn't appreciate a human delving in the storage bit.

No - I would want the bed to be in the main living area, and to feed in the kitchen. I'm also not sure food smells next to the bed would be a good idea either.

A large lurcher

Neither - I've read about the possible advantages & disadvantages of high feeding bowls, but the evidence didn't seem to be clear so I stuck with ground-level bowls.
thank you for your help

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back