The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog breeding dream - Reality check?

Kandu

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I would love some advice, or more likely a reality check if I'm honest.

I've fallen head over heels in love with a particular breed, I have been rescuing them for years now, and honestly I just can't see my life without them

I would never stop rescuing, but here in the UK you can't find a breeder even if you tried, as there isn't one. And I would happily dedicate my life to these beautiful dogs.

The breed (Sarplaninac) is not a registered breed here and although that doesn't bother me, what would be the steps to becoming a registered breeder for a breed like this? It is even possible?
I've only ever been involved in the rescue world so honestly, I don't even know where I would start.
What would be the hurdles I faced as a newbie to the breeding scene?

How sensible of you to check everything before you commit. I've bred a few litters, and helped with a lot more, so while not a fully comprehensive reply, I can say:

How do you intend to get your breeding stock over here? Cost it out.

Have you any experience of helping dogs to mate? It isn't straightforward and you will need at least one experienced helper.

Have you experience of dogs giving birth? That isn't always straightforward either, and sometimes you have to hand-rear a litter.

Breeding is very expensive in time and money, if the pups are properly reared and the dam properly cared for. Cost it out.

Do you work outside the home? You would need at least two months, preferably three, off work to keep the dam and pups properly.

You will have to dispose of a lot of soiled bedding. Do you have the ability to do this legally?

Does your home/garden belong to you, or will you need landlord/lady permission?

Check out council bylaws (assuming you are in UK) that might restrict your plans or even forbid them.

How/where do you intend to advertise the pups? How will you vet your prospective owners? What is your home security like? People will try to steal your pups, will try to bargain the price down, will think they offer suitable homes when they do not.

I think I'd better stop there for now, but there are other considerations - a lot of them.

Also - what is your intended market? We see more and more dogs being bought for the wrong reasons, for example as status symbols, by people with no experience; and put in environments that are totally unsuitable. A sarplaninac would struggle in an urban environment.

These are a primitive breed and not suitable for all homes or for average pet owners. Make a mistake handling a Golden Retriever and the dog will brush it off. Make a mistake with handling a Sarplaninac and you may not walk away.

Last edited:
Have you been rescuing them from abroad ...can I ask why you would want to breed them when you are rescuing them ....
There are so many guarding breeds in rescue now ....

Last edited:
I’m having problems with regard to your rationale. A ‘rescue’ situation is to alleviate a negative or otherwise pitiful life for the animal. If there are no such requirements in the U.K., as the breed doesn’t exist here, what are you hoping to achieve? How will your plan benefit a dog which doesn’t exist nor, consequently, warrant rescuing? Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood your aim.

The way I'm read it, the OP has been involved in rescue, but not necessarily of Sarplaninacs specifically. But this is the breed they now want to start breeding.

However, they don't seem to have logged in since they made that post, so I do hope they have visited and seen the replies.

She states she has been rescuing them for years fallen head over heels for them but cannot find a breeder over here ....why would you want to if you were already rescuing them ...doesn't make any sense to me ....

You are right, I totally missed the word ”them”. Thanks for that.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back