The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog daycare at 5 months?

Pam99

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all, just looking for some advice on doggy daycare. Ruby is just over 5 months now so i have decided to take her to daycare for 1 day a week (5 hours 10am to 3pm) just to give me a chance to catch up on work/chores etc. Yesterday was her first day and even though they tried to get her to sleep they said she wouldnt so she spent 5hours mingling with other pups. Should i be concerned with this? Should i take her for less time to start with then build it up? She fell asleep at 7pm last night, woke up early for the toilet and is back in bed asleep now which is most unusual!

I'm very wary of doggy daycare, especially the kind where dogs mix together in a free-for-all. It's my opinion that she is way too young to tolerate this, and it could have lasting repercussions. If, however, she has separate secure space while there, and is taken out on her own a few times to stretch her legs and see to her toileting needs, I wouldn't be so concerned.

They aren't pups for all that long - soon she will have her walks and relax between times for you to get on with household stuff. Puppies are so much more important than having a spotless home.

I'm very wary of doggy daycare, especially the kind where dogs mix together in a free-for-all. It's my opinion that she is way too young to tolerate this, and it could have lasting repercussions. If, however, she has separate secure space while there, and is taken out on her own a few times to stretch her legs and see to her toileting needs, I wouldn't be so concerned.

They aren't pups for all that long - soon she will have her walks and relax between times for you to get on with household stuff. Puppies are so much more important than having a spotless home.
Yes, i had a feeling that someone might say that! I fear shes a bit young for it. I got sent a video and it was just dogs running around all together. She looked happy enough but i wasnt expecting her to have 5hrs like that with no respite! I'm also going to be going back to work in September so i thought sending her there 1 day a week might be a good idea and sending her now so she could get used to it. At what age do you think they could tolerate it?

Every dog is an individual, especially in respect of emotional needs, so you can't put an age to it. I strongly suggest you find an alternative - you could probably negotiate a good rate with a boarding kennels, which would mean she would have her own secure kennel and run, and paddock exercise on her own a few times a day. You will need to be very careful - like any other business, kennels vary hugely in staff competence - and you will need to check exactly what they are offering, and be very precise about what you want for her. Running about with a mass of dogs isn't what I'd recommend for any dog at any age.

You could also look for a dog walker/sitter. Someone I knew would collect and walk the dogs in the morning, then they'd go to her house for the day and have another walk in the afternoon before returning them. She didn't take many, and encouraged them to chill in between walks. Again, choose carefully - this one only took a few dogs at a time and would invite a new dog & owner to her house so she could assess them and see how they fitted in with her dogs. Don't ask me how I know she would also 'expel' dogs who might cause ructions... :oops:

Thank you for the advice, yes i think i do need an alternative! Ruby has been tired and not quite her usual self today so I'll take that as a sign!

I am only going back to work 2 days a week though so was considering 1 day of daycare and 1 day of dog walker/sitter.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back