The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dog food thoughts?

Discussion in 'Dog Food and Diet' started by arealhuman, Feb 13, 2017.

1. arealhuman

arealhuman Well-Known Member Registered

Thanks - was just talking to my wife about Gentle, likely to order some tomorrow or Saturday.

2. arealhuman

Smaller bag ordered to see how he gets on :thumbsup:

3. arealhuman

Gentle arrived yesterday (delivery nightmare, but not Gentle's fault). Offered my dog a couple of pellets - he loved it! Couldn't get him out of the room where we keep it, so thanks for the recommendation. One thing, and I haven't read the details properly yet, the recommended daily amount seems quite small, something like 10% of his body weight. Does this sound right? Thanks again, and I'm sorry to be always asking questions.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

This is right, with better quality foods you can feed less of them, but the best thing to do is get him weighed now, feed for a month then weigh him again. Then you can adjust if necessary. And no need to apologise for questions, that's why we are members here; to seek and give advice.

arealhuman likes this.
  5. arealhuman

Thanks a lot :) I'm going to move him to the new food gently (hahaha) so will probably weigh him when the transition is complete - we will be mixing larger portion of Gentle to his current food until it runs out, then it will be 100% Gentle. I guess this will take 1 - 2 weeks based on what he's got left of his current stuff.

6. JoanneF

Good plan.

arealhuman likes this.
  7. cassandrawilliams

cassandrawilliams New Member Registered

arealhuman likes this.
  8. gypsysmum2

gypsysmum2 Well-Known Member Registered

First thing I saw in the Widipedia link was that dogs are carnivores. This is not strictly true. They are omnivores and can live as vegetarians. I have seen a dog fed on branded vegetarian dog food and it looked amazing. This error makes me suspicious that the article is biased against commercial dog foods in general. Yes there are some bad ones but there are also some excellent ones. Just do your research or ask those on here who have already done it!

9. spanielmad

spanielmad New Member Registered

I feed my two naturediet - does anyone else here feed that? Had a look at the allaboutdogfood website, great site, i haven't come across it before - naturediet scored 4 on there. I noticed though that all the comments on there about it were about two years old! I took on my second (and last!) dog three weeks ago. She was being fed Baker's (yes, i know!) after a gradual introduction, she is now fully on naturediet, and is much less hyper. Whether that's due to the fact that she now gets a lot more excercise than she did in her previous home, a lot more interaction and the change in diet - or could be all three. My dog's also get raw bones and i use things like ham or chicken for training treats. Both my dog's lead very active lives, and i haven't felt the need to substitute food when giving treats. As Willow is new to us, I'll be monitoring her weight more closely.

arealhuman likes this.
  10. gypsysmum2

gypsysmum2 Well-Known Member Registered

Spanielmad, Bakers is known to make dogs hyper. Probably to do with all the artificial colouring in it :(

11. arealhuman

Glad to see this thread is generating a lot of discussion - thanks for all the input, it's really, really useful for a new owner like me!

Wikipeida - a great resource, but don't rely on everything written there (like some "journalists" do).

Bakers - never used it, it was in my dog's adoption agreement that we're not to give it to him. Even turned down a free gist of Baker's food!

Thanks again :)

Update - the Wiki article, and other advice I've read, says garlic is toxic to dogs, which I understood to be correct. That said, I've also received advice that a small amount of garlic in dog food can help prevent fleas. Anyone heard this before?

12. spanielmad

spanielmad New Member Registered

I know, that's why i got her off it as soon as i could! Never heard about garlic being good for fleas

13. JoanneF

Excuseme will probably explain better but a small amount of garlic is ok, however in large doses it is toxic. I'm not sure how much is too much, and whether it has a cumulative effect.

14. arealhuman

The transition to Gentle food only should be made this week for my dog!

JoanneF likes this.
  15. tomgregn

tomgregn New Member Registered

Hi guys - just new to this forum and found this post really helpful thank you. I have a puppy who is 11 months old and I took him off kibble as soon as I could and now I alternate between a company that home cooks for you and the raw diet also. I think the all about dog food website is great as well. Does anyone else home cook for their dog?

16. JoanneF

I didn't realise there were companies who cook for you. Sounds interesting, who are they?

17. tomgregn

Ye these are the guys https://butternutbox.com/ my dog absolutely loves the food. I believe they are pretty new and I've been using them for the past 5 months or so...

18. Peegee

Peegee Active Member Registered

I Tomgregn, can you tell me how much the food is. Their website doesn't give any indication of prices and I don't want to encourage a load of emails!

19. tomgregn

Hey Peegee, it ends up being £3 a day for me. I have signed up for their 400g box subscription. I think if you scroll down on the homepage a bit it will give you a good idea on the prices. Does that help?

20. Peegee

Peegee Active Member Registered

Thanks Tomgregn. I'll take another look but this does sound quite expensive. We currently use a high quality kibble but only works out to about £1 per day!

tomgregn likes this.