The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dog in season

Discussion in 'Terrier' started by Becky1586, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Becky1586

Becky1586 New Member Registered

Hi, I have two female dogs. One is a jack Russell & 4 years old and has been spayed. The other is a Yorkshire terrier cross king charles spaniel, she is 15 months old & just started her second season. What I wondering is my Jack Russell has started humping my Yorkshire terrier since her season began. Is this normal & why does she do it? My husband laughs & says she is gay. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you

2. dogmatize

dogmatize Closed Accounts

This is perfectly normal behaviour. Do not worry about it. I have never looked in to the theories behind it because it's never bothered us!

Someone else with more knowledge of the thinking behind dog behaviour will be along to help you soon :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2016
    Becky1586 likes this.
  3. Biker John

Biker John Well-Known Member Registered

My spayed female Whippet humps my male Shih Tzu when she gets excited. He don't worry about it at all. But as a friend said, how many males would object to a slim, long legged good looking blond getting fruity with them.

Becky1586 likes this.
  4. gypsysmum2

gypsysmum2 Well-Known Member Registered

It is just a natural instinct. Dogs do not "think" they just react to stimulus. She is being stimulated by the smell of your in-season bitch and it triggers a reaction.

If you want it to stop just distract her with something she enjoys doing more.

Becky1586 likes this.