The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog itching looking for a good remedy

Gary01

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all.
As mentioned above, my 10 year old border collie X has had a skin issue for a couple of months now.
It started in early August when I noticed he was scratching and biting at himself. He was due his flea treatment so that was administered, However, the issue continued. I gave him some piriton which didn't really do much.
The vets was the next stop. They checked for fleas, which he was clear of. They gave us some hugely expensive tablets called Apoquel. He had 12 days worth. These slowed things down, but didn't stop it. Now the tablets are finished, it's starting to ramp up again. I'm looking to try a good lotion or shampoo, or something along those lines.
If anyone has any recommendations I would be grateful.
He mainly seems to scratch his tummy with his back foot while standing up.
He has not had any food or environment changes.
Thanks

I always tend to jump on board by asking what you are feeding and what make, as diet can affect these things and can start quiet suddenly without any apparent reason.

Last edited:
I would also go back to the vet and ask if it's possible to investigate to find the exact cause.

I agree, trying to find the cause is better than treating the symptom.

Food, as suggested. Environment - indoors, have you changed detergents or similar?

For outdoor irritants, you could try wiping him down with a wet cloth after each walk. And, because it's his mainly affecting his tummy, that would be my bet for the cause. There might be a plant he is coming into contact with that has been prolific over the last couple of months, or a plant mould.

Oatmeal baths are soothing.

Hi Gary!

Was just wondering if you've managed to find a solution to your dog's itchiness? I suffered from the same issues with my dog Charlie, and actually discovered that it was due to an imbalance of her gut microbiome. Similarly, I didn't want to put her on apoquel or cytopoint because it was expensive, didn't solve the root issue and came at the cost of her overall health.

Using these insights I tweaked her diet and she's actually made a full recovery! (Turns out she was deficient in fat-degrading bacteria causing her to exhibit allergy-like symptoms).

For the UK you can check out our newly expanded company - Treat Therapeutics (can't post links yet - but you can find us on google!). Really hope we can help.

Source: I'm a microbiome researcher, health fanatic & now founder at Treat Therapeutics!

Hi Gary01,

Sorry to hear that your pet is still suffering from skin issues,

Here are some of the common causes that the condition can be due

- Fleas and other parasites

- Mites and lice

- Allergies

- Skin infections

- Wounds

- Hormone problems

Skin conditions can be very uncomfortable and often very painful, especially if they are severe or go on for a long time.

As your vet is currently treating your pet's skin issue I would suggest you contact your vet again to discuss your pet's skin issue.

Hope that's helps

Vetonlines:)

I'm going through an allegy thing with mine just now, it started with her anal glands, had them emptied a few times, changed her diet etc, put her on glandex pellets, bought the wipes, she was on the expensive antihistamine you mentioned, then recently a steroid cream twice daily, i have for the last 3 weeks had her on a shop bought antihistamine same ingredients as expensive on, then the other day she was scooting like mad, took her to vets, he asked if i had left over cream which i had, so was told to use that, used as soon as we got back from vets, took about 20 mins to kick in and she seemed bit settled, was scooting again before bed, so gave her a antihistamine, seemed to settle after half hour, then at 3am she was very restless and panting, let her out in garden, but she just started scooting, so wiped her with glandex wipe, and applied the steroid cream (betafuse) took about half hour till she settled wrapped in her blanket, took her back to bed at 5am she was fine till 10 am, went for our walk did her business, but wasn't in playful mood, back home wiped her and applied cream, shes been eating and drinking ok, but still uncomfortable, rang vets they advised to persivere with cream and gave me appointment for 5pm thursday, told me to use compress to rear end, and if scooting stops to cancel appointment, i am at a loss as to whats causing her this bother, anal area is always cleaned and groomed , ive dine everything the 4 different vets at the practice ive seen, i suggested sudocreme but that wasn't answered, just use compress, shes sleeping now but i know shes not herself,hope you fid something that helps, and not like me going round un circles, expensive ones at that

Hi Maltese, I have been having a similar problem. Previous vets I went to were terrible, 5 visits with 5 different vets all with different opinions, spent a fortune only for the 4th vet to check her anal glands (Biddy squealed) say they were full and attempt to empty them. Since then she has gone mad scooting and rubbing her bottom everywhere till she has made herself sore and swollen. She was fine before.
Changed vets and I cannot be happier. The first one checked and said one of her glands was blocked and hard.
(I am convinced that the previous vet caused this it is just too much of a coincidence) The new vet was wonderful and explained everything in detail. Said there was chance of infection but before going down that route to try warm compresses for one week to see if it would soften and to continue using the sudo cream which I had been doing, no expensive creams, antibiotics or anything else which I am sure the first practice I attended would have sent me home with.
This fantastic caring vet was on holiday the following week but recommended another vet for me to see as she did not want me to leave everything for too long
The second vet who was also patient and kind checked her anal glands and said there was definitely improvement. The one had softened and she was able to empty a bit more, she does not think they will need to be irrigated and did not want to prescribe anything yet as she felt they were improving so I need to return now in 2 weeks but to continue the compresses
All I have done is tear a t shirt into 7 pieces, put them in a bowl of very hot water and use them one at a time until they cool. Biddy does not like me messing with her but she does settle and let me do this. It does take 15 to 20 mins but seems to be doing the job. The vet also said it could be soothing.
It may cost me 3 vet visits which is expensive but it is working and does'nt involve any treatments or a procedure which I was dreading as she would have needed sedation. Hope this helps

Excellent news, and as a bonus, you have found two really good vets.

Thanks Hemlock I cannot praise this practice enough. I only have the choice of 2 where I live, I just wish I had come to this one first.

That is fantastic news about finding a good vets @Sus, for you and Biddy! :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back