• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

• UNSURE

• Total voters

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Mark Roberts said:
Have to agree with Whippetman.
A liscence sceame wont stop animal cruelty in anyway. the sick people who abuse animals often steal the animal 1st then abuse it as with the Dalmation on another thread?.

what it would do if run like the car registration we have now is hold the last registerd keeper responsible should an animal end up in a shelter/rescue, if the last registerd owner was either unwilling or unable to look after that animal then they could be held financialy responsible for it's upkeep till  a new home was found and the ownership detailsd transfered over to the new registerd keeper.

if the previous owner could not be traced for some reason then the responsibility could then fall on the breeder to rehome it.

Not sure how all that would be paid for ?  :(

we don't know that the dally pup was stolen (although it is likely) if it had been abused by it's owner then said owner could be traced, wouldn't this be a good thing?

we are coming up to the christmas period in a few months, so many dogs are bought on a whim then disgarded by people without fear of reprisal, I would have thought that this sort of person might give more concideration before buying a dog if there is a chance that they will be held responsible.

the last registered keeper thing had crossed my mind, maybe more thought would be given to who bought a dog from them if they were held ultimately responsible,

Yup, think bringing in a licence would'nt really change the way caring folks went about their everyday doings with their dogs...just add another thing to do. Would'nt really effect the one's that did'nt give a sh*t either.

Having something equivallent to a SORN (as with motor vehicles), does give some accountability, but from what I can gather does'nt really work that well either-yes with conciencious people jogs them along, with one's that abandon vehicles dont think it causes any sleepless nights.

this is what is needed, more input and ideas, :thumbsup:

so a lot of you don't like the idea of a licence, you see it as just another tax, fair enough,

someone please come up with a better system, if you think it's fine as it is just go and have another look at the strung up dally.

I dont have the answers beaker - wish i did :(

Think there are things we must act on as and when we see or suspect wrong doing, through the available channels while working towards a better system. Having said that it is frustrating and heartbreaking, I know...still think there have been many advancements in animal welfare over my lifetime already...although there is a long way still to go.

Re-reading Drabbles book recently "Of Pedigree Unknown"..."He told us that if he made a mess in the house we should rub his nose in it and give him a good hiding; instead we should simply have put him out of doors, after meals and sleep...Good hidings and long periods of banishment merely made him so sensitive that he would suddenly take fright for no apparent reason..." that was in my childhood acceptable practice for housetraining - makes me wince now reading it...so think there have been advancements, toward the good.

How best to go about things? Well personally try to do something at the time something comes to light...up against it at times. One incident really bugs me still...which would be about 5 years ago going back to the car at a championship show witnessed a guy beating the cr*p out of his German Wirehair Pointer, by the time I got across the car park he was in his van and away - went to the ring and benches for that breed, asked around as to if anyone knew who he was, got the impression some of them did, but nobody was all that bothered and no information was forthcoming...I was bothered and still am...that display was in a reasonably public place - what went on at home :blink: ? How would having a licence changed anything for that dog? Its attitude that needs changed foremost IMHO.

bappit said:
I dont have the answers beaker - wish i did :(
Think there are things we must act on as and when we see or suspect wrong doing, through the available channels while working towards a better system. Having said that it is frustrating and heartbreaking, I know...still think there have been many advancements in animal welfare over my lifetime already...although there is a long way still to go.

Re-reading Drabbles book recently "Of Pedigree Unknown"..."He told us that if he made a mess in the house we should rub his nose in it and give him a good hiding; instead we should simply have put him out of doors, after meals and sleep...Good hidings and long periods of banishment merely made him so sensitive that he would suddenly take fright for no apparent reason..." that was in my childhood acceptable practice for housetraining - makes me wince now reading it...so think there have been advancements, toward the good.

How best to go about things? Well personally try to do something at the time something comes to light...up against it at times. One incident really bugs me still...which would be about 5 years ago going back to the car at a championship show witnessed a guy beating the cr*p out of his German Wirehair Pointer, by the time I got across the car park he was in his van and away - went to the ring and benches for that breed, asked around as to if anyone knew who he was, got the impression some of them did, but nobody was all that bothered and no information was forthcoming...I was bothered and still am...that display was in a reasonably public place - what went on at home :blink: ? How would having a licence changed anything for that dog? Its attitude that needs changed foremost IMHO.

wish I had the answers to- wouldn't life be great :D

the GWP probably didn't get placed how he wanted and got blamed cos he twitched when the judge looked at him :angry:

attitudes do need to change but how can they be when there are no consequences for actions.

a license won't change attitudes, i'ts not going to curb some evil little sh*ts craving to maim and kill things.

If every litter bred HAD to be chipped and tattooed by law it would discourage a lot of people from producing dogs bred purely for financial gain, even if it only brought the numbers down say 10% it would have a dramatic impact on animal welfare. If it discouraged the thousands of dangerous bull crosses bred as status symbols because the breeders could be traced, surely this would be a step in the right direction.

Well I dont know that what I was meaning about the training of dogs say 30 years ago has changed because there is a consequence to the action, think its back to gradual shifts in attitude - similarly when i was growing up the village I lived in had a lot of dogs who wandered - not strays as they had people who held licences for them and so would be classed as owned, but it was'nt particularly frowned on then to let your dog out without knowing where it was or who or what it was doing (as my parents never beleived in speying the bitches we kept my brother and I soon learnt how to deal with overardous dogs :rant: ), but it was common for unplanned litters to be offered (far too young) around the doors to begin the cycle again. My mother still lives in the village and a stray/loose dog is never seen now where once they were an everyday sight, although almost every other house does keep a dog or dogs, that change came about after the abolishment of dog licences. So again I would say there is a gradual shift in attitude, we've just got to keep going that way, all for steps in the right direction, beaker :thumbsup: .

For the record I spoke to a few officials at that show I mentioned, and the general opinion given with a shrug was "Oh, it must have done something wrong" :x :x :x

i sadly agree that its mainly bull breeds that are mated for status and profit. from what i've seen on k9, the racing breeds seem to remain remarkably pure, regardless of paperwork.

i pray none of my girls descendants are used this way :( i've safe guarded the litter as best i could, by inserting several clauses as grounds for retrieving them, including being mated to unregistered animals, being used as stock for the fighting fraternity, withholding medical treatment (including worming & jabs) as well as insisting regular contact that i can verify these clauses are being adhered to. i didnt put that they arent to be mated, as 5 of the 7 have gone to show homes. what i'm afraid of is that should any of their owners decide to breed from them, that THEY wont be as thorough. a licencing scheme would be a step towards protecting them.

Dont know what to suggest to make a fool proof enforceable system that would ensure that dog thefts dropped, lost dogs were reunited and cruelty was traced...but if such a system was possible I would be more than happy to pay to have my dogs part of it. :thumbsup:

The downside I can see of every litter having to be chipped or tatooed is who is going to know? Presumably a vet would have to check a dog if it is taken for treatment, so that may discourage people with 'illegal' dogs to take them for treatment. :angry:

I voted NO . (w00t) mainly cos the resposible would pay it and those that do all the abandoning and irresposible owners would nt bother any way . :rant:

The government have trouble getting people to pay car tax,and insurance so the dog licence would come well down the list of proirties wouldnt it .

The old one was stopped , I believe through it costing to much in paperwork/ man hours to issue .

I used to pay my 7 s 6 d . :oops: like a good girl for my 4 greyhounds . o:)

As for the people who wouldnt be able to afford the licence , but would they pay for inoculations ?, maybe like me, and lots of others they dont bother with jabs at all or dont booster :- "

Let them concentrae on getting ID`s for us who SHOULD be in this country and sorting out illegal imigrants :rant: /

As much as I would like to see ALL animals well cared for , Im afraid there is always going to be the element who disregard human and animal life alike . :angry:

The old one was stopped , I believe through it costing to much in paperwork/ man hours to issue
isn't the old system still running? I remember it being 37p? i'm sure you can still buy the liscence but the government decided like you say it was too costly to enforce?.

We already Have Dog licensing in Northern Ireland £5 per dog Or 15 For a Block Licence and I have to say it does not cut down on the amout of stray dogs the theft of dogs or cruelty.

There is only 1 way to stop people who are cruel or allow their dog to stay and cause a nuicence and that is do not allow them to keep a dog (virtually imposible to control) Whack them with hefty fine & send them to jail with proper terms and no tv or table tennis or any other nice things.

Acts of cruety make my blood boil and dont think I could control myself if I saw anything like that.

There also seems to be the ever more popular dog fighting rings poping up too - Cant stand this is a deplorable act against our wonderful companions & friends.

End of the day, even if it was brought back it would not be enforced! :angry:

As somebody has already said it'd only be the responsible people that would conform.

They put signs up saying no fouling but it's too costly to bring a prosecution for a £50 fine! :- " (Council Dog warden's words not mine!)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back