The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog Separation Anxiety Help

willow44

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all whippet lovers. I have a beautiful 4.5 month old whippet and she is suffering from separation anxiety. I have tried everything. Should i get another whippet for company or will this be double the trouble. I hate seeing my whippet so stressed. What should i do?

willow44 said:
Hello all whippet lovers.  I have a beautiful 4.5 month old whippet and she is suffering from separation anxiety. I have tried everything.  Should i get another whippet for company or will this be double the trouble. I hate seeing my whippet so stressed. What should i do?
Hi there, I'm sure you will get different views from people on here but these are just my suggestions. My whippet pup had terrible sep/anxiety even though I had another whippet as well and they are a "clingy" breed. When I had her she wouldn't accept a crate at any cost so when I went out, albeit for short periods, I used to dread coming home knowing there would be a lot of mess. I was told to do all sorts of things but what worked for me was to start going out for just 10 mins at a time, not to make a big fuss before I went and when I came back she would go mad and although hard to do I would ignore her until she calmed down. I never locked her in one room as this made her worse instead I put a child gate up and this she didnt mind. At first she would go to the loo in the kitchen, chewed floor tiles etc but gradually it stopped albeit it did take many months. I used to ignore the damage and just clear it up without reacting to it. I would add that even if I didn't need to go out I would and then when she was ok just increased the time she was left alone. I know some people use the DAP diffusers which can help and I think they do collars as well. I'm sure other people on here can explain better but I hope things settle down for you both.

Angela :))

Personally I'd try to tackle the separation anxiety first. Getting another dog for company won't necessarily solve anything, and it could end up with her behaviour and anxiety rubbing off on the new dog so you'd have even more of a problem on your hands.

Is it very severe - ie, are you not able to leave the room without her getting upset, or is it just if she's left for longer periods?

There are a few people on this site who've had experience with dogs with separation anxiety who might be able to give good advice.

Both the suggestions above sound very helpful. Have you tried leaving some unwashed clothing items so the whippet has your "aroma" in her presence. I always leave a radio on for company. Some Bach Flower rescue drops may allieviate the anxiety as well. Try leaving toys and maybe a kong filled with treats to amuse her in your absence.

FeeFee said:
Personally I'd try to tackle the separation anxiety first. Getting another dog for company won't necessarily solve anything, and it could end up with her behaviour and anxiety rubbing off on the new dog so you'd have even more of a problem on your hands.
Is it very severe - ie, are you not able to leave the room without her getting upset, or is it just if she's left for longer periods?

There are a few people on this site who've had experience with dogs with separation anxiety who might be able to give good advice.

Yes i would say it is quite severe. If i leave the room she follows, if i go upstairs she whines and creates like mad. I have tried a stuffed kong, radio on, tv on, my clothes, changing my routine before i go out, toys, blankets, herbal remedies. I have a puppy gates. She sleeps in a crate in our room at night and loves it. She also loves the settee and blanket she has during the day. She's not interested in anything when she stressing out (even a kong stuffed with her favourite treat). If i go out and my hubby stays home with her he says she paces the house, whines, keeps wanting to in and out looking for me and won't have anything to do with anyone.

The fact that she's stressing when you're out even when your husband is there sounds less like separation anxiety than that she's maybe over-bonded with you to the exclusion of everybody else?

Obviously I don't know how much your husband does with her at the moment, but the advice would usually be for you to stand back a bit from her care for a while, and for your husband to feed her, walk her and play with her more so she loses some of her dependence on you.

FeeFee said:
The fact that she's stressing when you're out even when your husband is there sounds less like separation anxiety than that she's maybe over-bonded with you to the exclusion of everybody else?
Obviously I don't know how much your husband does with her at the moment, but the advice would usually be for you to stand back a bit from her care for a while, and for your husband to feed her, walk her and play with her more so she loses some of her dependence on you.

My husband does take her out and play with her but not as much as me. I think your right though perhaps if i get him to fed her and be even more involved then she would be less dependent on me. Thank you very much for the advise i will try this and see if it helps.

Hey there!

Im new to the site so my advice may not carry as much weight as some of the other people who posted lol

My whippet girl was terrible being left, shed chew destroy and even consumed my ibuprofen tablets!

What i did was keep her in my bedroom when i went out, i took everything off the floor that she may destroy and let her sleep in there when away.

It worked wonders as she sleeps in my room and thinks of the bedroom as a nice calm area, it calmed her down no end. now i can leave when i want without worrying about destroyed furniture! :D

The only bit of advice I can offer is make sure you dont make a fuss of her when you leave. Give her a tasty chew to concentrate on while you leave, and dont make a fuss when you come home.... difficult I know but maybe put the kettle on and sit down first. That way she wont be waiting for the exciting greeting that she is expecting.

Good luck.

Hello all whippet lovers. I have a beautiful 4.5 month old whippet and she is suffering from separation anxiety. I have tried everything. Should i get another whippet for company or will this be double the trouble. I hate seeing my whippet so stressed. What should i do?
Hi There,

I can feel your anguish with you new whippet. I had terrible trouble with my whippet with separation anxiety. Having had two whippets before Bao who never showed any signs of separation it was completely new to me. My last whippet who sadly had to be put to sleep due to severe epilepsy at 14 months never showed any signs of separation. I could leave her for hours and she would be quite happy to be on her own.

When I got Bao I simply did as I had done with my last whippet. I would leave him in the laundry only for a short while if I had to go anywhere, only to com home to chewed door frames and doggy doo everywhere. I resorted to leaving him ourside while I was away, only to come home to the back dorr being chewed to bits. As time when on I persisted in leaving him alone for short periods with the back bloked so he couldn't get to it. This seemed to work for a while and I thought I had things under control. I then started to leave Bao alone inside the house again for short periods. Thinking I had cured his separation I left him for a hour one night while I when to the supermarket only to come home to the carpet in my living rooms ripped up to the floor boards. You could imaging my anguish. I felt terrible for Bao that he was that upset but also felt I was loosing the battle. I turned to my vet who suggested medication, which I denied. A week later I had to go out and left Bao outside, gotinto my car in the front and only before closing the car door I heard a banging noise at the fence. Looking around I see Bao attempting to jump a six foot fence and he succeeded. I was completey a wreck and did take up the vets advice for medication. Bao was on Prozac for some months however I would have to say this made no difference to him. I read all the books I could, had private trainers and enrolled in obediance training. I ended up taking Bao to work with me terrified he would escape.

Bao is now nearly two and I have to say that time has almost cured him. I persisted with ignoring him before I left and when I returned. I persisted with Obediance training. I also would not allow Bao on any coaches or my bed. I gave him plenty of excerise everyday. I also made a point of having very clear rules atround the house. I know this sounds stricked but I felt I had to be as well as giving him plenty of love. If I ever did come back to a anything chewed I would ignor it and ignor Bao.

I also felt that during this time my own anxiety was so high and I also went through a time where I would not leave Bao alone for a minute only made things worse.

My advice to you is making sure you leave you puppy alone everyday even if you are not going out just go for a drivce for 10 - 15 minutes. Enroll in obedience training, I'm sure this helped and occupied his mind. Exercise him daily off leash if possible, whippets need to run. During this traing period, no couches, no beds, only the dogs bed. Its only now I let Bao up on the couch for a treat.

Finally I think whippets are on the nervous side, they love human contact and I think Bao will always hate it when I go out, however I now have him to a point where he doesn't destoy anything and dosn't whine.

Hi, i found giving Alby a really good run before i had to go out helped him to settle. I stopped letting him sleep upstairs with me and instead he now sleeps in a massive crate with Hubble ( my other whippet). He wasn't impressed to start with but now he goes straight in when its bedtime. I also make him go out for walkies with a friend of mine and i stay at home, again Alby wasn't impressed but now goes off without me ....... doesnt even look back :unsure: I can now go out during the day without Alby eating the house or howling the place down but i did this gradually. Looking back i think it was totally my fault he got too clingy, but since i've changed what im doing Alby is 100% better at being left and seems a more contented and relaxed dog.

I don't have a whippet but do have some experience with seperation anxiety. All of the above suggestions are fantastic and I just wanted to add that you may want to try the DAP plug in. It looks like an air freshener and plugs in the wall. Its quite expensive but its worth giving it a try. It helps the dog to remain calm.

Good luck. let us know how you are getting along.

I had a whippet with the most severe separation anxiety and I also had 3 other dogs so getting another dog will not be of any help and you might even end up with 2 of them with it . The advice others have given is good and I would say you must persevere , my whippet had stopped it by the time she was 2 but it was tough at the time :sweating:

I would stress I'm no kind of expert on this, but I put together some basic advice for someone who adopted a dog recently who was showing signs of SA just from my own experience (Taz, my lurcher, was a nightmare when I first adopted him. We did get through it, but it is one of the most difficult things to cope with, I think. Point 1. obviously relates to bringing a new dog into the home rather than proboems with an existing dog.

1. Don't go overboard with fuss and attention at first.

If your dog has your attention constantly when you are

there then she's going to get upset if that is suddenly withdrawn when you

go out. My own policy with new dogs coming in here is to be very 'casual'

with them at first, give them a stroke if they come over but basically

carry on with 'normal life' and let them fit in rather than paying them

loads of attention.

2. Don't allow the dog to shadow you round the house - encourage them to

be independent and happy to settle in a room alone for short periods with

a chew or a kong if necessary. Don't coddle them if they seem anxious as

that just reinforces that there is something to worry about.

3. Don't make a big deal of going out or coming home, leave without big

goodbyes or seeming anxious yourself and don't make a huge fuss of the dog

the minute you walk in through the door. Get in, take your coat off, put

the kettle on and potter for a few minutes before taking any notice of the

dog.

4. Start with going out for short periods, 10 mins or so, and build it up

gradually. A good walk before you leave helps.

5. If the problem is boredom rather than SA, then things like a Buster

Ball or frozen stuffed kong can keep them busy.

6. Training classes are a good idea, and enforcing some basic obedience

(ie making the dog sit for treats etc) helps, as dogs are generally less

anxious if they see their owner as being 'in charge'.

7. Rescue Remedy and/or a DAP diffuser might help.

I would persevere with using a crate. I think a lot of people have psychological issues with putting their dog in a 'cage' - they feel that it is cruel and like putting their dog in jail. Buy a crate that your dog can stand and and stretch comfortably in and consistently train it to use it - you are the boss. Feed your dog in it and put his toys in it, let him spend time in it while you are in the house getting on with your day-to-day activities. Make him sleep in it at night. Cover it with a rug to make it dark and cosy. Get him used to it and do not give up. At least then when you leave your house you know that your dog is safe in his crate and not destroying your house - remember you are doing it for his own safety.

Hi, i'm new to this site and have a 16 month old rescue whippet who's had similar problems with SA. In the beginning he would follow me around the house all the time, if i closed a door he would throw himself at it! I found that letting him follow me for the first few months was the only way for him to understand that i wasn't going anywhere for long and now he takes no notice of me at all when i'm in the house (apart from pinching my warm spot on the sofa as soon as i leave the room!). It certainly was a very trying first few months!! I just had to be really patient and persevere. The worst time was when i left the house, my whippet would launch himself at the window with quite some force and if the back door was open try to leap our 6 foot fence with great success. I was recommended to use a crate by the rescue organization. It does feel horrible when you first start using it, but with a few familiar blankets, toys and chews he does seem to settle in it fairly well, especially with a cover over the top, i think he feels very secure. He takes himself off to his crate now, even when i'm home. I also practice leaving the house without a fuss and when i return not giving him any attention until he calms down. I do agree he is most settled when he's had a good long walk first. I did also try the hormone diffuser which i would certainly suggest using while they get used to the crate. Although i have found if i'm around the house more one week and not popping out so much he seems to chew the bars on the crate and become more anxious waiting for me to get home. I think leaving your whippet for regular short periods is def a good plan, they soon realize that if they settle down you will be home soon.

I don't know if this helps anyone at all, but if anyone has any more good advice about helping whippets to cope it would be much appreciated. I really would like to be able to leave his cage open at some point, i did try it the other day and found when i returned home i had a whippet with his face stuck to the glass of my front room window after destroying all the blinds!! :(

I have ordered a heated dog bed for his crate to try and make him feel more secure, he seems much more settled in very warm areas of the house, but i guess only time will tell if it does any good.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back